Ageism in comedy commissioning Page 3

Trying to rise above the unpleasantness for a moment - fair play for having a word with the Commmisioner.
I understand your frustration.
I've a couple of years on you and, like most writers, write the kind of stuff I want to see on the screen(writing what *they* want invariably ends in disaster- or at best mediocrity).
There is a massive older audience out there, hungry for stuff thats not inane and idiotic.
And there is some stuff made - the trouble is they go to the same old names to supply them.
Breaking in is the problem.
Some of the streamers are a little more broad-minded, but it's an uphill struggle.
All you can do is keep plugging away.
And for God's sake, don't write to order.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th January 2023, 6:38 PM

Trying to rise above the unpleasantness for a moment - fair play for having a word with the Commmisioner.
I understand your frustration.
I've a couple of years on you and, like most writers, write the kind of stuff I want to see on the screen(writing what *they* want invariably ends in disaster- or at best mediocrity).
There is a massive older audience out there, hungry for stuff thats not inane and idiotic.
And there is some stuff made - the trouble is they go to the same old names to supply them.
Breaking in is the problem.
Some of the streamers are a little more broad-minded, but it's an uphill struggle.
All you can do is keep plugging away.
And for God's sake, don't write to order.

Oh, I'm in no way suggesting it will be easy but there is such strong feeling about this among older writers and performers, particularly women, that it isn't going to go away. I reckon we're at the same stage as disabled comedy writers/performers were about 15 - 20 years ago, possibly less. The good thing about about older women though, is we're extremely loud, belligerent and really quite scary :D

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th January 2023, 6:09 PM

Why post that?
What do you hope to gain?
Apart from it being a childlike playground attempt at affiliation with the prefect, its asinine at best.
Up your game mate, you're truly boring.
This is last time I will be replying to anyone on this issue as I came on to explain what the man said not fight.

I get what you were saying but in the words of Vic Reeves "You wouldn't let it lie."

I wish Bob would talk about Jim on Gone Fishing but so far I don't think he has. Just thinking about the nightclub with Paul Baron makes me laugh. Morwenna Banks is always comedy gold in everything she does.

I don't know about the interview with Andy Breteton so am unsure of the context but when he was talking about ages of audiences he could have been referring to statistics from viewing figures and I can see some logic there because a lot of comedy output now seems to be aimed at a younger audience and it sounds like he was talking about viewers not performers. Getting angry with people here is not the answer nor is asking someone to be polite and then using phrases like 'tear them a new arsehole' and 'prick'. Practice what you preach is my motto. Disappointing when someone resorts to that level of vulgarity.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th January 2023, 10:20 PM

I wish Bob would talk about Jim on Gone Fishing but so far I don't think he has. Just thinking about the nightclub with Paul Baron makes me laugh. Morwenna Banks is always comedy gold in everything she does.

I don't know about the interview with Andy Breteton so am unsure of the context but when he was talking about ages of audiences he could have been referring to statistics from viewing figures and I can see some logic there because a lot of comedy output now seems to be aimed at a younger audience and it sounds like he was talking about viewers not performers. Getting angry with people here is not the answer nor is asking someone to be polite and then using phrases like 'tear them a new arsehole' and 'prick'. Practice what you preach is my motto. Disappointing when someone resorts to that level of vulgarity.

Terribly unladylike isn't it?

He used the word 'naturally'. That's the issue.

Quote: Hildegard @ 12th January 2023, 11:00 PM

Terribly unladylike isn't it?

He used the word 'naturally'. That's the issue.

Gender doesn't come in to it. Calling someone a prick has the same effect regardless of how we identify and can be hurtful. I'm not trying to talk for anyone else but if someone referred to me as a prick it would affect me emotionally.

The word 'naturally' can have different meanings so I agree with you on pursuing this and seeing if anything has contravened the Equality Act. Even if there is no legal aspect you can still make a formal complaint about the language used and how it could affect the industry for older performers. I support you with this and can see you're passionate about it but don't let it make you angry.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 12th January 2023, 11:36 PM

Gender doesn't come in to it. Calling someone a prick has the same effect regardless of how we identify and can be hurtful. I'm not trying to talk for anyone else but if someone referred to me as a prick it would affect me emotionally.

The word 'naturally' can have different meanings so I agree with you on pursuing this and seeing if anything has contravened the Equality Act. Even if there is no legal aspect you can still make a formal complaint about the language used and how it could affect the industry for older performers. I support you with this and can see you're passionate about it but don't let it make you angry.

I'm sorry, but I've no idea who you are and you've completely misread the situation. I responded to a poster on here because of the way he was replying to me. I have no intention of responding angrily to Andy Brererton, I want to open a dialogue about it.
You may not be aware of how patronising you're being but I will respond to some bloke on a forum being a dick exactly how I see fit until a moderator says otherwise. Thank you for your support in the ageism issue but if you have a problem with 'vulgarity' and not what it was in response to then I'm afraid you're not an ally.
Oh, and if being called a prick would affect you emotionally, that's really not my problem. Your emotions are not my responsibility.

You might want to look over the forum rules regarding personal abuse.

And, you probably have a valid point about ageism but you tried to equate it with racism and sexual orientation etc.
Those are miles apart.
Have a bee in your bonnet about it by all means but refrain from insulting other posters for whatever your reasons.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th January 2023, 8:06 AM

You might want to look over the forum rules regarding personal abuse.

And, you probably have a valid point about ageism but you tried to equate it with racism and sexual orientation etc.
Those are miles apart.
Have a bee in your bonnet about it by all means but refrain from insulting other posters for whatever your reasons.

I take it you read Teddy's posts too? I'm always amused by people who fixate on swear words, even really mild ones like prick and completely ignore sustained, personal digs and insults. It's a word, a very mild word.
On the subject of ageism, it is absolutely the same as whatever affects any other protected characteristic under the Equality Act. I was a disability consultant, I also have an HND in health and social care. You're wrong but that's fine. Use this as an opportunity to learn 🙂

Everybody eventually goes into the ageist category, the others are born with it. Not the same thing at all.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th January 2023, 9:13 AM

Everybody eventually goes into the ageist category, the others are born with it. Not the same thing at all.

Oh god 🤦‍♀️
You have a nice day, Stephen 🙂

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th January 2023, 9:13 AM

Oh god 🤦‍♀️
You have a nice day, Stephen 🙂

FYI

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the-change/

He might bring this up, so best be prepared.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th January 2023, 10:26 AM

FYI

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the-change/

He might bring this up, so best be prepared.

Oooh, I didn't know about that. Simultaneously pleased and pissed off 😂

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th January 2023, 8:06 AM

you probably have a valid point about ageism but you tried to equate it with racism and sexual orientation etc.
Those are miles apart.

Not in law. They're all covered by the same equalities legislation.

Good. I'd be mortified if someone used agism against me. I couldn't carry on.