Teenage Kicks Page 9

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ April 12 2008, 12:30 PM BST

I think last night episode was the worst one. I think when it gets recommisioned for a second series they should get rid of the chinese guy just because he is there to be a racial stereotype and not to be a character. However i still think the general idea of it being about a loser Dad is very good and there have been some funny moments and so to totaly dismiss it as unfunny is snobbish.

And you're back with the 'snobbish' thing.....
That would be related to class wouldn't it? Granted it makes you laugh - I'm not trying to deny you that right. (Although if I had the Power Of Commissioning I would deny you - it would be for the greater good.)
What I'm objecting to is the sheer feebleness of the gags, the crassness of the performances and the offensiveness of the stereotyping. That's called having a sense of taste - nothing elitist about that, it's what informs quality.

To use you Sebastian (may I?) as an extravagantly tenuous example - if you were to walk in a pile of dog shit in the street I would laugh. THAT doesn't make dog shit funny.
Lots of people watch Dancing On Ice - that doesn't mean those competitors shouldn't be shot.
Pop Idol is hugely popular and allows people to parade their average ability - it must be really good then.
My Family exists.

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2008, 12:44 PM BST

I saw that too. Well, the general interview anyway. The bit where they were talking about what Jennifer would watch was just, well, awful. He looked so uncomfortable!

Yes! But those crap interviewers would make anyone uncomfortable, to be fair.
Talk about stilted. Jesus.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 1:10 PM BST

Yes! But those crap interviewers would make anyone uncomfortable, to be fair.
Talk about stilted. Jesus.

Very true, very true. The annoying Irish bint and the single guy who seems to feel the need to specify that he is not a gay. Well I think that's him anyway.

Ah yes, gay as christmas is old Colin Jackson, bless him.

(allegedly.)
(etc.)

Saw about 10 minutes of this the other night, absolutely awful, embarrassing even, so cheesey and old fashioned. Why Ade? Why?

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 1:23 PM BST

Ah yes, gay as christmas is old Colin Jackson, bless him.

(allegedly.)
(etc.)

Camp as Butlins?

I like the Chinese guy and I think that saying he should be written out because he is a racial stereotype is a bit of a silly, rash comment to make. The Chinese guy isn't being racially abused because of his ethnicity so for me there is no problem. It would be sad if what you suggest Sebastian was to happen. Look at Eric Chappels 'Only When I Laugh' The staff Nurse, Gupte from Delhi was not in later episodes because he was seen as a stereotype. Very sad, as Gupte was also a very funny charactor and I'm sure that the actor Derrick Branche who played him would have been very dissapointed being written out because of stupid complaints. Also, how many Chinese people do you see in sitcoms. A few (Burt Kwoak- Entwistle- Last of the Summer Wine) but hardly any. Anyway, I thought last nights episode was the best one so far. Extremely funny. Last weeks was a bit of a dissapointment- but loved this weeks one.

I think most of this general hatred of this sitcom is just because people expect something so much better than this bland thing from Edmonson.

What's really annoying me, however, isn't so much the script but the fact I can't understand what drove Edmonson to write this. I know he said that it was because of his kids, but I don't believe that for a second. At least with Bottom and Young ones he looked like he was doing it just for fun. I hope this isn't just because he wanted to be on TV again.

I think I'm right (Aaron - help!) in saying it was originally a radio show. So perhaps Ade E didn't write it as a self-serving TV opportunity.

It was radio first!
But he wanted it to be TV, he just couldn't get anyone to make it at first.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 9:15 PM BST

It was radio first!
But he wanted it to be TV, he just couldn't get anyone to make it at first.

The radio show must have been dynamite Errr

Leave him aloooone.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 9:18 PM BST

Leave him aloooone.

I'm not being personal!

All I've said is I thought the one-and-a-half episodes I watched were lame beyond belief. I'm not commenting on it any more (except to say I wasn't being personal)

Well i've just watched last night's episode and I liked it but even I dunno why.

I guess because it's just simple, basic humour and I'm a simple guy (no jokes please lol) I guess.

Maybe Aaron can explain better as I think he likes it a little aswell.

I think that's it really. It's just simple humour that isn't ashamed to be simple humour. It's not trying to be clever and failing. It's just being funny, being what it is, with no intention of being anything else.

With the snobbery some members here show, I'm surprised Bottom isn't roundly hated - but it's long established that most members have so many double standards that their posts have no consequence on the real world.

Anyway. :)

Yeah, it is what it is. It's not trying to be clever, and then failing to do so. It's just being funny - and if that's not your particular sense of humour, then that's not your sense of humour. That is why we like it, but can't quite work out why!