David Jason Apology Page 6

Am I a big stinky racist for making jokes about Osama Bin Laden's name?

Hmmmm... well even mass-murdering terrorists have rights. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 28 2009, 10:55 PM GMT

Hmmmm... well even mass-murdering terrorists have rights. You should be ashamed of yourself.

'I'm all broke up over that man's rights.'

(said in a slow Harry Callaghan drawl)

I am very ashamed and this is my public apology.

Quote: Tiggs @ March 27 2009, 12:46 AM BST

People wine about PC going to far but few people are hurt by it....no ones been killed due to "over pc ness" - so, at least its better than what we had 30 years ago.

It's not killed people, but it's killed culture, free speech, and the ability to have a laugh and a good time without worrying if some twat's going to take offence to some off-the-cuff quip.

Quote: Gregor Shamsa @ March 27 2009, 2:02 AM BST

As an act of contrition, he should be forced to watch Raquel ride Denzil's dark glory.

:|

Quote: sootyj @ March 27 2009, 9:59 AM BST

It was stupid and insensitive and he said sorry. That should be an end of it.

Prezunctly. It's the station making the big deal about it by highlighting and drawing attention to it. He apologised, I assume the presenter did too, so they should have just let it die.

Quote: Bad dog @ March 27 2009, 10:33 AM BST

Is it still possible to see that sort of thing in the UK releases?

I'm fairly sure it is, yes.

Quote: swerytd @ March 27 2009, 11:00 AM BST

But Political Correctness *has* gone mad! ;)

(Stewart Lee will tell us all on Monday, apparently)

Dan

I expect he loves it.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 27 2009, 11:14 AM BST

What REALLY irks me is that the fabled 'PC Brigade' seems to be largely made up of humourless, dour, middle class lefties who are often more sensitive to these issues than the people they profess to protect.

Definitely. It's actually quite patronising to suggest that people would be so sensitive and easily offended.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 27 2009, 12:58 PM BST

Even if you think someone is barking mad for taking offence or just pretending to take offence, an apology costs nothing

It's also worth nothing unless you mean it.

Quote: sootyj @ March 27 2009, 3:43 PM BST

And as mentioned in another sketch of mine. Hezbollah and Mullah Omar et al who are genuinely wicked get untramelled airtime. Check out Nick Cohen on the hypocrisy of how you can be as bigotted as you like if it's part of your culture.
I was livid over how with the Prince Harry thing the papers used the P word, over and over and over again. Probably introducing it to some kids who hadn't heard it before.

The first time I heard the word "Paki" was when I was accused of calling someone by it at school. I had no idea what the hell was going on, and because the teachers were so afraid of it, they didn't repeat it - only adding to my confusion. That was the first time I was even aware of race or other differences between people.

Quote: chipolata @ March 27 2009, 4:28 PM BST

How's Barack Obama's special olympics gag gone down in the USA? I thought it was a bit off-colour for the leader of the free world, but not worth making a stink over.

He's a politician. And a git. As such, any excuse to mock and criticise him is valid.

Quote: Danny K @ March 27 2009, 9:42 PM BST

Her books are full of Gollywogs,
vandals are typically 'black' Goblins,
thieves are invariably 'foreign',
sexism/gender reinforcement with girls excluded from more dangerous/difficult tasks as one of the boys says to one of the girls requests: "Certainly not. It's a man's job".
Then there's the little black doll who wanted to be pink.
From 'Five Go Off To Camp' the phrase: "black as a nigger with soot".
And for the most part the books are class-ridden. The list goes on, and on.

As it should be!

Quote: Danny K @ March 27 2009, 9:42 PM BST

(Are they still banned in British libraries?)

Were they ever? I never had any problems finding them as a child. (Although I've not read many of them, to be fair.)

Quote: Danny K @ March 28 2009, 1:02 AM BST

I can only surmise some may have thought the Mahatma Coat punchline was hidden code for Mahatma Ghandi

*raises hand*

Quote: Danny K @ March 28 2009, 1:02 AM BST

I.e. Those with an Anglo-Saxon-protestant-guilt complex, a rinsing of the collective 'white' British soul over once having an Imperialist past that enabled the British Empire's dominion over other races.

I will never understand how anyone can feel anything other than pride.

I used to read Enid Blyton aaaaaall the time.

I don't actually remember anything overtly racist, maybe they'd all already been edited out.

I remember thinking a few Tintin illustrations/storylines were quite dodgy. Even when I was six.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 28 2009, 10:02 AM BST

One bit that I do remember from the same book - and I love it - is this gem on page 110: "Why doesn't he get his hair cut," said Julian in disgust. "Boys with long hair are just too sissy for words."

*flicks hair nonchalantly*

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2009, 2:41 PM BST

I remember thinking a few Tintin illustrations/storylines were quite dodgy. Even when I was six.

Could you actually get any more liberal?!

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2009, 1:16 PM BST

gypsies were bad

They're not now?

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2009, 1:16 PM BST

N.B. I confess to selling the following gag to 118 118.
Who liberated the sweets?
Candhi

I apologise please don't ban me.

I did a laugh.

Quote: Aaron @ March 29 2009, 2:44 PM BST

Could you actually get any more liberal?!

I can't heeeelp it!

Quote: Jack Massey @ March 28 2009, 10:30 PM BST

Also on the subject of this, look at the one Tintin comic you cannot purchase in childrens sections 'Tintin in the Congo' as the black characters in that all look quite 'gollywoggy' Yet I say again, Herge may have been in the wrong for such work

Also, being such a visual medium, he had to create something which people would instantly recognise and understand.

Quote: Jack Massey @ March 28 2009, 10:30 PM BST

I'm surprised we've not heard Aaron's point of view on the Jason apology yet.

Aaron is only just bothering to read it now.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 28 2009, 2:15 PM BST

Just rhyming slang for an Ikey Mo.

Never heard that one before. Where does it come from?

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2009, 2:47 PM BST

I can't heeeelp it!

How did you know about such things? Especially living in such a white area! Are your parents militant PC liberal?

The government is planning on bringing in a religious hatred bill at some time. At that point if you're misogynistic, homophobic or racist etc. And it's part of your belief system you're untouchable.
Infact criticising you would be theologistic.
Any one fancy founding a new religion to worship Bernard Manning and old Carry On films ala Scientology?

N.B. Tintin was totally gay which makes his racsim more forgivable.

Also did people really like Enid Blyton? I found her boring as all hell.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2009, 3:37 PM BST

Also did people really like Enid Blyton?

No, that's why she never sold a single book.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2009, 3:37 PM BST

Any one fancy founding a new religion to worship Bernard Manning and old Carry On films ala Scientology?

YES!!

Quote: Aaron @ March 29 2009, 2:52 PM BST

How did you know about such things? Especially living in such a white area! Are your parents militant PC liberal?

Not especially! Mummy's quite nice and liberal I spose.
I think in the '80s a lot of kids' TV was making an effort to be a bit worthy (in quite a sweet way, not patronising like it seems to be now, most of the time), liiiike.... there would always be black characters in Pigeon Street or presenters on Play School or whatever. And then you read Tintin and slowly notice that any non white character is a weirdo with a shiny jet black face or has a bone through his nose. You don't necessarily think at six "that's racist", you just feel uncomfortable and that something's amiss.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 29 2009, 3:44 PM BST

No, that's why she never sold a single book.

Millions of Scandinavian types eat rotten shark fin instead of cheese, millions watch Coronation Street and Eastenders.

Popular culture isn't neccasairly good culture.