Do men and women have a different sense of humour? Page 9

Puns often don't work well when written down. Like the old gag:
'what do you call a snooker player with a pint of beer on his head? Beatrix Potter.' Unless you say it out loud, it makes no sense.

Must admit I wasn't sure if it was clear enough written down but I didn't want to patronize the erudite readers of this forum by signposting it "Sue Perkins/Super Kings".

Laughing out loud

Erudite? Us? You're barking quite a way up the wrong tree, laddy!

Women struggle with the more complex reference-based humour. Sure, they will laugh at Peter Griffin, in a physical sense, but they won't understand the reference.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 28 2010, 12:40 PM GMT

Must admit I wasn't sure if it was clear enough written down but I didn't want to patronize the erudite readers of this forum by signposting it "Sue Perkins/Super Kings".

I must admit I've never noticed that. Is it her real name? If so she should be really pissed off with her parents.

It depends if you pronounce Perkins like normal people do i.e 'purr-kins' or 'pe - kins'. :)

Well if we think stereotypical I think I have quite a blokey sense of humour, I get very bored with female comedians who talk about being a woman as if they are a minority.

xx

Quote: One Two Four @ March 7 2010, 5:22 PM GMT

Well if we think stereotypical I think I have quite a blokey sense of humour, I get very bored with female comedians who talk about being a woman as if they are a minority.

xx

Quite old fashioned, that, nowadays.

The truth is, and most people will acknowledge this, women are not as funny.

Can there be exceptions? Sure, of course.

But even your Silvermans of this world are still woefully short of the best comedic talent. The skillsets just aren't there.

Ages ago texted, they want their really old thing back.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 2:41 PM GMT

The truth is, and most people will acknowledge this, women are not as funny.

Can there be exceptions? Sure, of course.

But even your Silvermans of this world are still woefully short of the best comedic talent. The skillsets just aren't there.

What exactly constitutes the 'best' of comedic talent though? The ones you think are funny?

Would a single female performance get anywhere near a Top 3 in any of the following genres?

1 - Standup
2 - Sitcom
3 - Sitcom character

Answer = Negatoid.

There's nothing wrong with this, it is just a fact.

Look, I love a bit of Silverman. Sure, why not? And she is very funny. But the depth of your Chris Rocks, your Gervaiss, your Davids, your Shandlings, just is not there.

True Story.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 3:11 PM GMT

Would a single female performance get anywhere near a Top 3 in any of the following genres?

1 - Standup
2 - Sitcom
3 - Sitcom character

Answer = Negatoid.

There's nothing wrong with this, it is just a fact.

Look, I love a bit of Silverman. Sure, why not? And she is very funny. But the depth of your Chris Rocks, your Gervaiss, your Davids, your Shandlings, just is not there.

True Story.

There are plenty who would say Silverman was funnier than Rock and I'd be one of them. Likewise, there are those who prefer Victoria Wood to Ricky Gervais (that wouldn't be me). And bless him, I love Larry David as a writer but as a performer Julia Davis blows him out of the water.