Have I Got News For You - Series 38 (Autumn 2009) Page 6

Great show this week, despite Jo Brand's bizarre and terribly distracting glasses! A return to old-school HIGNFY, I felt. Very funny.

Agreed!

Agreed, was a very good episode this week, with Jo Brand was excellent as host. It didn't feel like a "going through the motions" episode, which many have in the last couple of series.

Very good episode, and Jo Brand was a genuinely excellent host.

Before I saw it, I said to someone, "If someone rubbish like Jo Brand is hosting it, I won't watch it." And guess what! Jo Brand was hosting!

I really don't get that woman. She doesn't seem to have a normal comedian job like as a sitcom actress or touring stand up. She never tours. She just pops up on QI, then Mock The Week, then Have I Got News For You, then she's on radio on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Just A Minute. Talk about a hired hand! If she wants to be a comedienne - do a tour and then release a DVD, just stop turning up on every panel show around!

Rant over.

She used to do stand up, didn't she? I know a lot of comedians don't enjoy stand up, they see it as a means to an end.

The ad is so off putting, does her agent hate her?

It was sad when she sat next to John Sergeant on (was it?) QI, and it was remarked that they looked so similar. He's 13 years older than her, and not known for his good looks, but she does indeed bear a striking resemblance.

Seeing as we are on the subject, Jo Brand is the most regular guest on QI. Out of the 57 people who have appeared on the show (including the unbroadcast pilot and the episodes not yet broadcast), Jo has appeared on 24 out of the 91 episodes - which is over a quarter.

Source

For those interested, tonight Bill Bailey is the host of HIGNFY, with guests Mark Watson and Charles Kennedy.

A good episode tonight. Bill is always good value for money.

I got a bit fed up with the 'Blair is a war criminal' bit. Sure, he might well be, but it's not very interesting in a comedy unless they put gags into it.

Quote: Bert Bastard @ November 5 2009, 1:33 AM GMT

Getting rid of Merton might be what some want but some of us remember when Izzard took over and it was a disaster. Be careful what you wish for. Anyway, it could be worse. They could have Jimmy Carr on there every week.

Eddie Izzard is a tedious shite, so that's inevitable.

Jimmy Carr's appearance on the same show as Ann Widdecombe was nothing short of spectacular.

If you're looking for a Merton replacement, look no further than Frank Skinner. He put Paul to shame, really reminded me how excellent the show used to be.

And Ian Hislop is very funny. TRUFAX!

Quote: Badge @ November 5 2009, 1:55 AM GMT

I dunno, every new series thread for HIGNFY always seems to end up with "Deayton or not?" and "Merton is shit".

There's good reason for that. ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 5 2009, 2:02 AM GMT

Ian too seems to have to affect moral outrage as the years go on, rather than genuinely feel it. I am a huge fan of Private Eye and Ian Hislop's editorship, but he has become very establishment, whether or not he wants to be. Also, now when he puts his "serious hat" on to explain the news to the audience it often feels rather patronising, as though in this day and age we don't have more opportunity than ever to know about the people and events behind the headlines.

For example, his big show of talking about the Ivory Coast toxic waste dumping story injunction. Well, that had become a well-publicised story, yet Ian talked about it as though it was his scoop. (I realise that not every BBC One viewer will know about such stories, but occasionally Ian seems a little too worthy for his own good. And not as funny as he used to be, sorry to say.)

Disagree with this though. I find Ian to be, by far, the show's highlight. I really enjoy his indignant explanations of the news, and don't get any sense of being patronised (but then I'm particularly stupid so perhaps that's not surprising). His ground-up approach in those situations only serves to illustrate, IMO, his anger at whatever the story may be.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 5 2009, 2:29 AM GMT

No-one whom it might be really interesting to see on the show is going to put themselves in that position anymore.

I dunno, Bob Crow's appearance was a joy.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 5 2009, 9:49 PM GMT

I didn't think we needed a lot of his detailed explanation of the MP's expenses issues at a time when there was a huge appetite and knowledge in the country about the story.

Amongst all of the bullshit hysteria in the headlines, I think that's exactly what we need(ed). Half of the big headline stealers were claims that had been made inadvertently and refused, and in some cases already repaid. Moat cleaning? Duck houses? Weren't both of those examples of just that?

Quote: Dave @ December 7 2009, 6:00 PM GMT

Before I saw it, I said to someone, "If someone rubbish like Jo Brand is hosting it, I won't watch it." And guess what! Jo Brand was hosting!

I really don't get that woman. She doesn't seem to have a normal comedian job like as a sitcom actress or touring stand up. She never tours. She just pops up on QI, then Mock The Week, then Have I Got News For You, then she's on radio on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Just A Minute. Talk about a hired hand! If she wants to be a comedienne - do a tour and then release a DVD, just stop turning up on every panel show around!

Rant over.

Ever since stating that it's impossible for white people to be victims of racism, she's lost every ounce of credibility for me. She should spend just a few days at any school in the Slough area; she'd soon change her mind.