Motherland Page 4

Quote: zooo @ 16th June 2021, 4:15 PM

I can't find the Christmas special anywhere. Bloody BBC.

There was nothing wrong with your post per se, but it had nothing about Motherland in it, and the programme specific threads do need to stay on topic. Chip's post which you replied to did have something about Motherland in it.

(I know it might seem a bit over zealous, but if we're not careful we have all sorts of tangents on the programme specific threads, when people just want to read about the show.)

They also said 'BCG', not 'BCG forums' - there's been very little on the website itself about Motherland whereas Inside No 9 gets a lot of attention (both new seasons premiered on the same night on the same channel). I've seen a couple of press clippings about Motherland and they were mostly negative, which was a shame and I'd say reflects only a small minority. The writing is unfailingly sharp - you sit down to watch an episode and you know it's going to give you your fix, whereas an anthology series is so hit-and-miss you can easily be disappointed one week when you loved it the last.

But anyway, as you said, this is the Motherland thread, not the Motherland vs. whatever thread.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th June 2021, 2:59 PM

Hard to see why my post of yesterday was deemed off-topic when I was responding to an earlier post on this very thread (which itself hadn't been deemed off-topic) and which was both effectively unfavourably comparing the Carry On films with the subject of this thread and, at the same time, criticising fellow BCG members for having more regard for those long-enduring films than for a TV programme that has so far lasted just three series.

And I did all that in one pithy sentence. Cool

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to offend you, Billy, it was merely an aside. And possibly a lament that we used to talk about current comedy more on this forum, rather than just endlessly fixating on the past. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it would be nice to recognise more some of the current shows with good writing and acting, such as Motherland.

As for the Carry on films, I have no problem with them as a franchise, although they were very much the Fast and Furious of their day, with sexual innuendo and Bernard Bresslaw in the place of car chases and Vin Diesel.

Bresslaw could have Diesel easy, did you see how far he threw people in Carry On Loving? :O

Anyway, Motherland, yes, or do I mean hmm? I have seen large chunks of episodes and this alone means I must enjoy something in it, although I can't put my finger on what. No I can, the acting is interesting, the portrayal of one or two quirky characters is quite fun. Not sure of her name but the actress who's always standing or sitting at strange angles I find amusing. She's doing it in the photo above.

So it's nice to see some physical quirks in a sitcom again, albeit subtle ones. They used to be a common element in sitcoms. The format it's done in and maybe the subject aren't my things usually but I do quite like the end result, the bits I've casually seen, without getting into it or really wanting to.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th June 2021, 12:23 PM

Laughing out loud Like it.

I love the show but I can't help wondering how long it will be before they change the title to 'Land of Gestational Parents'.

Actually, as it happens, Motherland is one of the more recent comedies that I have enjoyed (along with Friday Night Dinner & Derry Girls) as I had previously stated on this very thread:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th October 2019, 9:29 AM

Pleased to see that this returns for a second series on Monday. Probably, apart from Derry Girls, the best comedy series of the last couple of years (not that that's hard to achieve).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th October 2019, 9:26 AM

No, this is nothing like Mum. This one can be quite amusing at times.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th June 2021, 12:23 PM

Laughing out loud

Been promoted to BBC One alongside Two Doors Down for their new Christmas specials, maybe its permanent home after if the special does well? And if they make more, obvs.

I found I somehow missed Series 3 so playing catch up (last one I saw was the Christmas episode a few years ago). Bizarrely there's only a few episodes on iPlayer but the whole show is on Netflix (UK) if you have that.

*My ramblings*

We watched the 2022 Christmas special and well, hmm - why are all of the children still at primary school? Surely they're secondary age by now or are the viewers to assume that there's a kind of time vortex?

It's all very monied - even the exterior shots outside Liz's social housing estate look really nice. What does Julia's bog useless husband do for a living to be able to pay the mortgage on a huge semi in Acton?

After the rather tragic storyline I do hope that this is the end now? It's run Its course and is morphing into Outnumbered S4 onwards.

One final note: one of the four writers, Helen Serafinowicz has clearly reverted back to her maiden name. Poor old Graham Linehan :(

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 27th December 2022, 10:41 AM

We watched the 2022 Christmas special and well, hmm - why are all of the children still at primary school? Surely they're secondary age by now or are the viewers to assume that there's a kind of time vortex?

I think it is all supposed to be set within a relatively short time-frame, yes. Wouldn't be the first comedy to not keep to real-world time: Bart Simpson has been 10 for thirty-six years now, and all eight series and pilot of Hi-De-Hi! were set over the course of just two summer seasons, 1959 and 60.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th December 2022, 4:34 PM

I think it is all supposed to be set within a relatively short time-frame, yes. Wouldn't be the first comedy to not keep to real-world time: Bart Simpson has been 10 for thirty-six years now, and all eight series and pilot of Hi-De-Hi! were set over the course of just two summer seasons, 1959 and 60.

Ah, thanks Aaron, you're right. Peep Show was similar too, Mark and Jez seemed to remain in their twenties and thirties for years.

I think that I am done with Motherland though or maybe I have just totally bypassed all of that kind of thing now?

One final note: one of the four writers, Helen Serafinowicz has clearly reverted back to her maiden name.

She's been Serafinowicz since Series 3 at least (I just watched an episode).

I enjoyed the Christmas special. And to me it feels like it still has legs.

why are all of the children still at primary school? Surely they're secondary age by now or are the viewers to assume that there's a kind of time vortex?

Billy Bunter and his schoolmates were in the same form from 1908 to 1961.

I would like at least 10 more series, please.