Do men and women have a different sense of humour? Page 4

For my American perspective, men like gross out humour, and the rougher the language the better. Women seem to like stuff that's more subtle.

Quote: Nogget @ February 25 2010, 2:24 PM GMT

On dating sites, women would often say that wanted a man who could make them laugh. What is sexy to women about men being funny?

Wit over looks, generally (for the people I know, anyway).

For women who like joking about, it's irritating to go out with someone who can't banter.

For others, it's about intelligience.

For others, it's a lie.

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 2:39 PM GMT

For women who like joking about, it's irritating to go out with someone who can't banter.

Interesting, I didn't realise that.

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 2:39 PM GMT

For others, it's about intelligience.

But other demonstrations of intelligence wouldn't be so sexy, I presume? Like being a professor?

Quote: Nogget @ February 25 2010, 2:56 PM GMT

But other demonstrations of intelligence wouldn't be so sexy, I presume? Like being a professor?

Oh yeah....

Hm.

Maybe it's to do with a perception of "cool" then.

I don't think most women are bothered. Besides, a lot of women laugh at men's jokes regardless of their quality.

It might be a bit of a myth, really, although there's certainly a type of woman that wouldn't want to go out with a man that wasn't funny.

Curious: does it work the other way round? Is the whole idea of men being threatened by funny women a myth? (I've always presumed so...)

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 3:01 PM GMT

Curious: does it work the other way round? Is the whole idea of men being threatened by funny women a myth? (I've always presumed so...)

I'm pretty sure a lot of men don't like it. They feel it's their role to be the funny ones.

Quote: Nogget @ February 25 2010, 3:10 PM GMT

I'm pretty sure a lot of men don't like it. They feel it's their role to be the funny ones.

So that's why no one will have sex with me. (Don't argue, it's what I want to believe...)

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 3:01 PM GMT

Oh yeah....

Hm.

Maybe it's to do with a perception of "cool" then.

I don't think most women are bothered. Besides, a lot of women laugh at men's jokes regardless of their quality.

It might be a bit of a myth, really, although there's certainly a type of woman that wouldn't want to go out with a man that wasn't funny.

It's not threatening in a Dawinian way is it? ;)

Quote: Marc P @ February 25 2010, 3:19 PM GMT

It's not threatening in a Dawinian way is it? ;)

I have tried to understand this reference. I really have. But it's no use.

(Does this make me more attractive? Come on, who's aroused?)

Quote: AndreaLynne @ February 25 2010, 2:29 PM GMT

For my American perspective, men like gross out humour, and the rougher the language the better. Women seem to like stuff that's more subtle.

C'mon do you forget how angy Krusty got with women comics talking about their periods?

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 3:31 PM GMT

I have tried to understand this reference. I really have. But it's no use.

(Does this make me more attractive? Come on, who's aroused?)

The survival of the fittest... does that help?

Are you muscling in on my territory, sglen? I'm usually the one Marc patronises!

Quote: Marc P @ February 25 2010, 3:36 PM GMT

The survival of the fittest... does that help?

Yes.

:$

Quote: sglen @ February 25 2010, 3:16 PM GMT

So that's why no one will have sex with me. (Don't argue, it's what I want to believe...)

Perhaps if a man imagines that only men should do humour, then when he hears a funny woman it becomes a turn-off, because to his mind, she is acting in a masculine way?

Personally I find humour in a woman to be one of THE sexiest things. We're probably no different from females in that regard.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ February 25 2010, 2:29 PM GMT

I'm completely the opposite.
It just goes to show that Men don't all have the same sense of humour as each other & nor do women.
Male & Female brains are wired slightly differently, but on the whole I think humour comes more from experience than genetics.
Although in general Women & Men may have different strengths.