Ageism in comedy commissioning Page 4

Did anyone listen to this man? He went out of his way to tell writers what he was looking for.
As I said originally he said that his viewers were in an age group but he also CLEARLY stated that the age of the writer wasn't an issue. For him it all hangs on if the thing is 'Funny'
The next minute he's being accused of talking like Hitler, it's all hyperbole.
On top of that the people being castigated have produced the very thing they apparently are dead set against.
In short the man who is capable of commissioning programmes is looking for funny scripts , what more can he do?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th January 2023, 12:21 PM

Did anyone listen to this man? He went out of his way to tell writers what he was looking for.
As I said originally he said that his viewers were in an age group but he also CLEARLY stated that the age of the writer wasn't an issue. For him it all hangs on if the thing is 'Funny'
The next minute he's being accused of talking like Hitler, it's all hyperbole.
On top of that the people being castigated have produced the very thing they apparently are dead set against.
In short the man who is capable of commissioning programmes is looking for funny scripts , what more can he do?

No one has accused him of talking like Hitler, don't be ridiculous. The programme that's coming out was commissioned before he was in role.

This is a comedy site and the subject is comedy, as such please see references in that context as it helps an awful lot.
At the end of the day we are becoming almost as litigious as the Americans so you can see why companies steer clear of interactions.
Just see the thing for what it was, not what you think it should have been.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th January 2023, 12:38 PM

This is a comedy site and the subject is comedy, as such please see references in that context as it helps an awful lot.
At the end of the day we are becoming almost as litigious as the Americans so you can see why companies steer clear of interactions.
Just see the thing for what it was, not what you think it should have been.

I AM seeing it for what it was. It's you who aren't. That's fine in itself but you've railroaded through this thread since it started, trumpeting your (wrong) opinion. Know when to stop, eh?

A comedy commissioner once told me that the ideal sitcom consisted of two middle aged people, with younger and older characters as counterbalance. Having said that, his company broadcast my sitcom about three elderly characters...

Quote: beaky @ 13th January 2023, 1:43 PM

A comedy commissioner once told me that the ideal sitcom consisted of two middle aged people, with younger and older characters as counterbalance. Having said that, his company broadcast my sitcom about three elderly characters...

It's like we've gone from one extreme to the other. I can see how a lot of traditional sitcoms set ups wouldn't appeal to the under 35's but C4 are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they focus solely on comedy for that age bracket. Especially as many of us are old enough to remember C4 in its heyday.

Quote: Hildegard @ 13th January 2023, 1:58 PM

It's like we've gone from one extreme to the other. I can see how a lot of traditional sitcoms set ups wouldn't appeal to the under 35's but C4 are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they focus solely on comedy for that age bracket. Especially as many of us are old enough to remember C4 in its heyday.

Oh god, I've just written an "I remember when it was all fields round here" post, haven't I?

C4 is funded by adverts. If companies demand your target audience is gen y or whatever, to reach them better than on other channels, then you gear your progs to appeal to that group.

If you're not in that group or can't write for that group, then send your scripts to other channels.

Quote: Hildegard @ 13th January 2023, 1:58 PM

C4 are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they focus solely on comedy for that age bracket. Especially as many of us are old enough to remember C4 in its heyday.

Yes, and they've always been different, leftish and trendy and appealing to those types who tend to be younger and cosmopolitan. This is not a new angle for them.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th January 2023, 2:17 PM

C4 is funded by adverts. If companies demand your target audience is gen y or whatever, to reach them better than on other channels, then you gear your progs to appeal to that group.

If you're not in that group or can't write for that group, then send your scripts to other channels.

Yes, and they've always been different, leftish and trendy and appealing to those types who tend to be younger and cosmopolitan. This is not a new angle for them.

I replied to this already and it disappeared.

Anyway - 1) I disagree.

2) You've just made a huge generalisation. The trouble with ageism is it's like sexism in that it's so deeply ingrained that it's somehow seen as acceptable and just the way things are.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th January 2023, 3:59 PM

Very good, Stephen. That's really quite funny. Good old Viz, eh?

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th January 2023, 10:26 AM

FYI

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the-change/

He might bring this up, so best be prepared.

I can't view that.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th January 2023, 6:03 PM

I can't view that.

We're having a few system issues today. Try again.

Quote: Hildegard @ 12th January 2023, 12:34 PM

In the Q&A just now with Andy Brereton he said "Comedy naturally falls around 18-34". Whether he meant the creation or enjoyment of comedy I didn't get a chance to ask. Needless to say as a 57 yr old new, female comedy writer I'm absolutely f**king appalled. I was watching Channel 4 when he was still a sperm. I'm used to sexism in comedy but ageism too?
FFS

18-34 is (or certainly was) roughly the age demographic of comedy club gig goes in USA & UK. Which is where the money was before covid. I'm guessing advertisers also prefer to target them, as they're more likely to try new things and have more expendable income (b4 kids).

Quote: Firkin @ 13th January 2023, 8:00 PM

18-34 is (or certainly was) roughly the age demographic of comedy club gig goes in USA & UK. Which is where the money was before covid. I'm guessing advertisers also prefer to target them, as they're more likely to try new things and have more expendable income (b4 kids).

More likely to try new things.....I can't even..
Over 55's have more disposable income than under 35's these days because they mostly bought their houses when they were affordable.

Not according to current marketing statistics... https://www.statista.com/statistics/824464/mean-disposable-income-per-household-by-age-uk/

My kids reliability inform me that the minute parents start turning up to gigs, it's no longer fashionable. So some things don't change. But I'm impressed you managed to squeeze sperm and f**king into your take on what Andy meant by 18-34 . That's how they use to promote club18-30 back in the day.