Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 63

Again, I agree.

Quote: Aaron @ March 31 2009, 3:00 PM BST

I don't follow. We're talking about moving for a NEW SERIES, not repeats..?

I was just making the point that they are obviously aware of the shows commercial viability yet it still won't transfer to another BBC channel, or be sold to another station for a new series.

Also it has only two writers and isn't studio based so cost-cutting doesn't apply here.

Quote: Quentin @ March 31 2009, 3:17 PM BST

I've just seen this petition on the Not Going Out Appreciation Society on facebook and thought I would let you all know about it. I'm not sure how much use it will be but here it is if you're interested!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bring-back-not-going-out/signatures.html

It's only got 30 signatures on it (Including mine). It's going to need a shit load more than that.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ March 30 2009, 1:43 PM BST

Grass was not a great show. I doubt if even Andrew Collins would say that. In fact, it were bloody awful. If I was given a choice about what 2 characters from the Fast Show would be the least likely to be made into sitcoms it would have been Swiss Tony and "You can't sit there" bloke that ended up in Grass. Two weak ideas that should never have seen the light of day. And the Norfolk accents in Grass were diabolic as well.

Shame about Not Going Out. Wasn't a massive fan but it was better than most things on.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1112940/#writer2000

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379628/fullcredits#cast

Quote: earman2009 @ March 31 2009, 8:32 PM BST

It's only got 30 signatures on it (Including mine). It's going to need a shit load more than that.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know what good it'll do but thought I'd let everyone know it existed incase they wanted to put it to use! To be honest though, even if all 3-4 million people who watched the show signed, I doubt BBC1 would change their minds!

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 30 2009, 11:47 AM BST

And My Family is back for a new run, Horne and Corden gets commissioned...

I'm still completely baffled as to why My Family is still going. I know that it's very popular with a lot of UK viewers and the BBC can rely on it to pull in the viewing figures, but the actual quality of the show and the script/material the actors have to work with (especially after Nick/Kris Marshall left the show) is so unbelievably piss poor. I wasn't surprised at all to hear that Lindsay and Wanamaker stopped production of one episode because the script was so bad - that makes me laugh more than the (post-Nick) show ever did. I'm surprised its loyal audience is still watching it after all these years. It's just a lame, unfunny piece of shit which I hate seeing Lindsay and Wanamaker - 2 of our best thespians - waste their time and talent on.

What is the point in a TV programme, in this case a sitcom, if it doesn't fulfill it's purpose?

Quote: johnny smith @ March 31 2009, 9:37 PM BST

What is the point in a TV programme, in this case a sitcom, if it doesn't fulfill it's purpose?

It does fulfill its purpose. Just not, evidently, to you.

The really odd thing about it is that My Family has run for years now and 'suffered/benefitted' from big cast changes (mainly 'Nick'), but still plods on, and I think the departure of that character, coupled with the knowledge that it had already run for quite a while, lead them to commission After You've Gone, ready to take over. Both were by Fred Barron were they not, and similar style, with a slightly peculiar son providing a lot of the laughs.
Maybe My Family just didn't start to sink as they expected and they just saw too much of an overlap between the two? It still doesn't explain why they stuck with the old one which was running for ever and killed off the promising newcomer. Why not keep things fresh (even if, deep down, they are actually the same show)?

To be fair to My Family (not really my cup of tea, but not *that* bad), it's pretty much the only sitcom that's in the top 100 ratings every week.

Comedy fairs pretty badly in the list, though obviously you have to take into account viewing habits have changed/there's more channels/much more soap where comedy used to be in the ratings and no-one seems to watch BBC Two, which I still find utterly, utterly bizarre even after all these years...

Dan

How in the name of all that is holy, dose Horne and Corden get recommissioned yet Not Going Out is canceled?!

Hasn't Horne and Corden been utterly ripped apart by critics, hasn't it lost half its audience and conintually losing viewers?

Not Going Out was a succes, liked by most critics and as Andrew Collins said, it went out on its highest ratings so far.

Makes no sense, even considering money issues.

I've only just seen the news about Not Going Out. I'm slightly stunned to be honest. After hearing the viewing figures were gradually rising, I had high hopes for another series. :(

Not Going Out, Moving Wallpaper and Free Agents are all in my top ten favourite TV programmes, yet they all seem to have relatively low viewing figures. Maybe I need a sense of humour transplant? Huh?

No -- everyone else does!

Dan

Sorry for late reply,

Aaron asked: Do you ever listen to BBC Radio? Buy any DVDs of BBC programmes? Use the BBC website?

Yeah, fair doo's, I do listen to Radio 2, which is brilliant.

Sad news. AC's episode was the strongest of the series IMO.
Hope his new project makes it. It's a good premise and he's a top man.

The petition has gone up to 593.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petitions/bring-back-not-going-out.html