- 23rd September via Chortle: Motherland & There She Goes up for International Emmys
- 8th September: Comedies in the running for Edinburgh TV Festival Awards 2021
- 2016 - 2021
- BBC Two
- 19 (1 pilot + 3 series)
- Sharon Horgan, Graham Linehan, Helen Serafinowicz and Holly Walsh
- Anna Maxwell Martin, Diane Morgan, Paul Ready, Lucy Punch, Philippa Dunne, Tanya Moodie, Ellie Haddington, Oliver Chris and others
- Sharon Horgan, Helen Serafinowicz, Holly Walsh, Barunka O'Shaughnessy and Graham Linehan
- Juliet May and Simon Hynd
- Richard Boden, Sam Pinnell and Caroline Norris
Motherland is a show all about navigating the trials and traumas of middle-class motherhood, looking at the competitive and unromantic sides of parenting - not the cute and acceptable public face of motherhood.
We meet the 'Alpha Mums' headed by Amanda, who is very much the Queen Bee: everything is organised, clean and sparkly - even the kitchen cork board is a statement of success. Yet at the other end of the spectrum, we meet Liz, who's totally chaotic and feels the kids should enjoy free expression.
Somewhere in the middle is Julia, who, when she forgets it's the school holidays, realises her organisational skills are nowhere near the level of the 'Alpha Mums'. Also in the mix is Kevin. He's the stay at home dad, who, rather than fighting against that, is embracing it with gusto - much to the irritation of the other mothers.
Motherland isn't the public face of motherhood, it's unromanticised parenting: competition, cafes full of kids, dog-poo bags standing in as replacement lunchboxes...
- Part of
- Production companies
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 6th September 2016 on BBC Two at 10pm
- Last new broadcast
- Monday 7th June 2021 on BBC Two at 9pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 3 Episode 5: Friday at 2:15am on BBC4