Stand up Comedy. Page 4

Quote: Lee Henman @ May 27 2009, 12:58 AM BST

You're fearless on stage Warbs. I've seen you stand proud over the Stag and Hen nights like a mighty Mancs lion tamer. Although I did note a twitch of trepidation at Redcar, but that was obviously down to the Blade Runner backdrop. :)
Look familar?

yeah... http://scroobler.blogspot.com/2009/04/setting-fire-to-sky.html

Quote: Kevin Kennie @ May 22 2009, 8:28 PM BST

Never forget that stand up comedy is the single most terrifying thing any human being can ever do,

Mmmm, I think I might be a tad more scared being in a WW1 trench being ordered over the top....or going to the hairdressers, than I was doing stand-up.

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ May 25 2009, 9:10 AM BST

Danny Banks: Druid's Arms, Maidstone. 24/05/2009

Well done Danny. A great set. Just the right length with great gags. All credit to ya mate. Post your dates on here so I can force all the BSGers to come and watch.

Thanks mate, was good to see you, really glad you liked it. So glad I stuck with the DIY gag and it finally got the recognistion I thought it should.

Always like meeting BSG'ers some people where gonna try and make my last gig in borough I think but was a miserable night, so don't blame them for staying in.

Got one in Westminster (I think) in July, will post the details and hopefully meet some more peeps.

Said it before and say it again, LOVE doing stand-up and would recommend it to anyone, the buzz you get from seeing people laughing at what you have written is amazing.

God knows what I'd be like if I got a commision and went ot the recording... LOL

I'm doing Chris Head's stand-up course at the moment. It's lots of fun. Chris is really calming, encouraging and insightful.
Doing the final gig in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to it. Some of the other students are really talented so it's been a great experience. Would recommend it to anyone that's thinking about going on a course.

I'll second Angie there. I wholeheartedly recommend Chris' course to anyone who wants to try out stand up but is too sissy to march right up on stage.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 1 2009, 2:42 PM BST

I'll second Angie there. I wholeheartedly recommend Chris' course to anyone who wants to try out stand up but is too sissy to march right up on stage.

The Bussell trying his hand a stand up, excellent mate, you'll love it and be damn good I'm sure. Let me know when you do a gig.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ June 2 2009, 12:35 AM BST

The Bussell trying his hand a stand up, excellent mate, you'll love it and be damn good I'm sure. Let me know when you do a gig.

Thanks for the encouragement, Danny, but I'm a long way from being even close to excellent. Excellent is a dot on the horizon to me.

Oh c'mon I can see you on Have I got News for You already, superciliously knowing nothing of the news but being hilarious about monkeys on bicycles or something.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 27 2009, 11:01 AM BST

Mmmm, I think I might be a tad more scared being in a WW1 trench being ordered over the top....or going to the hairdressers, than I was doing stand-up.

That is why you are being touted as the funniest on the site, I bow to the Dolly Dagger! Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I have thought about trying stand up. I have some ideas for material. I haven't begun writing it as an act yet, I've just written each topic seperately. I e-mailed the stand up comedian Louis CK recently about how he writes and constructs his stand up as I've always wondered how successful stand ups write their material, whether it's tightly scripted or just loose so they can play off the crowd.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ June 2 2009, 10:45 AM BST

I have thought about trying stand up. I have some ideas for material. I haven't begun writing it as an act yet, I've just written each topic seperately. I e-mailed the stand up comedian Louis CK recently about how he writes and constructs his stand up as I've always wondered how successful stand ups write their material, whether it's tightly scripted or just loose so they can play off the crowd.

My process, when it comes to stand up, is to write down juts a main heading of a joke and it usually triggers the memory for me.

But to be honest it's nice to have an idea of what your gonna do but I tend to not try and have too much in my head when I go on stage. You eventually want to get to a point of it being like telling jokes to your mates down the pub and you don't think about it.

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ June 2 2009, 11:10 AM BST

But to be honest it's nice to have an idea of what your gonna do but I tend to not try and have too much in my head when I go on stage. You eventually want to get to a point of it being like telling jokes to your mates down the pub and you don't think about it.

I really don't recommned that approach, especially for new acts. Very few tops pros can get away with doing that and those that say they're completely spontaneous are probably not telling the truth. I think Billy Connolly is about the only comedian accepted as not having any previously rehearsed material.

I would advise anyone new to stand-up to learn a routine off, but with enough flexabilty to be able to ad lib if a new thought arises or a heckle interrupts. Even Frankie Howerd's 'errs' and 'oooo's were carefully placed and rehearsed. I think the art is to look like you're just talking to your mates. :)

I've seen so many open acts who get on stage becuuse they're funny and don't have a written practised routine and the result is dire and awful for the sudience.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 2 2009, 4:04 PM BST

I really don't recommned that approach, especially for new acts. Very few tops pros can get away with doing that and those that say they're completely spontaneous are probably not telling the truth. I think Billy Connolly is about the only comedian accepted as not having any previously rehearsed material.

I would advise anyone new to stand-up to learn a routine off, but with enough flexabilty to be able to ad lib if a new thought arises or a heckle interrupts. Even Frankie Howerd's 'errs' and 'oooo's were carefully placed and rehearsed. I think the art is to look like you're just talking to your mates. :)

I've seen so many open acts who get on stage becuuse they're funny and don't have a written practised routine and the result is dire and awful for the sudience.

So have I, but I just know that having something rehearsed word for word always made me feel more nervous, I would then get annoyed with myself when I didnt do it word for word.

Im not syaing don't practise, I practise my stuff everyday, but I try to not have to much in my head when I go on stage. I know the structure of my set so then get on stage and do it and sometimes it changes and I just go with it.

The morale I guess would be to practise practise practise! :D

Did you ever see the documentary about Frankie Howerd where he would walk around the countryside saying his set to the cows and in the local (empty) church? Shows how it's a real art making it all look natural and spontaneous. :)

And if you do any wordplay one-liners or puns you really have to rehearse otherwise the joke doesn't even work!

Anyone wanting to learn Stand-Up...
If you're based in the North or the Midlands, Marc Blake will be running his fantastic one-day course on the opening day of the Halifax Comedy Festival (Saturday 25th July). As most of you will know...this is the course that launched Catherine Tate!
Afterwards, the fabulous Comedy Promoter from www.urbancomedy.co.uk (me) will be explaing how to get work.
The day includes lunch so, all-in-all, £49 well spent!
There are only about 20 places so I suggest you get your name down ASAP

Ring Victoria Theatre, Halifax, Yorkshire 014 2235 1156 and ask when they will be accepting bookings.

See you there.