Not Going Out - Series 13 Page 7

Quote: Aaron @ 7th August 2023, 10:06 AM

I can now confirm absolutely that there IS a Christmas special already recorded, bringing the total to 100.

Nice.

Obviously he may carry it on after, but it'll be fun if he does get to end it on that round number he suggested.

It and Mrs. Brown's Boys are the only scripted studio comedies of any format on any British television channel, so I do hope it continues for a while yet. And may many more follow soon.

Haven't the kids grown up!

Apparently this is the second longest running sitcom after Last of the Summer Wine although that doesn't seem quite right.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th August 2023, 12:40 PM

It and Mrs. Brown's Boys are the only scripted studio comedies of any format on any British television channel, so I do hope it continues for a while yet. And may many more follow soon.

Indeed.

As for more studio sitcoms - Even if it's just a handful, I'd like to see more studio comedies. We need more variety/balance between "single camera" comedy and studio/audience stuff.

Hmm I sense a Series 14.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/lee-mack-not-going-out-future-exclusive-newsupdate/

Hope so, latest series picked up.

If there is a Series 14, I'm assuming it will be next year?

Yeah, possibly, or 2025. If he's simply chatting to the Beeb about it as he says, it's early days.

Funniest Christmas special - and most quick-witted - in years, probably since "The House" IMO; the decision to have the (first) old guy being an irascible, uncaring-potty-mouth was an inspired one, and welcomingly unexpected based on the episode description. The problem is, the liberal peppering of humour couldn't help you escape or ignore the general sense of tiredness that is becoming ever more palpable about the show. If this is to be the end, so be it, but if there is to be another series, I hope they have the sense to let it go before the show loses any motivation whatsoever, and any fatigue begins to consume it wholly from within.

One point I'd also like to make is the decision to not disclose who was playing the titular Wilfred prior to broadcast. While doing so *did* manage to avoid divulging the key twist to the episode, it did give the impression that the piece(s) of casting was going to be someone relatively well-known. I had no idea who the actors were, and wondered if it would've been better to have Melvyn Hayes on tonight, rather than used in the Series 13 finale.

Yeah Melvyn Hayes was great in his S13 episode and also the WILTY? Christmas special on Friday just gone. He'd have done great as either of the Wilfreds.

Enjoyed this episode! Bit laboured but it came with some great laughs, Toby got some zingers when he found out the situation.

I guessed it was the wrong bloke as he got in the car. I thought it was all a bit mean spirited, especially for a Christmas special. Toby had some good lines.

Well did this one and Mrs. Browns Boys in the same evening..
Quite enjoyed NGO albeit as previously stated it's gotten into a bit of a rut but the "grinchiness" of it helped the plot.
As for Browns Boys..ughh that was worse than usual.I mean after a year that's the best plot that they could come up with?
Ended the night on a forced greasy,schmaltzy sheen.
Almost needed a shower after it!

Always good to see somebody die on a Christmas special. I did laugh out loud a few times. But who were the 2 Wilfreds? I didn't recognise either of them.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th December 2023, 7:20 PM

Always good to see somebody die on a Christmas special. I did laugh out loud a few times. But who were the 2 Wilfreds? I didn't recognise either of them.

I just looked them up on imdb - David Hargreaves and Richard Syms - apparently they've been in a lot of programmes (over 100 each!) but a lot of their entries are '1 episode'.

I quite enjoyed the episode - worth seeing, but not one of the best ones. Half expected Lee to have a kipper sticking out of his jumper, y'know..?