A bit about you

Hello again guys, since I'm in the process of writing a script I shall be around here for the time being so will try to join in the banter and such. However I was just abit curious about how you all fell into this line of work and how far you've taken it.

Do some of you write comedy on the side, while having a full time working life, do some of you work full time writing and such and how did you get involved in the first place?

I ask this because I feel like I have no business in trying to write a sitcom. I've always loved comedy and making people laugh, but I have never studied English beyond GCSE, and have never been fond of acting or getting into theatre at all.

My background is in IT and have just completed my degree. Work isn't easy to come by and writing a comedy is just something I somehow thought of and I came across some stuff on the BBC about writing scripts and stuff. My uni friends and I had said for ages we need to get writing stuff for TV, as we clearly find ourselves funny (maybe we're not funny beyond our group).

Anyway this script I'm going to write myself, I am not going to tell my family, I'll just send it and see what happens. I aint expecting anything to come of it but, at least I'll have tried.

Interested to hear your stories though :)

Almost all of us are amateurs, who sell little bits here and there.
The world of sitcom is not packed with English graduates so I wouldn't let the English background bother you. Got a good comedy style, understand sitcom and you're interested in people/situations etc got all you need.
The main thing is if you enjoy writing you'll be fine. Enjoy writing, thick skinned and patient.

Sooty is quite correct, I have a D in GCSE English and have huge problems knowing where to put comma's, so I put em everywhere, and lots of them. Butthat's what editors are for, I find if you annoy them enough with punctuation and keep them busy with that, they loose track of the fact that the script is crap. :)

I hear only a small percentage of writers actually make a living from writing, my advise is to read a shit load of stuff on writing sitcoms from the people who know, developing characters etc.. and most important have fun writing.

I only got into writing earlier this year by accident, my then favourite sitcom turned into something I thought was a load of bollocks so I wrote an episode for myself just for fun. I now earn a living writing for a German prod co so if I can make it anybody can, but being in the right place at the right time helps a lot too.

Quote: WhatAmIDoing @ July 13 2009, 11:49 PM BST

I feel like I have no business in trying to write a sitcom.

Who does when they first start out? I never thought I could write well enough to be published until somebody called Morrace said I could.
COME BACK MORRACE !

Well done Hey Nonny - I'm impressed - I thought I knew of two people on this site who made their living from comedy - now I know of three!

Most of us are at varying stages between either just enjoying comedy as a viewer or writing for fun or profit.

Personally I've earnt a total of £6.44 which is pathetic given the number of hours I've spent writing but I'm still v chuffed with that as I didn't expect to earn anything. But I enjoy it this site is great for sharing opportunities etc

I agree it can be a mistake in the early days to show scripts to family and friends who don't write. But there are lots of people on here who'll give you a fair critique of a scene or idea. It may be worth checking that out. You'll also see a few courses and workshops for sitcom in particular.

But do consider other avenues as new writers often seem to go straight for TV sitcom (as I did) but it's hard as an unknown to crack that - unless your script is top notch in which case I believe it still has a good chance - if you can get people to read it.

There are a few staged sitcom opportunities coming up and its also worth considering sketches for stage or radio as particulary with radio it's a way of getting noticed by a producer. And you may not be keen on stage but could be worth reading or seeing some staged comedy as further inspiration or a possible avenue later on.

From what I've gathered here you can expect it to take a couple of years hard work to start getting noticed and regular work as comedy writer if you're good enough.

But hopefully its still fun trying (if you ignore the bitter taste of rejection occasionally :) )

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ July 14 2009, 8:23 AM BST

Personally I've earnt a total of £6.44 which is pathetic given the number of hours I've spent writing but I'm still v chuffed with that as I didn't expect to earn anything.

That figure has leapt up in the last three weeks though Jane!

Quote: hey_nonny @ July 14 2009, 6:00 AM BST

Sooty is quite correct, I have a D in GCSE English and have huge problems knowing where to put comma's, so I put em everywhere,

Heh.

Are all 3 of is in agreement that commas are c**ts and should be done away with?

Quote: Jane P @ July 14 2009, 8:23 AM BST

But do consider other avenue as new writers often seem to go straight for TV sitcom (as I did) but it's hard as an unknown to crack that - unless your script is top notch in which case I believe it still has a good chance - if you can get people to read it.

Excellent advise, you don't know what you're good at unless you try it.
I recently finished a romance/comedy film which is far better than any sitcom script or sketch that I've ever written, but would have never beleived it unless I tried. Still can't get any Brit or US prod co's to read it though.
Look through writer CV's and they rarely write only sitcom.

I'm lucky enough to write full time and I left school with two O Levels, one in English and one in music. (My O Level was the equivalent of a medium-grade GCSE). Creative writing is thankfully something you don't need qualifications for.

A good command of the English language is pretty essential though. After all, words are your tools, so I'd suggest you read and read and then read some more. Comedy writing is just something that's in your blood - try writing a few sketches or a few scenes of sitcom dialogue. If you enjoy it, you're halfway there.

Good luck!

I've been writing bits and pieces since 2004, and so far my rewards have been; a top 30 ranking in the now defunct BBC Talent Sitcom Writer Comp, being able to send scripts solicited to Pozzitive Productions, 4 sketches broadcast on ITV's dreadful Shoot the Writers and 10 whole english pounds for a couple of pieces I sent to a comedy website.

As you may have guessed I haven't been able to stretch the £10 over 5 years so I have had a number of "jobs" to suppliment this.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 14 2009, 9:24 AM BST

A good command of the English language is pretty essential though. After all, words are your tools, so I'd suggest you read and read and then read some more.

This is a great tool too http://thesaurus.reference.com/

Quote: Robraven @ July 14 2009, 9:52 AM BST

ITV's dreadful Shoot the Writers a

*shiver*

I'd almost forgotten about that travesty.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 14 2009, 10:15 AM BST

I'd almost forgotten about that travesty.

Unfortuntely I'll never be able to erase it from my memory, not even with mind rubbers...

I've been writing scripts since I was 13. Inspired by Quentin Tarantino films, I thought, "I could do that!" And you know what, I could, and better!

About 3/4 years ago, I had a go at writing a comedy sketch and a Naked Gun style film. Complete mess, but I enjoyed the format so much, I decided to focus purely on this genre.

Since then, I've sold some sketches and jokes. Made lots of collaborations. Produced some of my own material in multiple formats and made some possible contacts on the inside.

Quote: bigfella @ July 14 2009, 9:04 AM BST

That figure has leapt up in the last three weeks though Jane!

:)

Yep I am looking forward to my first/ only payment from the BBC for some one liners on Newsjack when the run's over.

I have no idea how much they pay but I'll be happy to get to double figures!

I hear they pay direct into a bank account so I'll have to frame the statement instead of the cheque. Note to self - don't buy anything dodgy that month.

Jx