David Jason Apology Page 2

Quote: Bad dog @ March 27 2009, 9:33 AM GMT

Is it racist because it points out that foreigners have funny names?

Kinda my point in a sentence.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 27 2009, 9:33 AM GMT

I would say you're being over sensitive towards this, but each to their own.

More understanding where the sentiment comes from. I always found it sad how many of my coleagues had to give themselves nick names because English staff couldn't be bothered to learn to pronounce them (e.g. Jazz from Jaswant).

Quote: sootyj @ March 27 2009, 9:36 AM GMT

More understanding where the sentiment comes from.

But you don't know that, it was a bit of rubbish word play, doesn't mean he has a bad attitude towards any other race, just that he's shit at jokes! :D
Perhaps it says something about your own experiences/prejudices that you would jump immeditely to that conclusion?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 27 2009, 9:38 AM GMT

But you don't know that, it was a bit of rubbish word play, doesn't mean he has a bad attitude towards any other race, just that he's shit at jokes! :D

Back to front old chap. I don't believe cuddly, national treasure DJ is racist. I highly doubt that.

More saying why the show would feel the need to apologise.

Quote: sootyj @ March 27 2009, 9:36 AM GMT

More understanding where the sentiment comes from. I always found it sad how many of my coleagues had to give themselves nick names because English staff couldn't be bothered to learn to pronounce them (e.g. Jazz from Jaswant).

Really though? I'm northern and lazy and tend to call everybody by the first syllable of their name regardless of whether they like it or not! I feel a bit odd when someone calls me 'Daniel', as it implies I'm being told off.

I'm sure people have nicknames all around the world, whatever culture? Forgive me if I'm being ignorant.

I'm still reeling from not being able to use the 'Felipe Flop' joke as it's offensive to the French...

Dan

Quote: sootyj @ March 27 2009, 9:40 AM GMT

More saying why the show would feel the need to apologise.

Oh yeah, I realise why the timid lot would feel the need to bluster out an apology.

My surname is Orbell so I often got called Doorbell at school and also Orville after Keith Harris's duck. Even now I get called Dorb - it's a nickname.

Mahatma and Orbell are both names and have both been given the wordplay treatment. I personally don't see the need for an apology and it's only an issue because it uses two different nationalities.

I really can't imagine being offended if the person who coined my nickname wasn't British. I mean, Orbell DOES sound like doorbell.

Quote: Tuumble @ March 27 2009, 9:44 AM GMT

My surname is Orbell so I often got called Doorbell at school and also Orville after Keith Harris's duck. Even now I get called Dorb - it's a nickname.

Mahatma and Orbell are both names and have both been given the wordplay treatment. I personally don't see the need for an apology and it's only an issue because it uses two different nationalities.

I really can't imagine being offended if the person who coined my nickname wasn't British. I mean, Orbell DOES sound like doorbell.

Well exactly, yeah.

This issue is as much about bog standard, uninspired, lowest common denominator humour as anything else. Isn't it?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 27 2009, 9:46 AM GMT

This issue is as much about bog standard, uninspired, lowest common denominator humour as anything else. Isn't it?

Not really, it was about it apparently being racist/offensive. Which it isn't. Rather than it being a lazy, rubbish joke. Which yeah, obvioulsy it is.

Quote: Jack Massey @ March 26 2009, 11:33 PM GMT

What do you think of this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7965058.stm

Really, I think it is a case of political correctness going a bit far again.

We don't hear this phrase nearly enough. ;)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 27 2009, 9:46 AM GMT

Yeah, I can kinda understand that but it's the unnecessary uproar if that kind of joke is made. As long as a comedian's humour isn't based on it and think anyone should be allowed to drop in a gag without fear of a witch hunt later.

I think what bugs me most is that this kind of 'perceived racism' seems to be all one way.

Le Roast Beef? Ooo, I'm so offended my bowler hat might fall off!

Quote: Tuumble @ March 27 2009, 9:53 AM GMT

Yeah, I can kinda understand that but it's the unnecessary uproar if that kind of joke is made.

Was there an uproar? Unesssary or otherwise? I'm not sure how many complaints it got per se, and even the media doesn't seem too fussed about it, other than trotting out the same tired old "political correctness gone mad" stories. Storm in a teacup, if that.

But Political Correctness *has* gone mad! ;)

(Stewart Lee will tell us all on Monday, apparently)

Dan

You know what Sooty, you're right.

I've drafted this letter to the Beeb about another outrage I recently heard.

Dear BBC.

I am writing to complain about your recent radio interview with Anil Kapoor of Slumdog Millionaire fame. During a section of the discussion where the subject of humour was raised, Mr Kapoor told "his favourite" joke "What do you call a man with a spade in his head? Dug!"

I cannot express my disgust and outrage enough. This was a tasteless, highly-offensive remark that singles out a helpless minority for ridicule. (people called Douglas). My father is called Douglas, and would be hurt and shocked by the suggestion that he goes around with a spade in his head. He most certainly does not!

I await a full public apology by Mr Kapoor. If this is not forthcoming, I shall be writing to my MP. (Who is also called Douglas).

Yours

Lee Henman (son of Douglas)

I think we live in hysterical times really. I am a white English male so I suppose I am not in a position to say whether that was particularly offensive, but as an observation it seems that someone of English origin can mock an English name with impunity (it happened to me), so I would assume that French people mock each other, Americans mock each other and Pakistanis probably do as well. But as soon as a person from one race does the same to someone of another race all hell breaks loose, however innocent the intent. What REALLY irks me is that the fabled 'PC Brigade' seems to be largely made up of humourless, dour, middle class lefties who are often more sensitive to these issues than the people they profess to protect.

Surely 'racism' is treating people negatively because of their ethnic background; it's the thought behind the words that need to be examined, not whether an old man used an old joke.