Do men and women have a different sense of humour? Page 11

Quote: Nogget @ February 21 2010, 3:05 PM GMT

Do men and women have a different sense of humour? What examples can you give?

No.

I told the wife I caught crabs from the woman next door, she never laughed once...

So yes, they do have a different sense of humour...

In general, my own personal experience is that men can laugh at themselves/each other more than ladies.

Quote: AJGO @ May 20 2012, 1:00 PM BST

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/may/20/boardroom-humour-women

It is certainly true that some of the female senior managers I have worked with have been known to respond to attempts at humour with the same blank expression as a dog being shown a card trick - unless of course said attempt came from a more senior male manager, in which case they would giggle and flutter their eyelids like a schoolgirl, provided of course that others present had provided the cue by dutifully laughing.

But I am afraid that if the same female managers were assaying self-deprecatory humour themselves, then it must have been too subtle for my male brain to register. The subtext of most of what they had to say seemed to be more along the lines of, "me, me and, more particularly and importantly, me".

None of this, I should hasten to add, is true for less exalted female colleagues; and, here is the thing: whilst in the past senior male managers tended to be clubbable, affable coves skilled at putting subordinates at their ease - though no less ruthless and backstabbing for that - increasingly I am finding that these old school types are being replaced by humourless, dead-eyed drones whose clumsy attempts at light banter send a chill through to the marrow.

So what I am thinking is that, it is not so much that women have a different boardroom sense of humour to men, as that, having, as a result of positive discrimination, been promoted younger, it has been the female of the species who has been at the forefront of the rise of the lizard people who are inexorably taking control of our planet.

Looking at the article, it does seem to be a bit of a lady joke fail on leadership 101.

If you're in a meeting it's about group think, pulling together and inspiring. So making a joke about you yourself being crap is unhelpful. It both draws attention to yourself away from the group and demotivates.

Jokes are often about riding a sort of psychic wave and reflecting more on what the audience are thinking. So if you're joke is
"Ra ra smash the oposition they're shit"
then in a powered up boardroom that'll ride the wave and get a laugh
but if its
"look at me I'm rubbish"
it's going in the wrong direction.

Quote: Tursiops @ May 21 2012, 10:25 AM BST

It is certainly true that some of the female senior managers I have worked with have been known to respond to attempts at humour by others with the same blank expression as a dog being shown a card trick - unless of course said attempt came from a more senior male manager, in which case they would giggle and flutter their eyelids like a schoolgirl, provided of course that others present had provided the cue by dutifully laughing.

But I afraid that if the same female managers were assaying self-deprecatory humour themselves, then it must have been too subtle for my male brain to register. The subtext of most of what they had to say seemed to be more along the lines of, "me, me and, more particularly and importantly, me".

None of this, I should hasten to add, is true for less exalted female colleagues; and, here is the thing: whilst in the past senior male managers tended to be clubbable, affable cves skilled at putting subordinates at their ease - though none the less ruthless and backstabbing for that - increasingly I am finding that these old school types are being replaced by humourless, cold-eyed drones whose clumsy attempts at light banter send a chill through to the marrow.

So what I am thinking is that, it is not so much that women have a different boardroom sense of humour to men, as that, having, as a result of positive discrimination, been promoted younger, it has been the female of the species who has been at the forefront of the rise of the lizard people who are inexorably taking control of our planet.

Can now picture Tursiops in leather elbow patched blazer and unstylish cords. Staggering into his office smelling of pipe and booze. After an extened "lunch" at Wetherspoons whilst other people in department in sharp suits of either gender. Mutter about security of contracts and statutory retirement.

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2012, 10:32 AM BST

Can now picture Tursiops in leather elbow patched blazer and unstylish cords. Staggering into his office smelling of pipe and booze. After an extened "lunch" at Wetherspoons whilst other people in department in sharp suits of either gender. Mutter about security of contracts and statutory retirement.

This is uncannily accurate.

I'm uncanny in many ways.

It really is lucky certain people changed their names. ;)

Sootyj is of course the kind of person who has a big poster above his desk reading

"You don't have to be mad to work here, but it Wibble Badoing¬!"

whilst working in a psychiatric unit.

Different dynamics surely?

Very much in general....

Men joshing with other men is called banter
Women joshing men is called flirting
Women joshing other women is called being a bitch.

It must be tricky

Still, how many feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

One.

How many male chauvinists does it take to change a light bulb?
They're still living in the dark.

Quote: Overlay @ May 21 2012, 2:33 PM BST

Different dynamics surely?

Very much in general....

Men joshing with other men is called banter
Women joshing men is called flirting
Women joshing other women is called being a bitch.

Quite agree!

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2012, 2:38 PM BST

One.

They're still living in the dark.

heh heh.

Seriously, I'm fairly sure the answer is one also.

Quote: sootyj @ May 21 2012, 2:38 PM BST

Anything involving electricity / ladders is man's work.

'Yeah, I'm in the shop now, what kind of bulb do you need?...Yes, I know it's a white one, is it a bayonet or screw in type?...Well go and have a look at it!...Can you see slots with metal bits sticking out the sides?...Okay then, it's bayonet. Jesus wept. What wattage do you want?...Bright but not too bright? Great...Wait a second, you have bulbs under the sink...It takes special bulbs? Right, fine, what type?...Sort of candle shaped?...Do you have a name or model number?...It would be on the box...You threw the box out?...How the hell am I supposed to know what poxy bulb goes in your stupid lamp?!...I am not yelling at you!...Just stop crying and tell me...Hello?...Hello?!. Bitch hung up on me.'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 21 2012, 4:57 PM BST

Anything involving electricity / ladders is man's work.

'Yeah, I'm in the shop now, what kind of bulb do you need?...Yes, I know it's a white one, is it a bayonet or screw in type?...Well go and have a look at it!...Can you see slots with metal bits sticking out the sides?...Okay then, it's bayonet. Jesus wept. What wattage do you want?...Bright but not too bright? Great...Wait a second, you have bulbs under the sink...It takes special bulbs? Right, fine, what type?...Sort of candle shaped?...Do you have a name or model number?...It would be on the box...You threw the box out?...How the hell am I supposed to know what poxy bulb goes in your stupid lamp?!...I am not yelling at you!...Just stop crying and tell me...Hello?...Hello?!. Bitch hung up on me.'

SORT OF CANDLE SHAPED!! What is so difficult? Bloody men.

And I wasn't crying, it was hayfever.