Have I Got News For You - Series 38 (Autumn 2009) Page 3

agreed: hislop is an unfunny little toad. it is awful to watch him deliver a 'quip' and then look away and down towards his desk to check that he read it our correctly.

miranda hart is just awful. funny? no. sexy? no. END GAME.

Quote: jim field @ November 3 2009, 9:56 AM GMT

agreed: hislop is an unfunny little toad. it is awful to watch him deliver a 'quip' and then look away and down towards his desk to check that he read it our correctly.

At least he uses capital letters appropriately when he writes. Rolling eyes

Other than that, you're so wrong I don't even know where to begin. So I won't. ;)

in your opinion.

Quote: jim field @ November 3 2009, 1:38 PM GMT

in your opinion.

Not the capital letters bit. :)

And of course it's in my opinion. Whose did you think it was? Errr

Quote: jim field @ November 3 2009, 9:56 AM GMT

Why has she got to be sexy? :S

To those of you who appreciate Hislop, could I ask, what is it about him that you find funny? I'm not being sarky (for once), I'd like to be able to look out for, and possibly grow to like, whatever these qualities are.

Quote: Nogget @ November 4 2009, 7:10 AM GMT

To those of you who appreciate Hislop, could I ask, what is it about him that you find funny? I'm not being sarky (for once), I'd like to be able to look out for, and possibly grow to like, whatever these qualities are.

Here am da reasons he be good and shit -

1. His cheeky chipmunk face
2. His self effacing comedy style
3. His insider political knowledge - essential for a current affairs news based programme
4. His ability to take on the establishment
5. As a class based foil to Merton (though not as good as the Mitchell / Mack relationship)
6. He's the 'anchor' on a show which suffers from constant changes of presenter and Merton's penchant to go on a verbal ramble
7. The posh people don't want to sit next to Merton as they might get nits

I mean, obviously, he's no Fearne Cotton...

Thank you for your reply.
Do you not think he's funny then?

Quote: Nogget @ November 4 2009, 1:01 PM GMT

Thank you for your reply.
Do you not think he's funny then?

No, not really. And I'm even less keen on Merton. Thankfully, the show's writers, host and guests usually provide at least a couple of chuckles.

I'm looking forward to this week's episode.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/03/boris-johnson-saves-franny-armstrong

Quote: Blue Bottle @ November 3 2009, 8:16 AM GMT

Third programme in:

MIRANDA HART: Why else was the Duke of Edinburgh in the news this week?

ANDREW NEIL: Did he kill someone?

PAUL MERTON: Did he throw a Weetabix from the balcony of Buckingham Palace? Injure a taxi driver in the ear?

Criticising Merton for this kind of stuff is a bit like dissing Tommy Cooper for fouling up his magic tricks. It's what he does (or at least, it's part of it).

Quote: Badge @ November 4 2009, 5:56 PM GMT

Criticising Merton for this kind of stuff is a bit like dissing Tommy Cooper for fouling up his magic tricks. It's what he does (or at least, it's part of it).

And I like it when we does it (well).

Quote: Badge @ November 4 2009, 5:56 PM GMT

I also once knew a young horse that could balance a ball on it's nose.

But after ten years of doing the same shit on prime time BBC1, it got pretty f**king boring.

Luckily, the dumbass peons didn't notice and the clapped out old nag was celebrated for it's crapness.

Any dissenting voice was shouted down by the ignorant mob with the disclaimer 'What do you expect? It's just a stupid animal, it can't learn more then one thing.'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 4 2009, 8:49 PM GMT

I also once knew a young horse that could balance a ball on it's nose.

But after ten years of doing the same shit on prime time BBC1, it got pretty f**king boring.

Luckily, the dumbass peons didn't notice and the clapped out old nag was celebrated for it's crapness.

Any dissenting voice was shouted down by the ignorant mob with the disclaimer 'What do you expect? It's just a stupid animal, it can't learn more then one thing.'

If I knew how to do that "insert picture handbags thing" I would.

As it is, fair enough. Though you don't have to watch, and please don't ruin the enjoyment of those of us who still like to.

For the record I don't think it is Merton's best trait but it can work well from time to time.

I really do wish they'd get a permanent host again. It's been fun, but surely it's about time now?