Motherland Page 3

Interesting start to the new series. I preferred it to Series 1 - or at least my lasting memory of Series 1 and how much I enjoyed it.

Diane Morgan is fantastic in everything.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th October 2019, 6:32 PM

Diane Morgan is fantastic in everything.

No she's not. Angry

Bit late to the party on this but I've just watched the pilot and was very impressed. Laugh out loud funny. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Curiously, season 3 is going out now but seems to have been largely ignored by the BCG. Then again, we do have fifty year old Carry On films to discuss.

Quote: chipolata @ 15th June 2021, 9:44 AM

Curiously, season 3 is going out now but seems to have been largely ignored by the BCG.

Yes.

It's the best British comedy since Detectorists and Derry Girls IMO (not sure which came first, but those three tie it for me). It doesn't dip in quality and I'd say it's easily the best thing to have been made in 2021. Be sure not to miss the 2020 Christmas special because it's probably separate on iplayer, but it's very much part of the ongoing story.

Quote: EllieS @ 15th June 2021, 9:50 AM

Yes.

It's the best British comedy since Detectorists and Derry Girls IMO (not sure which came first, but those three tie it for me). It doesn't dip in quality and I'd say it's easily the best thing to have been made in 2021. Be sure not to miss the 2020 Christmas special because it's probably separate on iplayer, but it's very much part of the ongoing story.

I definitely will. I didn't even realise there was a Christmas special.

Quote: chipolata @ 15th June 2021, 11:36 AM

I definitely will. I didn't even realise there was a Christmas special.

I think it's technically episode 1 of series 3 because, if you notice, there are only 5 episodes. I did a webinar with Helen Serafinowicz (née Linehan) and I think she said they just released the first episode a bit early. It's a real lighthouse in the storm amid all the horrible, C-word obsessed TV output at the moment, as well as parent-focused comedies that think children are somehow endearing or funny on TV. I didn't care for Catastrophe at all, I'm afraid, but Motherland is a real breath of fresh air in terms of family-orientated comedy.

Just as an aside, I went to a celebrity UC recording in 2019 and Anna Maxwell-Martin was one of the contestants - she came across as absolutely lovely and somewhat similar to Julia in real life, so that's always a bonus.

I've rewatched the whole lot probably three times. I had forgotten all about the Christmas special, which isn't on iplayer for some reason. :O

Quote: zooo @ 15th June 2021, 6:16 PM

I've rewatched the whole lot probably three times. I had forgotten all about the Christmas special, which isn't on iplayer for some reason. :O

"Mein kraft" was a belter.

Assuming you've seen the episode...

Quote: EllieS @ 15th June 2021, 6:58 PM

"Mein kraft" was a belter.

Assuming you've seen the episode...

Laughing out loud
I've only seen it once, but I do remember that.

Quote: EllieS @ 15th June 2021, 12:14 PM

I
Just as an aside, I went to a celebrity UC recording in 2019 and Anna Maxwell-Martin was one of the contestants - she came across as absolutely lovely and somewhat similar to Julia in real life, so that's always a bonus.

She's one hell of an actress. It's hard to believe that Julia and the somewhat sinister policewoman from Line of Duty are played by the same person.

Hard to see why my post of yesterday was deemed off-topic when I was responding to an earlier post on this very thread (which itself hadn't been deemed off-topic) and which was both effectively unfavourably comparing the Carry On films with the subject of this thread and, at the same time, criticising fellow BCG members for having more regard for those long-enduring films than for a TV programme that has so far lasted just three series. As such it clearly needed a response.

I read your post and wondered why it was greyed.

Garry the builder isn't every woman's fantasy but he (or at least the actor playing him) was SMOKIN' hot in his younger days.

I can't find the Christmas special anywhere. Bloody BBC.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th June 2021, 2:59 PM

Hard to see why my post of yesterday was deemed off-topic when I was responding to an earlier post on this very thread (which itself hadn't been deemed off-topic) and which was both effectively unfavourably comparing the Carry On films with the subject of this thread and, at the same time, criticising fellow BCG members for having more regard for those long-enduring films than for a TV programme that has so far lasted just three series. As such it clearly needed a response.

There was nothing wrong with your post per se, but it had nothing about Motherland in it, and the programme specific threads do need to stay on topic. Chip's post which you replied to did have something about Motherland in it.

(I know it might seem a bit over zealous, but if we're not careful we have all sorts of tangents on the programme specific threads, when people just want to read about the show.)