Whites Page 10

Quote: Chappers @ October 6 2010, 11:47 PM BST

Shouldn't that be "If God didn't want us to eat animals....?"

But I'm sure he doesn't want us to make them either, he'd be out of work.

The humour here is okay to keep the engine ticking while you bring home the big gags - but there are no big gags.

Trouble is, the majority of modern sitcoms have no big gags. And they also seem to be written in this same dreary style.
They're so concerned in making the shows "real", they forget to add jokes.
Outnumbered, Roger And Val, Gavin And Stacey, to name but a few. Oh, and this.

I prefer sitcoms that make you belly laugh.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 8 2010, 12:42 AM BST

Trouble is, the majority of modern sitcoms have no big gags. And they also seem to be written in this same dreary style.

You should watch Channel 4 more often.

Outnumbered makes me laugh loads!

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ October 8 2010, 12:42 AM BST

I don't fully agree with your analysis - Outnumbered is one of the most laugh-out-loud sitcoms of the decade, and certainly not dreary despite its realism - but the point of this plodding reality being a trend is a very accurate one. And IMO disappointing.

Who plays the character in tonight's White's that looked like Harry Potter?

?
I didn't notice one!
Which character do you mean?

In my opinion it's nothing to do with being realistic, naturalistic, surreal, one camera, two camera, filmed in front of an audience, done live, animated, etc, it's all to do with whether the script is funny and the characters are believable (and generally likable at least in some small way).

Whites doesn't work for me because I don't sympathize with any of the characters, they are all pretty much as hideous as each other (the only other type of characters are "Dobby", who's retarded, and the Sous Chef, who's a complete wet blanket) AND it's not funny enough, the gags are weak and forced.

I'm not understanding the not the liking of this. I thought the lastest episode was the best so far. Lots of out loud laughs.

Contrary to what Tony thinks, and seemingly opposite of my own thoughts of Him & Her, I really like the characterisation and think that is much stronger than the plot itself. This week (the whole 'arm' thing) just didn't seem as strong plot-wise, but I like the characters a lot and that kept me going through. I'm finding it very enjoyable, in all honesty.

Dan

Saw this for the first time last night and I wasn't impressed. Nothing new here, it's only mildly funny even when it thinks it's being quite funny, as in the Parkinson's scene. It's following a formula the BBC have developed in the last year or so, of 30 minute comedy drama trying to give sitcom a new angle, because they now call it a sitcom (when it's a comedy drama).

Even though Rev was a success, this follows on far too soon and what with Roger and Val, Grandma's House and Him & Her all refusing to follow the traditional laugh filled studio sitcom format, it all looks a bit samey and a bit formulated, but that's the BBC for you I suppose, they get a new formula in and do it to death within a year.

Whites looks tired, weak, unoriginal and a bit flat, they'd have been better scheduling this later in the year when there's more studio sitcoms on to break it up a bit. I think the BBC are losing the plot in their comedy scheduling.

Regarding the comedy variety (or lackthereof), I can't help but agree.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 20 2010, 11:11 PM BST

Even though Rev was a success, this follows on far too soon and what with Roger and Val, Grandma's House and Him & Her all refusing to follow the traditional laugh filled studio sitcom format, it all looks a bit samey and a bit formulated, but that's the BBC for you I suppose, they get a new formula in and do it to death within a year.

Despite there being no laughter track I was thinking it was a very traditional sitcom in all other manners. I've only watched two and expected very little, as Alan Davies was in the lead.

However I enjoyed quite a few moments, although it's about time the ubiquitous Katherine Parkinson took a holiday, as there are plenty of other decent comedy actresses out there.
It's not Fawlty Towers and would benefit from a BBC One slot as well.

Being a chef myself I was overly excited about this up and coming sitcom. At the end of the first episode I was left not wanting to tune in again, but hey never mind what do I know? Hope it gets better.

Maybe there is a laugh track and the operator is just waiting for a single funny joke to add the laughter.