Ageism in comedy commissioning

In the Q&A just now with Andy Brereton he said "Comedy naturally falls around 18-34". Whether he meant the creation or enjoyment of comedy I didn't get a chance to ask. Needless to say as a 57 yr old new, female comedy writer I'm absolutely f**king appalled. I was watching Channel 4 when he was still a sperm. I'm used to sexism in comedy but ageism too?
FFS

To be fair he never said it was written in stone and he confirmed that if its funny and it works then age isn't an issue.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 1:41 PM

To be fair he never said it was written in stone and he confirmed that if its funny and it works then age isn't an issue.

Oh, that's ok then 😂

Age is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010. Imagine he'd said "black/gay/disabled people aren't naturally funny". Would you still be saying it's ok because he said it wasn't set in stone?

On paper he is the customer and he is stating what he wants. If SAGA ever open a channel you're quids in and I bet you won't be complaining if they say the age is 55+ and every plot has to have a faulty stair lift.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 1:51 PM

On paper he is the customer and he is stating what he wants. If SAGA ever open a channel you're quids in and I bet you won't be complaining if they say the age is 55+ and every plot has to have a faulty stair lift.

Wow.

You're easily alarmed you might want to look into that.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 1:53 PM

You're easily alarmed you might want to look into that.

I'm not alarmed I'm disappointed. Is that really the level of attempted comedy round here? How old are you?

Its not comedy its just a reply to your original post. All he said was what he wanted, so if it doesn't work for you then find a channel or outlet that suits.

And if he said he only wanted White comedy?

You're looking for an argument that's not there. A commercial channel has taken the trouble to tell writers what it wants, just see it for that and perhaps loosen your tie.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:01 PM

You're looking for an argument that's not there. A commercial channel has taken the trouble to tell writers what it wants, just see it for that and perhaps loosen your tie.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm stating a point that's going over your head. If you continue patronising me I'm happy enough to tear you a new arsehole but let's at least attempt to keep it polite eh?
He used the word 'natural'; that the comedy bracket is 'naturally' between 18 & 34. Now, I'm attempting to make it understandable to you by swapping age for colour or sex....
I *could* publicly out him and force C4 into having to make a public apology because he's actually broken the law but I'm going to try to find his email and discuss with him why and how he's become so blinkered.

Let us know what it says on your 'Restraining Order' once he gets your email. I think it might be 500 yards, I was going to say 457 meters but I'm not sure if you have converted to decimal.

Lad with some people its a struggle not to take my socks off and explain it to them through puppets on a Zoom meet.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:12 PM

Lad with some people its a struggle not to take my socks off and explain it to them through puppets on a Zoom meet.

Is it a special puppet that children have to point to parts of?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 2:10 PM

Let us know what it says on your 'Restraining Order' once he gets your email. I think it might be 500 yards, I was going to say 457 meters but I'm not sure if you have converted to decimal.

Y'know, it's a mystery how you've got all those pilots and no agent 🤷‍♀️

if you're going to delete attempted comedic replies that fall flat on their face then 'you're not worth replying to be honest.