A bit about you Page 2

the most I earned was £75 and that was for about five lines in a mag

Quote: Jane P @ July 14 2009, 1:11 PM BST

:)

Yep I am looking forward to my first/ only payment from the BBC for some one liners on Newsjack when the run's over.

I have no idea how much they pay but I'll be happy to get to double figures!

I hear they pay direct into a bank account so I'll have to frame the statement instead of the cheque. Note to self - don't buy anything dodgy that month.

Jx

I think it's about £33 a minute and they may add the time together and then round up, rather than round each up and then add.

I started writing in my early teens. Comedy sketches at first and then onto novels.
At 15, I thought by the time I was 16, I'd be a bestselling novelist!
Ha! How naive of me!

Then I got rejected by publishers (mind you, my novels at the time were dogpile!) so I stopped writing and got on with life.

I got two GCSEs in English (Language and Literature) but you don't really need formal quals as long as you have a good command of the English language.

Anyway, back to me...

For years and years, I kept having new ideas for TV shows and films in my head, but kept saying "Yeah, maybe I'll write them tomorrow" but never did.

In 2007, I started writing a novel, but it seemed to take forever, so, in July 2008, I figured I'd try my hand at script writing instead.

I went online, did some research and found BBC Writersroom and THIS forum!

Since then, I've had my sketches featured in NewsRevue almost every week and have had several sketches and songs in Treason Show too.

I've also had sketches on BBC Radio's Watson's Wind-Up and (as well as a few other people on here) used to write jokes for 118 118.

I have a few projects currently in the pipeline with some prodcos, but as yet, I haven't cracked TV.

Because I spent years not writing, but constantly daydreaming, I've got a huge backlog of ideas in my head, so luckily I'll never get writers' block.

I am also one of the few here who makes a living through writing...
... in a different way.
I have written a few non fiction digital ebooks about webstuff (search engine optimisation, FTP, online biz, etc) and I sell them from one of my websites.

But I do also make a modest crust from my fiction too. (sketches mostly)

AGH! You beat me too it. I thought I could change right to write without anyone noticing! :P

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 14 2009, 2:02 PM BST

AGH! You beat me too it. I thought I could change right to write without anyone noticing! :P

What do you want to change niave to?
:D
EDIT:
Was about to delete this post because I feel like a right prick now.
(prick, as in idiot not as in am feeling a bit gay)
Was sure niave wasn't spelt like that.
I spend too much time writing in German.

Actually, you're right. It's naive, not niave.

Trouble with me is that I type too fast and don't check it before hitting Post Reply. :P

Cheers for the replies guys. Good to get to know peoples situations here. I guess its a hard business, but its all worth a go if you have fun along the way :)

Quote: WhatAmIDoing @ July 14 2009, 3:06 PM BST

I guess its a hard business, but its all worth a go if you have fun along the way :)

I have had no fun along the way.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 14 2009, 4:57 PM BST

I have had no fun along the way.

I second this. There really is absolutely no fun in writing.

Then why bother if you don't enjoy it?

Seriously why bother? The most fun I had was at script reading and standup gigs both of which cost me money.

Quote: WhatAmIDoing @ July 14 2009, 5:12 PM BST

Then why bother if you don't enjoy it?

I'm not a writer; I'm an artist.

Half of my life is spent drawing pictures; the other half is spent jerking off to Carl Weathers.

Quote: don rushmore @ July 14 2009, 5:19 PM BST

I'm not a writer; I'm an artist.

Half of my life is spent drawing pictures; the other half is spent jerking off to Carl Weathers.

Hurting bombs! Lovey

Ahh Apollo Creed. I'm a fan of boxing.

I used to make a fortune writing.
Trouble was it was adverts.

So I jacked it in to try this.

WHAT a twat.