Miranda - Series 1 Page 44

Ok, I watched episode 3 and in conclusion it's just not my type of sitcom.
I'd guess it falls in a category together with 2point4, My Family, Birds of a Feather, Beautiful People, nice light and happy shows for the afternooners.
I'm surprised it has so many fans here, I gave it a second watch cause I thought, hang on...I must be missing something. But no.

On the other front, I watched an episode of "We are Klang" and loved it. That actor, doesn't he resemble Rick Mayall? Anyway, my style of comedy are the ones with Stephen Fry, Enfield, Laurie, Mayal, Wilson, Cleese, Perrin, Little Britain, IT, Merton, Whitehouse, and others.
luis

Lovin' it! Lovin' it! Lovin' it! I'm lovin' it like this!

Quote: jim field @ December 18 2009, 7:35 PM GMT

Thank Krishna this is over.

Start: garbage.
Middle: garbage.
End: garbage.

I'm having a stab in the dark here jim, but I'm guessing you are a solicitor and not a barrister??

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 19 2009, 3:22 AM GMT

Ok, I watched episode 3 and in conclusion it's just not my type of sitcom.

On the other front, I watched an episode of "We are Klang" and loved it.

You like We Are Klang but not Miranda? Weirdo! :P

Nevertheless Miranda is a talented comedian. There were some bits I laughed as she sung "In the Navy", or some other text quickies. She's got that something that levels her with the good male comedians, which is a compliment considering the small group of girls in sitcoms.
lk

Quote: Aaron @ December 17 2009, 2:32 PM GMT

I get the distinct feeling that there's a snobbishness which is doing harm to mainstream comedy - if everyone concentrates on the higher-brow, then the odd person who writes more traditional, family-friendly stuff will come up with something like Big Top.

If that makes sense.

It does.
And in a funny way the 'snobbishnes' feeds back into the whole Michael Jacob arguement.
There is a schism between 'intellectual' comedy and 'just funny'.
The trouble is deep down I think a lot of these people want to write films - I don't blame them - I think I do too.
And I wonder how much of this has come about becuase of the increasing and on-going use of independents; where the people who make comedies are a lot closer to the kind of people who make movies.
Would this have happened in the days of Light Entertainment when the producers of comedy would have had more in common with the makers of Strictly than A Dennis Potter Play for Today?

Whats wrong with expecting the best (as a public consumer)?
Mr Bean was "family-friendly" and it was top-class.
Miranda is great, if you happen to live in the UK and turn the TV on and have the time to watch it. Also I believe that Miranda's smart choice of colour, with all that tropical and summer fashion that gives the British viewers in december with a gray cold winter a friendly acceptance. She's buying the audience with that nice trick. Or Benidorm. Or Beautiful People. Or Big Top. They choose a happy environment to make a good start.
But its not enough to add it to my collection of favourites. Those ones that make it to my favourites, I watch them more than once, many times, alone in an iPod while making time at an airport or with friends at home. Still I will keep following Miranda because she is amusing, no doubt.
lk

It's unlikely that Miranda had a clue when they'd decide to broadcast the series, much less the costume and production designers.

Quote: Marc P @ December 19 2009, 9:54 AM GMT

I'm having a stab in the dark here jim, but I'm guessing you are a solicitor and not a barrister??

Correct; I apply logic and creativity to find solutions and best practice. Barristers are almost all obnoxious rimmers.

If only you showed some evidence of your doing the former.

Quote: jim field @ December 19 2009, 6:00 PM GMT

Correct; I apply logic and creativity to find solutions and best practice. Barristers are almost all obnoxious rimmers.

They earn more though. And are never jealous of solicitors strangely. :)

I came back to say that as I watch Miranda more I'm starting to like her style, and the simplicity of her fresh humour. So I feel embarrassed for not perceiving it from start. As many have said, it's not cracking laughter but it's a loveable act and I'm her newest fan.
lk

Yay!
It's definitely a grower.
I liked it from the start, but I like it even more now.

Quote: David Carmon @ December 17 2009, 9:54 AM GMT

It reminds me a bit of sitcoms that relied on stupid situations such as One Foot In The Grave, Keeping Up Appearances or 2point4 Children mixed with a bit of slapstick in the same way as So What Now? with Lee Evans.

I don't think you can really lump "One Foot..." in like that because they really are brilliantly structured. I do enjoy it though.