Seinfeld Page 16

Americans do two kinds of comedy. Complete crap or utter excellence. Seinfeld fits into the latter category. Good American comedy doesn't rely on Fawlty style slapstick, double entendres or cheap caricatures. It's much more subtle and nuanced. Considering the general image of Americans as loud and trashy, their penchant for great comedy is nothing short of amazing.

By the way, if you think Seinfeld is a fluke, take a look at the Larry Sanders Show. Nothing produced anywhere has since come even close to this level of excellence.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 13 2009, 10:19 PM GMT

Well sorry, but this is one of the things I find annoying about this and similar US sitcoms. You need three full seasons to get into it?? Most Britcoms are long over by then (in episode numbers). Sitcoms should be sprints, not marathons...it's SITCOM, you know - that unrealistic, simple half hour of fun you have on peaktime TV. Fawlty Towers, the REAL AND UNDISPUTED BEST SITCOM EVER knocked you over after four MINUTES - simple, recognisable top quality comedy fun. Seinfield?? Pah!! Sick

Also, it's arguably a bit misleading to call 1 and 2 seasons, as they don't have as many episodes as later seasons

Season 1 is 5 eps
Season 2 is 13 eps
Season 3 really is the first 'complete' season with 22 eps

Hope I've got my numbers correct. I got the disks and counted (now I feel a bit pathetic for mentioning this...)

I've watched Seinfeld a lot more than Fawlty Towers and, for me, re-watchability has a lot to do with why I like a show.

I think I am going to buy myself the complete set for Christmas. Or a microphone.

I do really enjoy Seinfeld - it can be very, very funny at times - but I don't think it's even nearly as funny as some make out. Some great characters, yes. Great situations, also. But best sitcom ever? Not by a long shot.

Quote: Aaron @ November 15 2009, 8:41 PM GMT

I do really enjoy Seinfeld - it can be very, very funny at times - but I don't think it's even nearly as funny as some make out. Some great characters, yes. Great situations, also. But best sitcom ever? Not by a long shot.

Well, it is to me. It's awesome. :)

Begrudgingly agree, actually

well my favourite US sitocm of lsst 20 ys, although having said that until I first watched Seinfeld my favourite US show was Friends. In terms of best US comedy of all time I'd have to put Seinfeld second behind MASH

I prefered MASH to Seinfield but they are both a bit of a chore for me, to be honest, watching these week in week out is a drag - something different for when I'm in the mood for it but neither are just plain uncomplicated old fashioned funny sitcoms. The Americans have this tendency to overcomplicate the genre when they're searching for that award winning concept/show. A lot of American screenwriters have fallen into the trap of thinking 'more' is better, hence a lot of wordy and cerebral films and TV comedies have been created when really all you need is a good story, some funny characters and lots of funny moments. Whenever I've attempted to see Seinfield I've always had the feeling I'm constantly being set up for something that never really happens. I don't deny it has a place in the sitcom genre and loads seem to love it, but it can't compete with the best quality plain, honest simple fun sitcom, imo.

It should part of our national curriculums as writers to watch 'The Pitch' from Season 4.

Jerry: Don't worry about it. They're just TV executives.
George: They're men with JOBS, Jerry! They wear suits and ties. They're married. They have secretarys.

Just classic.

GEORGE: (Showing an example) What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: (Confused) How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

That whole scene, particularly the "integrity" bit, is just comic gold. I think Larry David did actually storm out citing integrity in real life at some point. Brilliant episode.

Season three is the peak if you ask me...

Quote: Mickeza @ January 24 2010, 11:43 AM GMT

GEORGE: (Showing an example) What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: (Confused) How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

That whole scene, particularly the "integrity" bit, is just comic gold. I think Larry David did actually storm out citing integrity in real life at some point. Brilliant episode.

Best bit IMO is Jerry ranting at George for saying to the xecutives he and Jerry won't compromise their artistic integrity: 'You're not artistic and you have no integrity' :P

I have only recently been able to watch Seinfeld and enjoy it, because post-Curb, now I can hear the lines as if said by Larry David. I find the whiny nasalness of George and Elaine too repulsive to enjoy, and Jerry doesn't add much. But the scripts were always good.

Cosmo was great, if we can ignore Michael Richards' more recent 'controversy'.

Quote: Nogget @ February 2 2010, 10:30 AM GMT

I find the whiny nasalness of George and Elaine too repulsive to enjoy,

Wha-?! Two of the finest performances in any sitcom ever! *Falls over in staggeration*

George and Elaine were always my favourite and Kramer was my least.