Not Going Out - Series 13 Page 6

I agree with Sitcomfan64, that was a much stronger episode than last week's. Plenty of funny moments, I particularly liked the first couple of times Wendy did the 'audio description' thing.

I get where octothorpe's coming from with some of his criticism as well though, such as Toby's lines being a bit overdone, but I could overlook that - I mean, oversmell that. 😉

But who was looking after the children?

What sort of grandparents book a steam train trip for themselves, their daughter and their son-in-law as a treat but exclude their grandchildren? Even the neighbours came along.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd July 2023, 7:50 AM

But who was looking after the children?

What sort of grandparents book a steam train trip for themselves, their daughter and their son-in-law as a treat but exclude their grandchildren? Even the neighbours came along.

They've been taken into care.

It seems like Lee has realised that their inclusion was OK for a couple of episodes but not best for the long term.

Yeah, it wouldn't have suited an episode like that. Besides, a steam train trip probably wouldn't be much of a treat for most children, it'd be more like a punishment!

Quote: a plate @ 24th July 2023, 9:04 PM

a steam train trip probably wouldn't be much of a treat for most children, it'd be more like a punishment!

Certainly doesn't apply to any children I know!

Quote: a plate @ 24th July 2023, 9:04 PM

Yeah, it wouldn't have suited an episode like that. Besides, a steam train trip probably wouldn't be much of a treat for most children, it'd be more like a punishment!

Wash your mouth out.

I mean, admittedly their kids are teenagers so maybe. But still.

Oh, yeah, I hadn't even thought about where the kids might be; they could've put in a line referring to that. They missed a trick by not getting the babysitter from "Schooling" that we never saw the face of in again(!)

It's a shame the kids have been relegated as they have, as there's definite potential in them now they've significantly aged from earlier episodes, though I would understand if Mack didn't want to go down the route of NGO becoming too similar to My Family.

----

I don't really have much to say about tonight's episode, given it was much stronger than last week's, with proper laughs rather than just chuckles. Actually getting the kid(s) involved gave the episode a new layer that I didn't expect, on top of the way in which it dealt with the subject of Lee and Lucy's marriage in a way in which the nuances around its depiction changed as the episode went on. The previous episode of a similar set-up, "Memory", worked in its greater simplicity, but tonight's episode embraced the various aspects of the set and its relation to the characters. And the poor kitchen - that's the second time they've had a row of cabinets collapse on them; are we gonna get an entirely new set for it next week/next series again this time?(!)

One slight issue is I feel Lee's character is becoming ever more fitting of the caricature/stereotype of a pathetic, middle-aged man - potentially yet another trope the show routinely deploys in recent series that could get old - and yet again there was some straining to the whole episode, with the performances and the scripting not feeling as comfortably natural as the show used to be so good at demonstrating; the most convincing acting, IMO, came from the interactions between Lucy and Molly (who seems a tad too old now to be needing a parent to rest next to them as they go to sleep, but I let that go early on). "Beep" and "Hospital" are the high points, so far, of this OK run.

And goof-watch-wise, anyone else notice the second time Lee ate part of his meal, and winced at the taste, he hadn't actually put anything on his fork?!

----

New comedy The Power of Parker afterwards got off to a brilliant start - demonstrating Sian Gibson's talent not only as a performer but as a (co-)writer - although it is a shame that it's yet another half-hour comedy-drama that seems designed to be self-contained, rather than a proper sitcom format that could run and run, even though such formats aren't really in vogue these days; yes, Queen of Oz fulfilled that... kinda, but given the ratings both here and down under, as well as the critical reception (which unfairly shaped the judgement of the series IMO, as it significantly improved as it went on), the only run and run that's likely to make is to the bottom of WHSmiths' bargain bin if they ever dare to release it on DVD.

Another good in-depth post, octothorpe. I pretty much have the opposite view, though - I didn't like tonight's episode much at all. It was just bickering and relationship talk, nothing particularly noteworthy or rewatchable about it IMO. I thought last week's episode on the train was much better, mixing up the dynamics a bit and stuff.

BTW, there's a different thread about The Power of Parker, if you want to copy/paste your thoughts about it there: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/36975/

Yes I thought last night's was quite poor. It comes back to that thing of Lee and Lucy just bickering and sniping, which isn't funny or entertaining in the slightest.

Solid enough final episode of the series last night, probably coming in just below "Hospital" and "Beep" in terms of ranking the series' episodes for me. It was a bit uneven - the humour largely packed into the first half of the programme (which saved the episode IMO), the second half weighed down by stilted scenes and jokes that took too long to get a pay-off - but nevertheless watchable and decent.

It's been a bit of an inconsistent series, but in no way poor, and as with previous runs - especially the two COVID-impacted ones - the episodes may get better with re-watches. Ratings seem to have improved slightly on the last series too.

Also, BCG seem to have decided that the show has 99 episodes now, rather than 100. Have they reclassified something, maybe one of the specials that aired more distinctly from a regular series, in the last few days?

I don't quite understand what's going on with episode numbering and what people think what is, elsewhere, but there have been 99 regular episodes; 1 short in Children In Need; and 1 out-takes special.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th August 2023, 8:33 PM

I don't quite understand what's going on with episode numbering and what people think what is, elsewhere, but there have been 99 regular episodes; 1 short in Children In Need; and 1 out-takes special.

Thanks for clarifying. The stuff I've read in recent weeks about how NGO might be ending with this series as it would allow Mack to finish it on a round 100 episodes is just false/baseless, then? There appears to be no indication that there's anything more from the show coming down the tracks, with this series being the last of the most recent recommission order (which comprised three series), so it's firmly up in the air what's happening next. If the decision had been made to bring the show to an end - Mack is becoming a lot busier, after all - a special (for Christmas or otherwise) comes across as the most obvious, natural way of doing it, and actually planning and devising a proper end - in its status as serving the channel well for quite some time now being deserving of such treatment - precludes the show from going out with a fizzle like My Family did. Does anyone happen to be in the know?

Quote: octothorpe @ 6th August 2023, 3:39 AM

Does anyone happen to be in the know?

Wideawakeasleep on Page 2 of this thread says a Christmas episode did film, but I haven't seen confirmation elsewhere.

Mack was only putting it out there that it would be nice to end on episode 100, rather than confirming anything himself too. So this may be it.

I doubt it though, remember how good a finale the last 2 episodes of Series 7 felt? Well to me, maybe others hated it! And that felt like it was meant to be the ending (Tim's return, and the roll call of cameos of side characters). I imagine if Mack wants to end it on his terms, this week's episode isn't how he'd want it to end, I'd have thought he'd do something bigger.

Quote: octothorpe @ 6th August 2023, 3:39 AM

Thanks for clarifying. The stuff I've read in recent weeks about how NGO might be ending with this series as it would allow Mack to finish it on a round 100 episodes is just false/baseless, then?

Well it's not entirely baseless, but it is somewhat jumping to a conclusion without any concrete evidence. That there haven't been any more commissions publicly announced, that Mack has apparently (?) said he'd like to end on a round number, and that 100 is approaching, is not proof it's the end.

I can now confirm absolutely that there IS a Christmas special already recorded, bringing the total to 100.