David Jason Apology Page 7

Sooty, didn't you ever read Noddy or Brer Rabbit, or The Magic Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair books? :( They were aaaace.

I also loved all her books about girls' boarding schools, but I wouldn't expect you to be a fan of those. :)

F**k me, if you look at her Wiki page, she wrote about 30 books/stories a year, Jesus. Prolific old cow.

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2009, 3:45 PM BST

Not especially! Mummy's quite nice and liberal I spose.
I think in the '80s a lot of kids' TV was making an effort to be a bit worthy (in quite a sweet way, not patronising like it seems to be now, most of the time), liiiike.... there would always be black characters in Pigeon Street or presenters on Play School or whatever. And then you read Tintin and slowly notice that any non white character is a weirdo with a shiny jet black face or has a bone through his nose. You don't necessarily think at six "that's racist", you just feel uncomfortable and that something's amiss.

:/ All I can say is that you've always been far more aware of differences between people than I have then.

Quote: Aaron @ March 29 2009, 4:04 PM BST

:/ All I can say is that you've always been far more aware of differences between people than I have then.

No, I don't think I was implicitly (explicitly?) aware of those things then, I can only see them now when I look back. Like I say I just 'felt' something was wrong.

So subconsciouslyyyyy aware.

Yesh, I suppose.
But to make up for it, you're certainly more aware of the differences than I am now. ;) Hee.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2009, 3:52 PM BST

Popular culture isn't neccasairly good culture.

That wasn't the question though, the question was whether anyone actually liked her books; and the answer is yes, millions of people have liked her books.

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2009, 5:51 PM BST

Yesh, I suppose.
But to make up for it, you're certainly more aware of the differences than I am now. ;) Hee.

Not entireeeely certain about that!

Quote: zooo @ March 29 2009, 2:41 PM BST

I used to read Enid Blyton aaaaaall the time.

I don't actually remember anything overtly racist, maybe they'd all already been edited out.

I remember thinking a few Tintin illustrations/storylines were quite dodgy. Even when I was six.

Enid Blyton passed me by really. I think I had some cassette versions of Secret Seven (I think).. but that's it.

But I have tons of old Beano and Dandy Annuals dating back to the early 1950s and some of them are *very* surprising when viewed with a modern eye. 'Cripple Singh, the Happy Slave Boy', 'Bingo the Black Streak' etc etc.. :O

Quote: Aaron @ March 29 2009, 7:59 PM BST

Not entireeeely certain about that!

:P

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 29 2009, 8:11 PM BST

Enid Blyton passed me by really.

Ditto! I have a big book somewhere, possibly complete Famous Five collection, but never got far into it.

Brer rabbit was not written by Enid Blight-by-the-tonne.
I tried her but even at an early age found her dreary beyond belief.
Why not try a really good writer with controversial material like Mark Twain?
I mean what the hell is the charm in the Famous 5 books? They're like Agatha Christie for unimaginative kids.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2009, 9:03 PM BST

Brer rabbit was not written by Enid Blight-by-the-tonne.

Do I mean Peter Rabbit then? No, that was erm... Rene Zellweger or someone. :/

Beatrix Potter.

Zoo have you read anything by Enid Blyton?
And no she didn't write Dr Who.

Going on 36, I read Enid Blyton books avidly as a child. I think most of the dubious passages in her books had been amended even by the late 1970s/early 1980s - and quite rightly too.
In a similar fashion I remember as a kid laughing my socks off at Mind Your Language. I didn't turn me into a racist, of course, but I wouldn't want my 10 year old twins to be watching that sort of thing these days.
Political correctness should not be confused with simple respect, tolerance, diversity and sensitivity - all good things in making Britain one of the most diverse and tolerant societies. Even if we still aren't perfect, we have come further than most.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2009, 9:03 PM BST

I mean what the hell is the charm in the Famous 5 books?

A bunch of kids being independent and adventurous and that. Simple.