Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 51

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2009, 10:19 AM GMT

Yes. 22 to 18.

And, one would assume, destined for a few more series yet.

Hope so!

If tripe like Spaced is labelled as a great, then Not Going Out is easily deserving of such a title.

We'll have to have a thread one day on how you define comedy greatness. Not today, though.

If tripe like Spaced is labelled as a great, then Not Going Out is easily deserving of such a title.

Rolling eyes

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2009, 10:43 AM GMT

We'll have to have a thread one day on how you define comedy greatness. Not today, though.

This whole site is testament to that.

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2009, 10:59 AM GMT

This whole site is testament to that.

It's testament to something.

To my power over you.

Black Books is a totally different show to NGO - far more surreal because of the style of Moran and Bailey. It's bound to have a different feel - I mean it started with Manny ingesting the Little Book of Calm and effectively becoming Jesus! It also noticeably went off the boil quite drastically towards the end...

NGO essentailly stars two wise-cracking gag men and is crafted around that really, so it can't really compare to BB. It's a different style and also more planted in 'reality' - but none the worse for it.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 9 2009, 11:27 AM GMT

...I don't need smoke blowing up my arse...

*puts bellows away*

I feel like we're watching different shows. I find absolutely nothing remotely funny about this so called comedy. It is badly acted by everyone involved (especially by Sally Bretton who is also awful at delivering lines that are supposed to be funny - seriously, she has zero comedic ability in this show). If this sort of unfunny rubbish can get get commissioned and run for 3 series and maybe more, then there should be hope for all budding sitcom writers.

I seriously can't understand why so many of you like this show and actually find it funny. It makes 'My Family' look like the greatest UK sitcom ever made.

....and I fully 100000% agree with this person's post
________________________________________________________________________________
This has got to be the most overrated progamme on here.

The characters are absolutely abysmal. Clearly the intention is for a half-hour slew of shallow, uninhibited "jokes", but they've sacrificed far too much in the way of drama, and been far too lazy with the set-up: flat share; class divide; will-they-won't-they romcom; three witty characters, two dumb ones.

Where's the ingenuity or depth to warrant all this acclaim? The strength of each episode rests entirely on the quality of its one-liners - funny at best, deflating at worst and always more miss than hit.

It is not entirely without merit, and I am not calling for it to be panned, but rather than herald it as a great comedy of our time, this ought to be pegged as the very worst we ought to accept in sitcom - passable viewing, but ultimately a benchmark for all others to strive to far surpass.
________________________________________________________________________________

The point is Johnny Smith some of the people here strangely aren't frustrated, unsuccessful sitcom writers, and so are allowed to find what they find funny - funny. It's a strange old world.

Quote: johnny smith @ March 10 2009, 3:21 PM GMT

I feel like we're watching different shows. I find absolutely nothing remotely funny about this so called comedy. It is badly acted by everyone involved (especially by Sally Bretton who is also awful at delivering lines that are supposed to be funny - seriously, she has zero comedic ability in this show). If this sort of unfunny rubbish can get get commissioned and run for 3 series and maybe more, then there should be hope for all budding sitcom writers.

I seriously can't understand why so many of you like this show and actually find it funny. It makes 'My Family' look like the greatest UK sitcom ever made.

....and I fully 100000% agree with this person's post
This has got to be the most overrated progamme on here.

The characters are absolutely abysmal. Clearly the intention is for a half-hour slew of shallow, uninhibited "jokes", but they've sacrificed far too much in the way of drama, and been far too lazy with the set-up: flat share; class divide; will-they-won't-they romcom; three witty characters, two dumb ones.

Where's the ingenuity or depth to warrant all this acclaim? The strength of each episode rests entirely on the quality of its one-liners - funny at best, deflating at worst and always more miss than hit.

It is not entirely without merit, and I am not calling for it to be panned, but rather than herald it as a great comedy of our time, this ought to be pegged as the very worst we ought to accept in sitcom - passable viewing, but ultimately a benchmark for all others to strive to far surpass.

Were you a school bully by any chance?

If this sort of unfunny rubbish can get get commissioned and run for 3 series and maybe more, then there should be hope for all budding sitcom writers.

Should be a doddle for you to get your work on TV then. How many series have you managed so far?

"badly acted" in YOUR opinion.
"she has zero comedic ability in this show" in YOUR opinion.
"unfunny rubbish" in YOUR opinion.

Seeing a pattern?

Oh, and My Family IS one of the greatest sitcoms ever made... according to millions of people. Obviously they're all wrong, though. Whistling nnocently

I think Sally Breton is great for what its worth, going off the last episode, I'd say she gets a bum deal.

Sorry I can't help but be cheeky. (Ok I'll stop now, no need to get arsey.)

Quote: jacparov @ March 10 2009, 11:45 PM GMT

I think Sally Breton is great for what its worth, going off the last episode, I'd say she gets a bum deal.

Sorry I can't help but be cheeky. (Ok I'll stop now, no need to get arsey.)

Listen, stop with the wise-cracks right now, buddy. :P

Quote: Marc P @ March 10 2009, 3:25 PM GMT

The point is Johnny Smith some of the people here strangely aren't frustrated, unsuccessful sitcom writers, and so are allowed to find what they find funny - funny. It's a strange old world.

Ergo, anybody who criticises the show or dislikes it is a frustrated, unsuccesful sitcom writer? That's facile, even for somebody who's written for Holby City. :)

Yes, some people do overdose on their own pomposity, but it'd be a strange old thread if everybody just came on and repeated the mantra that NGO's brilliant etc etc etc.