Comedy Showcase 2009 Page 25

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 19 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

I love dozy receptionists. Anyone remember the dozy/stupid receptionist in May To December (starring Anton Rogers)? Her name was Hillary and she was played by Rebecca Lacey, who was excellent

And later replaced by Ashley Jensen as Rosie.

I thought that Girl Friday was actually fairly good. I've never rated Smack The Pony - neither any particular charm, not any particular laughs - but there were some great ideas in this one. Notably of course was the breakdown sketch. Very funny.

Quote: Aaron @ December 25 2009, 12:57 AM GMT

And later replaced by Ashley Jensen as Rosie.

Really? Well I never... :O

Yup. Extremely strong accent in it. One of her first acting jobs, according to IMDb.

Campus has been picked up.

They seem to have picked up quite a few of them. Well. At least two anyway. Or is it three? *shrugs*

I watched Guantanamo Phil yesterday. I have no idea how that would work as a series and showing the 'first ep' means I can't really judge it on how it would be.

It was relatively funny and I quite liked some characters (the meek Phil, especially) but it didn't really do anything for me. I preferred all the others bar PhoneShop which was about as good as this. (Not seen the 'all-female sketch show' yet though either).

Dan

It would be a minor miracle if any of these shows became successful series.

Quote: YesNo @ January 7 2010, 12:27 PM GMT

That's good - and not overly surprising. Despite being a bit 'iffy' (cue RC), I think they'll do fairly well with it.

Still disgusted that the abhorrence of PhoneShop though.

Quote: YesNo @ January 7 2010, 12:27 PM GMT

Oh, god.

Quote: Aaron @ January 7 2010, 2:32 PM GMT

That's good - and not overly surprising. Despite being a bit 'iffy' (cue RC), I think they'll do fairly well with it.

Oh Christ, they're not chucking money at the 'Vagina Mono-joke' are they? I can't wait for the dedicated thread with the usual posts -

'I watched it last night, it was good. I mean it wasn't funny, I didn't like any of the characters and it didn't have a plot, but so what? It was on the telly and people were talking and that. Oh did I mention? It was a bit like Green Wing.'

Unimpressed

Hmmm -- Girl Friday: mostly so-so. The 'AA Man' sketch was really excellent and I'm impressed with Kerry Howard's range; she seems to be able to do anything and everything.

I did laugh, just not enough for a half-hour sketch show.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 7 2010, 3:09 PM GMT

. The 'AA Man' sketch was really excellent and I'm impressed with Kerry Howard's range; she seems to be able to do anything and everything.

Welcome to Consensus Town - you are our 1000th new visitor! Have a fwee wollypop!

Would be good to see Kerry Howard in her own 'vehicle', she is obviously the talented member of the family.

Quote: swerytd @ January 7 2010, 3:09 PM GMT

Hmmm -- Girl Friday: mostly so-so. The 'AA Man' sketch was really excellent and I'm impressed with Kerry Howard's range; she seems to be able to do anything and everything.

I did laugh, just not enough for a half-hour sketch show.

Considering that sketch shows are patchy by nature, I thought it was pretty good for a pilot.

"More 4 plans to make its first original comedy series, picking up the David Cross sitcom The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret."

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 21 2010, 12:40 PM GMT

"More 4 plans to make its first original comedy series, picking up the David Cross sitcom The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret."

Where's this from? I didn't mind Todd Margaret, but not sure there's a series in it. Although I welcome More4 nmaking comedy, obviously.