Stand up Comedy. Page 5

Please tell me someone went to the Lions Den gong show last night?

Graduated from Chris Head's comedy course last night and had a wicked time of it! Once again, I highly recommend it to anyone in the London area who fancies giving stand up a crack - Chris runs a blinding course.

Quote: David Bussell @ July 2 2009, 12:50 PM BST

Graduated from Chris Head's comedy course last night and had a wicked time of it! Once again, I highly recommend it to anyone in the London area who fancies giving stand up a crack - Chris runs a blinding course.

Congrats, David. A 1st or a 2:1? :)

Congratulations!

How did the 'gig' go? Did it involved an animatronic cat? :)

Dan

Thanks, guys. We weren't officially graded but I suspect I would have earned a Desmond.

Actually it seemed to go pretty well, unlike my debut the evening before which was a frosty affair at best. I'm planning on carrying it on so expect a glut of audience begging threads in the not-too-distant future.

PS. How many times, Dan - it's a puppet cat!

I went to watch last night.
It really enjoyed it and everyone did themselves proud.
And David finished it off very nicely with a funny, inventive set.
Top marks all round.

:)

Performing stand up comedy for the first time? Wow! That sure takes me back.

I used to perform under my real name: Mike Oxlong.

I'll avoid the somewhat obvious comparisons with losing one's virginity. As most on here will have no experience of either.

But how was my first time - at stand up, that is?

Well, believe it or not: my calm, natural and reassuring demeanour, helped enamour me to an otherwise vile and unforgiving crowd.

Quite simply: I was electrifying. And had no problem whatsoever in bringing down the house.

After the show, former star of Dallas - Ken Kercheval, compared my performance to that of a young Bill Cosby.

This made me feel all warm and gooey inside. And we ended up making sticky and passionate love on the bonnet of his Pontiac Firebird. After the sex, Mr Kercheval compared my performance to that of a young Bill Cosby.

So, yes, to sum up: a great night out, and a truly euphoric experience was had by all.

Highly recommended!

There are still a few places left on the following - but be quick, it's only 3 weeks away.

Anyone wanting to learn Stand-Up...
If you're based in the North or the Midlands, Marc Blake will be running his fantastic one-day course on the opening day of the Halifax Comedy Festival (Saturday 25th July). As most of you will know...this is the course that launched Catherine Tate!
Afterwards, the fabulous Comedy Promoter from www.urbancomedy.co.uk (me) will be explaing how to get work.
The day includes lunch so, all-in-all, £49 well spent!
There are only about 20 places so I suggest you get your name down ASAP

Ring Victoria Theatre, Halifax, Yorkshire 014 2235 1156 and ask when they will be accepting bookings.

See you there.

Quote: Paul Haslam @ July 2 2009, 2:24 PM BST

As most of you will know...this is the course that launched Catherine Tate!

And you were doing so well, Paul. :)

Quote: don rushmore @ July 2 2009, 2:11 PM BST

I'll avoid the somewhat obvious comparisons with losing one's virginity. As most on here will have no experience of either.

For me my first stand-up gig was pretty much identical to losing my virginity. I was drunk, I was going second - following a more experienced performer, got pulled-off half way through, and had two fingers shoved up my arse.

I'll be here all week, try the fish...

I would LOVE to do stand up but I have one major big problem...I have no confidence at all. I can't even stand infront of an audience when I'm not even the centre of attention let alone BEING the centre of attention haha.
I've written quite a few jokes and I've watched, read and listened to so much advice and stuff from stand-ups so I s'pose I have some knowledge about it, I'd just absolutely die if I did it.

It's at times a masochistic job, but in terms of confidence, the more you do it (same as most things) the more at ease you feel being up there.

As Frankie Howerd used to say, "I don't mind people walking out, it's when they start walking towards you I worry".

My advice would be to start off doing 5 minute spots where nobody knows you (don't invite friends along). Get in, talk to the other comics, do your set, get off, go home. Repeat on a 1-2 weekly basis (if you can) for 3-4 months, then re-evaluate whether you still want to do it. And remember that you will get laughs or die-a-death with two equally good (or average) performances.

Quote: Lizzie Morgan92 @ July 3 2009, 1:56 PM BST

I would LOVE to do stand up but I have no confidence.
I've written quite a few jokes and I've watched, read and listened to so much advice I s'pose I have some knowledge, I'd just absolutely die if I did it.

Have you had the piece of advice about becoming a character for your first few gigs? If you change your image (dress as a Granny/Chav/slapper/pregnant woman/whatever you are NOT), then you can "hide" behind your creation; it's "her" going on stage, not "you".
I guarantee you will convince yourself that - if no one laughs, it's "her" fault but if the gig goes well - it's you!
This is a guaranteed moral booster and chances are, you will soon want to go on as yourself.
That's the last piece of free advice - Now phone Halifax and book a place.

I had one very bad experience of stand up comedy. I was young, naive. That's why you shouldn't listen to your mum when she tells you you're funny. If you've done performance before, it's better. But never do your first ever gig at the Comedy Store. Start small and work you're way up. Don't start at the biggest venue, cus it's a long way down to the Dog and Duck club circuit.

Quote: Adam Blaize @ July 3 2009, 3:19 PM BST

But never do your first ever gig at the Comedy Store.

Not unless you're Alexei Sayle and it's the 1980's.

Oh dear, no, did you? Oh, lummy, tough gig... :(