I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,092

So Jeremy now WANTS an election? Very strange and if it happens before 31 Oct, just what Boris wanted?

So who is the loser?

There are some Labour MPs whom one is simply not allowed to criticise - despite their manifest uselessness and, in some cases, blatant criminality - but I think I'm fairly safe in saying that the Tories will remain in power as long as the current crop of Labour politicians remains substantially unchanged.

Boris may be unpopular with many voters but in terms of likeability (or loathability), he's more likeable (or less loathable) than any of the Tories likely to replace him.

Boris and the Tories may be a million miles from ideal but they are perhaps just a little less dreadful than any of the alternatives.

To BillWill's post -
He wanted one before - just not on Boris's terms.
Bj is now a proven liar (by the Supreme Court no less) - can't be trusted not to break the law on no-deal.
We'll get an election - late November I reckon.

Greta Thunberg, 16-year-old Nordic poster-girl for the environmentalist movement, gives Donald Trump the evil eye as he enters the United Nations in New York.

Don't you wish you were 16 again - when you knew and understood absolutely everything?

I certainly do! Laughing out loud

A very bad day for democracy and a very dangerous precedent when a panel of 11 people, possibly with vested interests, and representing an institution that has only been in existence for 10 years, can override the procedure of the centuries-old Parliament, and the decision of the Head of State, on a whim.

And I am not talking about the current squabble or even Brexit. Mark this date down as the first shots in the revolution in which the Judiciary effectively takes over control of all law making from the democratically elected legislature. And in which any vociferous pressure group can expect to be successful in having any Parliamentary decision, with which they disagree, overturned.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th September 2019, 11:32 AM

Bring on the Bercow!

Indeed. He is my hero.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th September 2019, 11:43 AM

11 - 0. That's quite a trouncing Boris got.

Yes. There IS a God. :D

There is much wisdom in Billy's post above.

I remember Paul Burrell's conversation with the Queen in which she told him there were very powerful people in Britain about whom even she knows nothing (apart from their existence).

I've also heard it suggested that the entire world is controlled by about a dozen people about whom the public know nothing.

Conspiracy theory? Possibly, but I have to say I detect a ring of truth in it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th September 2019, 12:53 PM

A very bad day for democracy and a very dangerous precedent when a panel of 11 people, possibly with vested interests, and representing an institution that has only been in existence for 10 years, can override the procedure of the centuries-old Parliament, and the decision of the Head of State, on a whim.

And I am not talking about the current squabble or even Brexit. Mark this date down as the first shots in the revolution in which the Judiciary effectively takes over control of all law making from the democratically elected legislature. And in which any vociferous pressure group can expect to be successful in having any Parliamentary decision, with which they disagree, overturned.

But the whole point of the illegal shutting down of parliament was to STOP the "centuries old parliament" making any decisions. That was the judgement.
You appear to be asking for a Head-of-State who is above the law, and above the democratically elected parliament?
Still, at least the trains will run on time.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th September 2019, 12:32 PM

To BillWill's post -
He wanted one before - just not on Boris's terms.
Bj is now a proven liar (by the Supreme Court no less) - can't be trusted not to break the law on no-deal.
We'll get an election - late November I reckon.

It's a Pyrrhic victory for the remainers.
~~~~

I think Jeremy will now find it very very hard to deny having an urgent (pre 31 Oct) election and Labour will lose. The LEAVErs will still vote for Boris' despite the court decision and so Labour will be definitely OUT for another 5 ( is that the figure) years.

Bringing back parliament tomorrow will achieve nothing, just the same old jabber that we've heard for the last two years, (since the last election).

If as you think, Boris can't be trusted to obey the law then we leave by default on the 31 Oct with no deal, so an election in November will not prevent Brexit. And if so we can expect an appeal to whom: ? The UK Supreme Court, Or to the ECJ ??

Once out with the typical no-deal problems raised (and initial solutions found) I doubt that the EU would want to reverse the Brexit process and go though that again.

Errr

Not sure that's how it'll play out - don't think the Labour MP's will allow him to take that risk (though I can Imagine him trying, as he is, after all, a Brexiteer at heart). I think there will be an extension - then an election, then a hung parliament.
then a 2nd Ref, I reckon. Could easily be wrong, as it's all a bit of a shit-show.

I see the bookmaker's dead cert is Johnson being the shortest lived PM ever odds of 5:6. But a second referendum is still 1:100 . Revoking article 50 is now only 1:2 so they're backing Jo Swinson, lets be honest Boris and Corbyn seem to appeal to the extremists, and most of us aren't. Aren't a lot of Comedians Lib Demmers, most of Monty Python, Giles Brandreth, Freud etc.. etc.. John Cleese for PM anyone ?

Quote: Firkin @ 24th September 2019, 2:38 PM

I see the bookmaker's dead cert is Johnson being the shortest lived PM ever odds of 5:6. But a second referendum is still 1:100 . Revoking article 50 is now only 1:2 so they're backing Jo Swinson, lets be honest Boris and Corbyn seem to appeal to the extremists, and most of us aren't. Aren't a lot of Comedians Lib Demmers, most of Monty Python, Giles Brandreth, Freud etc.. etc.. John Cleese for PM anyone ?

Why not? Even an orangatang would be an improvement on the one we've got (and you wouldn't notice any visible difference).

Quote: Firkin @ 24th September 2019, 2:38 PM

I see the bookmaker's dead cert is Johnson being the shortest lived PM ever odds of 5:6. But a second referendum is still 1:100 .

The odds against a second referendum in 2019 are indeed 1/100 which means the bookies would be very surprised if such a thing were to happen.

The odds against a second referendum in 2020 are around 7/2 which means the bookies wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened - although they still think it's significantly more likely not to happen.

As for Boris, the odds with regard to his departing from Downing Street before 20th of November are indeed a shade of odds-on which means the bookies feel it's a little more likely to happen than not.

But think of it this way: if you were to cut a pack of cards at random, your chances of drawing a card higher than a 7 would be a similar shade of odds-on which means you've got slightly more chance of drawing such a card than of not doing so.

Would you stake your life on such a bet?

I know I wouldn't.

As far as Downing Street is concerned, Boris might well be a goner very soon - but I wouldn't stake my life on that either. Laughing out loud

Quote: Briosaid @ 24th September 2019, 3:05 PM

Even an orangutan would be an improvement on the one we've got (and you wouldn't notice any visible difference).

Could this be a future Prime Minister of Great Britain?

You never know.

One thing's for sure - we could do a lot worse. Laughing out loud

Well Terry thinks/thought they make good Librarians.