Sitcoms that urgently need a DVD release Page 3

Hi Andrew - Weirdly, just read Where Did It All Go Right - which was enjoyable enough, but it's all a bit 'me, me, me', isn't it? :)

I would definitely buy Grass on DVD - one of the many gems of the BBC's recent output and which, 10 years from now, everybody will be talking about on forums like this and, hopefully, NOT wondering why it was never released on DVD, because it was.

By the way, will there be another series of Not Going Out?

And .... my favourite sitcom of the past that should be released on DVD is.... Chance In A Million, with Simon Callow and Brenda Blethyn. My Edison wax cylinder copy has worn out.

'Shelly' - written by Peter Tilbury and starring Hywel Bennett and Belinda Sinclair - is something I'd spend good money on. When this was originally aired back in 1979 and I couldn't believe how good it was. In fact I think this programme was what inpired me more than any other. The writing was sharp and intelligent or at least the first series was. It started to slide a bit after Peter Tilbury had a breakdown and somebody else wrote the second series. Nevertheless, a fine example of British comedy and well worth having on DVD.

The first series of Shelley is being released on 5th March 2007

Excellent news! Thanks.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ January 8, 2007, 4:24 PM

This is shameless, but you'll understand why in a moment. Would anybody here find the prospect of Grass being released on DVD appealing? The reason I ask, is that they put it out for Christmas but only as part of a confusingly-packaged post-Fast Show box set, with Swiss Toni and Ted & Ralph. A fine idea, although from the box you'd think it was the Fast Show.

The company who put it out are not sure whether to put Grass out separately. I clearly think they should. But our producer is looking for genuine interest with which to help persuade them. Hands up! (You could influence the course of history here . . . )

I'd certainly be interested. I must admit I've actually never seen The Fast Show, but did see quite a bit of Grass, which I enjoyed. Possibly not something I'd rush out to get on the first day mind, but definitely would go down on my 'to buy' list!

I second the NGO query. Second series? First series DVD? Bloody hope so! :D

Quote: Aaron @ January 10, 2007, 2:19 AM

I must admit I've actually never seen The Fast Show

Resign, resign!
:D

After the success of finding out about the imminent release of
'Shelly' (Thanks again to you Jack Massey), I feel I am now on a roll. So if I'm not chancing my arm, does anyone out there know anything about 'Nightingales'. It was an 80's programme about nightwatchmen and starred Roberst Lindsay. Very surreal and very funny.

Any news wold be very much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CR6WZS/britishsitc02-21/ :)

Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!!! I have just ordered the DVD so thanks a lot for the link Aaron. How strange that fickle finger of fate because when I last tried to track Nightingales down I came uo with bugger all. And for any of you who don't know much or anything about this brilliant comedy, here's a revue from somebody else who managed to get a copy from Amazon.

"I have waited for many years for this fantastic series to be issued, I have a very old video copy from when the series was first shown on TV. It was shown late at night and had a cult following. Robert Lindsey, David Threlfall and James Ellis are superb in this surreal adventure about night security men. I loved it when it was first shown and have waited for years to own a decent copy of the two series. Thank you thank you my christmas is complete, as you can see I am very happy. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS SERIES TOO HIGHLY TO ANYONE WHO ENJOYS A SOPHISTICATED AND CLEVER COMEDY."

Quote: WrongTale @ January 6, 2007, 10:23 PM

Surgical Spirit

*ducks*

Honestly, it was one of the Britcoms I saw back in... 1995 or so, and I've not seen it since.

I found it quite watchable when it was shown before Second Thoughts on ITV3 on saturdays last year.

If You See God Tell Him - surely the best thing to only be shown once - demands a DVD release. It won't happen, but it should. I believe it's never likely to be shown again due to it's portrayl of the police in one episode, apparently it suggests racism is endemic within the force, who'd have thought it?

Quote: Mike88 @ January 11, 2007, 1:24 PM

I found it quite watchable when it was shown before Second Thoughts on ITV3 on saturdays last year.

I'm in two minds about Surgical Spirit. It's watchable, yes, but I dunno. It just kind of feels to me like it's missing something, although I'm not sure what.

How about any that will play on Region 1 television over here in the states??I would love to be able to see all of the ones you speak of that I have never had the opportunity to see. One question...why did you Brits send that soccer player and the old Spice girl over here to take $250,000,000. out of California's budget..You are the ones good at soccer not these overweight Americans on drugs..Valentine

Aaron, they are playing what PPS calls 'one season wonders" over here. So far most of them are really good, I do not see why they did not make it to the second year. It must be like here down in the ratings 2 weeks and off you go,,They do not wait for others to spread the word about good funny shows.Valentine

Quote: VALENTINE @ January 13, 2007, 5:05 AM

How about any that will play on Region 1 television over here in the states??I would love to be able to see all of the ones you speak of that I have never had the opportunity to see.

There's plenty you get on DVD over there that we don't.

One question...why did you Brits send that soccer player and the old Spice girl over here to take $250,000,000. out of California's budget..You are the ones good at soccer not these overweight Americans on drugs..Valentine

It's hardly coming out of California's budget. Unless the state subsidises the team, in which case that's the state's fault. And it's really nothing to do with us anyway. Football disinterests me greatly, but as I understand it, it's the Spanish who are sending him there

Aaron, they are playing what PPS calls 'one season wonders" over here. So far most of them are really good, I do not see why they did not make it to the second year. It must be like here down in the ratings 2 weeks and off you go,,They do not wait for others to spread the word about good funny shows.Valentine

Can you give me an example of some of these "one season wonders"? Our TV channels aren't so stupid to pull shows just because they've gone down in the ratings a bit, so I would guess that the writer(s)/star(s) just didn't want to do any more, in most cases.

Quote: Aaron @ January 12, 2007, 10:02 PM

I'm in two minds about Surgical Spirit. It's watchable, yes, but I dunno. It just kind of feels to me like it's missing something, although I'm not sure what.

It's on right this second on BBC3. I remember liking it in the 80s? 90s.... I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying it now because it's good or because of nostalgia.

They've also been showing Up The Garden Path with Imelda Staunton, which is interesting. It seems to star half the cast of 80s Grange Hill as the most extreme East London accented kids I've ever heard. Good though.