Status report Page 6,085

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th January 2021, 2:01 PM

What about the brothel?

That's still open, but someone has lost the front door key - so that's a cock up.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th January 2021, 11:42 PM

How the f**k did you swing that? You're not old enough or vulnerable?

You're always saying I'm old. Actually I work in a Hospital. I do Gender reallignment. The pay's not great but the tips make it worthwhile.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th January 2021, 6:03 PM

You're always saying I'm old. Actually I work in a Hospital.

Front line - Natch, that's all I wanted to know.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th January 2021, 6:03 PM

Actually I work in a Hospital. I do Gender reallignment. The pay's not great but the tips make it worthwhile.

Laughing out loud Thhrrrummmmmppp Tisssshhhhh - I Thangyow.

Hold the front page - Chappers cracked a joke that was actually funny! Can you tell MM about your talent as he needs all the help he can get.

Just canceled our flights in March and rescheduled for later in the year. Hopefully the lockdown will be over by then.

Here's our rough itinerary. It would be nice to have a few beers with some of you. You can meet my grandkids and my daughter's husband and his sister. He's distraught that he won't be able to carry a knife or gun (he's a cop).

August 2nd and 3rd - London
August 4th - York
August 5th and 6th -Edinburgh
August 7th and 8th - Lake District area
August 9th - Manchester
August 10th through the 13th - Dublin

Don't take this the wrong way, please, but I am amazed by your optimism. This is Britain, someone somewhere will find a way to hold things up, at the mo it's the EU threatening to. I'm also alarmed by the month you've chosen, in a normal year the busiest tourist and holiday period by far, who knows what it could be like this year!

You could either be coming to places you can't move in, especially the Lake District, or places you can't go to because of lockdown or covid restrictions still. Don't forget that because of Brexit and EU vindictiveness/visa issues, a lot more of us will be holidaying here this year until we hear what the travelling to Europe experience was like.

Also, forgive me, but Manchester instead of Liverpool? Teary You'll also want more than a day in Yorkshire once you're there.

We're not booking anything that isn't fully refundable, so if places are still locked down we'll reschedule the trip for later, just as we did for our original trip in March. By the time August rolls around the vaccination programs will have been in operation for 7 months; if we have to provide proof of vaccination or a negative test, so be it. Our economies can't take much more of this beating, so I remain guardedly optimistic that travel will be allowed 6 months from now. We waited until the last possible minute by booking in August - in fact my grandson will miss the first week of school.

I won't mind it if the cities are heaving with tourists. I've lived within a few miles of both Disney World and Disneyland and I'm used to throngs of foreign tourists, so this will be my opportunity to get even with them. :)

Dublin and Edinburgh were the main focus of our vacation. We hadn't even planned to set foot in London, but our rescheduled flight brought us there and we'll give it a cursory visit for the people in our group who've never seen it. York was just a "let's break up the long trip to Edinburgh" stop, and we considered Liverpool, but my daughter has friends in Manchester she'd like to visit.

Your country is rather tiny compared to Texas, but I have no illusions of trying to see everything in a couple of weeks. Good beers, a change of scenery, and two weeks with my daughter and grandchildren is more than enough to make for an enjoyable holiday.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st January 2021, 1:56 AM

Just canceled our flights in March and rescheduled for later in the year. Hopefully the lockdown will be over by then.

Here's our rough itinerary. It would be nice to have a few beers with some of you. You can meet my grandkids and my daughter's husband and his sister. He's distraught that he won't be able to carry a knife or gun (he's a cop).

August 2nd and 3rd - London
August 4th - York
August 5th and 6th -Edinburgh
August 7th and 8th - Lake District area
August 9th - Manchester
August 10th through the 13th - Dublin

Sounds like a great holiday DaButt and hope whenever it goes ahead it's a great time. London and Manchester are not far from me and I have a tonne of family in and around Manchester so would be nice to meet and have a beer and shoot some pool. I've also got family in Dublin but that's a bit further to travel although the plan is to visit Ireland when the covid threat is over because I've not visited for years. I used to go there every year on a family holiday and was beating people at pool in the local pubs when I was ten. During one trip across the west we stopped at a pub and I won so many pool games in a row the locals started betting on me to win.

Is carrying a knife standard issue for police there because I don't think British police carry a knife even firearms officers? Maybe rural places do for cutting ropes and that kind of thing in the wilderness. Makes me wonder if there are ways for a police officer to be able to legally bring their gun in to the country. I'm sure I remember an episode of an airline documentary and there was someone who works in law enforcement from abroad and they had packed their gun but had paperwork so it was permitted. It was unloaded and the ammunition was packed separately. I doubt they would be allowed to carry it in public unless they were working for a law enforcement agency here.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st January 2021, 7:18 PM

London and Manchester are not far from me and I have a tonne of family in and around Manchester so would be nice to meet and have a beer and shoot some pool.

I'm better at drinking beer than I am at shooting pool. My father was always pretty good at it, but I could probably beat him now that he's 84 and afflicted with dementia. :(

Let's try to have a few pints in 6 months!

Is carrying a knife standard issue for police there because I don't think British police carry a knife even firearms officers? Maybe rural places do for cutting ropes and that kind of thing in the wilderness.

I'd imagine that every cop and fireman carries a knife with a locking blade, but not as a weapon. They use them to cut clothes off injured patients and slice through seatbelts to free trapped victims. I don't think anything is standard issue, I think most cops buy and carry whatever they are comfortable with, as long as the department approves. Now that I think about it, I believe he was issued a short-barreled AR15-ish rifle and a shotgun. They also carry tasers and various baton-like devices for breaking windows and last-ditch defense.

I'm sure I remember an episode of an airline documentary and there was someone who works in law enforcement from abroad and they had packed their gun but had paperwork so it was permitted. It was unloaded and the ammunition was packed separately.

That's essentially how airlines allow people to fly with firearms here. I've done it a few times and it's no big deal. You can be assured that they'll never lose your luggage because the last thing they'd want is a gun on the loose inside a secure area.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st January 2021, 4:03 PM

Our economies can't take much more of this beating, so I remain guardedly optimistic that travel will be allowed 6 months from now.

That's what our Govt. is saying, Hancock has just said we should have a normal summer in six months, which of course means it won't be. For me, it depends on the vacs roll out, and whether they work against the new variants. I'd bring your masks if I were you.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st January 2021, 4:03 PM

York was just a "let's break up the long trip to Edinburgh" stop,

Ooh don't tell the locals that. Laughing out loud Have you met any Yorkshiremen yet? That in itself will be an adventure.

A lovely week ahead. Luckily I'd already booked it off work so I don't have to drive down treacherous Surrey roads to work.

Just been to the Dentist as I've had a toothache over the weekend. Long standing abcess problems and got the antibiotics and being referred for an extraction.

Then on Wednesday at 5pm - yes ridiculous time - got my Mum's funeral. Rush hour, cold, snow, dark. Lovely! Anyway she died on 11th January and it was a month before the cremation could take place. She was 92 so not really unexpected but she caught Covid.

Sorry to hear about your mum and please accept my sincere condolences.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th February 2021, 12:42 PM

.....................She was 92 so not really unexpected but she caught Covid.

Life can be really shit sometimes, bloody virus - my sincere condolences Dave.

Sorry to hear about your mother, Chappers. I hope you and your family are doing ok.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 8th February 2021, 3:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your mum and please accept my sincere condolences.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th February 2021, 3:38 PM

Life can be really shit sometimes, bloody virus - my sincere condolences Dave.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th February 2021, 5:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your mother, Chappers. I hope you and your family are doing ok.

Thanks to you all.

As I say she was 92 and also had Dementia.