Grandma's House - Series 1 Page 33

Ha!
That would be good, actually.

That would be inspired. I hope someone at the Beeb is reading this ;)

I still couldn't laugh at this last night but can't say it was not enjoyable. I still say it's not sitcom IMO

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 4:22 PM BST

I still say it's not sitcom IMO

It definitely is a sitcom. A comedy, with a situation.

I don't find it particularly funny but that's my personal taste. I still recognise that it's a sitcom.

To me it's just the situation part, no comedy, so I'd class it as a drama.
What I find as well, is that it is too quick fire, no one pauses so the viewers can 'laugh'. It's lines one after the other at great speed.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 5:01 PM BST

To me it's just the situation part, no comedy, so I'd class it as a drama.

Then it's just a sitcom you don't find funny.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2010, 5:11 PM BST

Then it's just a sitcom you don't find funny.

Maybe but I suspect it's funnier on the page. I admit I don't laugh/understand a lot of comedy designed for a young audience and I can't get at all, alternative stuff but this is a family/all ages type programme and I should be able to laugh at some stage but it's not happening....as I said, not for me.

Finally caught up with this. Don't really know what the general consensus here is (can't be arsed to trawl this thread) but basically by the end of the first episode I thought it was a poor Royle Family rip-off, and Simon Amstell annoyed me because he looked like he was constantly on the brink of laughing, a bit like the Guv'nor in Time Gentlemen. Oh and I couldn't quite get over how much the Grandad character looks like Sid James, not that that's a bad thing.

By the end of episode two however I was hooked. The characters all slotted into place and I suddenly got it. This isn't a poor Royle Family rip-off at all. It's a comedy in the same style as The Royle Family but has enough of its own identity to stand apart from it. It's funny without feeling forced, the characters are solid and well-observed and the whole thing has real heart.

I think it might need a second series to really find its feet but I'm very impressed. I also imagine it's a show that'll polarise people in the same The Royle Family did.

For me though, liking it a lot.

Did The Royle Family polarise people? I thought it was generally well loved.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 6:21 PM BST

but this is a family/all ages type programme

Yeah, because parents love sitting down with their kids to watch storylines about prostate cancer...

Quote: Ben @ September 7 2010, 6:34 PM BST

Did The Royle Family polarise people? I thought it was generally well loved.

Not in my experience. Definitely a Marmite-Com.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 7 2010, 6:31 PM BST

Finally caught up with this. Don't really know what the general consensus here is (can't be arsed to trawl this thread)

I think all but two people agree with you :D

so you must of course all be right

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 8:03 PM BST

You're sensible enough to know that there is no right or wrong when it comes to personal taste. It's either popular or not.

Quote: bushbaby @ September 7 2010, 8:03 PM BST

Well, if someone likes it they can't be 'wrong', can they? Same as if you don't like it.

yes agree, I asked about 30 of my friends as I thought I was losing it and 28 didn't think it funny but liked it. I think it's in the editing. There are no pauses after a 'funny' line and no camera on the reaction of the other actor receiving the 'pun'. Acting is all about reacting and that makes all the difference