Ageism in comedy commissioning Page 2

Is there a way of blocking users? This comedy- wannabe, ageist prick is giving me IBS.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:18 PM

if you're going to delete attempted comedic replies that fall flat on their face then 'you're not worth replying to be honest.

I didn't delete it, I'm on my phone and it disappeared. I said you were an incel, sitting in your mother's basement typing try-hard replies in your grubby underpants and as funny as chlamydia 🙂

It's called being put in your place lollypop. As for your potential bout of IBS could I suggest that you don't start arguments and then demand the person you're engaging with be banned because they wiped the floor with you.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:22 PM

It's called being put in your place lollypop. As for your potential bout of IBS could I suggest that you don't start arguments and then demand the person you're engaging with be banned because they wiped the floor with you.

:D :D <---- That's me laughing AT you, not with you. You genuinely believe you have the upper hand here don't you? You strike me as the kind of bloke who thinks he's as well-endowed in the bedroom department as he is in the ego department...
I never asked for you to be banned, I asked if I could personally block you so I don't have to watch you repeatedly die.

Quote: Hildegard @ 12th January 2023, 1:47 PM

Age is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010. Imagine he'd said "black/gay/disabled people aren't naturally funny". Would you still be saying it's ok because he said it wasn't set in stone?

You should write in and challenge them on this basis.

Remind them that the majority of television audiences are 55+ at the same time.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th January 2023, 2:39 PM

You should write in and challenge them on this basis.

Remind them that the majority of television audiences are 55+ at the same time.

Thank you. I can't find an email address that seems relevant.

angryateverythingIcomeaross@ hotmail.com

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:47 PM

angryateverythingIcomeaross@ hotmail.com

That's bloody rich coming from you, Teddy. Be quiet.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th January 2023, 2:49 PM

Thank you.

Fair enough it's your page and you set the parameters.

I found an email Aaron, thank you. I shall be polite but firm. Their Diversity Policy is, shall we say..'interesting'. All companies need to address ageism, not just C4.

Quote: Hildegard @ 12th January 2023, 12:34 PM

In the Q&A just now with Andy Brereton he said "Comedy naturally falls around 18-34". Whether he meant the creation or enjoyment of comedy I didn't get a chance to ask. Needless to say as a 57 yr old new, female comedy writer I'm absolutely f**king appalled. I was watching Channel 4 when he was still a sperm. I'm used to sexism in comedy but ageism too?
FFS

The fact of the matter is 18-34 will be the age of the audience he needs to attract.
Old enough to have money, but young enough to buy something simply because the saw it on a commercial.
In terms of creating and enjoying comedy what he says is clearly nonsense.
Jack Bayles, the previous Head of Commissioning for Comedy at C4, was a good bloke.
He bemoaned the lack of senior/experienced writing talent - as he found himself constantly battling to get decent scripts out of, essentially, stand-ups who'd been given a show.
Agesim is huge problem in TV.
But there's f**k all you can do about it, because they'll always say it's the script they don't like, not the writer.
Which may, of course, be true.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th January 2023, 4:20 PM

The fact of the matter is 18-34 will be the age of the audience he needs to attract.
Old enough to have money, but young enough to buy something simply because the saw it on a commercial.
In terms of creating and enjoying comedy what he says is clearly nonsense.
Jack Bayles, the previous Head of Commissioning for Comedy at C4, was a good bloke.
He bemoaned the lack of senior/experienced writing talent - as he found himself constantly battling to get decent scripts out of, essentially, stand-ups who'd been given a show.
Agesim is huge problem in TV.
But there's f**k all you can do about it, because they'll always say it's the script they don't like, not the writer.
Which may, of course, be true.

I disagree you see. As a 57 yr old, female writer/performer I see a very strong push for comedy that represents that particular dynamic. People consume what they're told is 'zeitgeist' and whilst C4 has a diversity policy that covers, LGBTQ, disability and gender it completely misses out age. Young, male commissioners simply can't see how women over 50 could possibly be funny because they're boring, when women over 50 are an incredibly subversive, transgressive group. We simply don't give a f**k what anyone thinks of us.
That's why I disagree that nothing can be done about it. I've already got a producer interested in my sitcom about the menopause. If companies like C4 don't take their discriminatory blinkers off they're going to get left behind.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th January 2023, 2:49 PM

Brilliant Aaron.

Why post that?
What do you hope to gain?
Apart from it being a childlike playground attempt at affiliation with the prefect, its asinine at best.
Up your game mate, you're truly boring.
This is last time I will be replying to anyone on this issue as I came on to explain what the man said not fight.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 6:09 PM

Why post that?
What do you hope to gain?
Apart from it being a childlike playground attempt at affiliation with the prefect, its asinine at best.
Up your game mate, you're truly boring.
This is last time I will be replying to anyone on this issue as I came on to explain what the man said not fight.

Teddy, you're the one who started the unpleasantness 🤷‍♀️