BCG Only Connect Page 10

Maybe a typo for phono. I'm going to have to work on a real ball breaker incase I ever get a go. Which will probably be never.

Yers............. the "o" instead of "e" makes helluva difference! If that is what happened? But where does the tapper come into it?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th May 2019, 11:57 PM

It's late and I'm v. tired.............

Stylus - Phone Tapper?

Never used a stylus to tap your phone screen instead of your finger?

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 8th May 2019, 4:36 AM

Never used a stylus to tap your phone screen instead of your finger?

Here we go Laughing out loud...............................WHAT screen? WHAT phone? I think I know what you are on about and fair enough if that is the case, BUT I am one of those people that DO NOT (thank God) have a i-phone (is it?)

Yeah I know, how the hell do I manage?

Walked into the doctor's surgery last week and nearly everyone was jabbing a finger at some device. I had to smile, as I got out my cryptic crossword.

("Oh, I must check this, I must check that, I wonder if anyone's texted me? I must just check"...........................Pathetic)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th May 2019, 7:12 AM

Here we go Laughing out loud...............................WHAT screen? WHAT phone? I think I know what you are on about and fair enough if that is the case, BUT I am one of those people that DO NOT (thank God) have a i-phone (is it?)

Yeah I know, how the hell do I manage?

Walked into the doctor's surgery last week and nearly everyone was jabbing a finger at some device. I had to smile, as I got out my cryptic crossword.

("Oh, I must check this, I must check that, I wonder if anyone's texted me? I must just check"...........................Pathetic)

But...you DO know what a stylus is...and you do know that some people use them to tap their screens to open apps and type texts. I have never been to Germany, but I would still be able to answer a question that led me to it as an answer. I have never trimmed my front bush into the shape of a chicken, but I would still be able to answer a question to which the answer is topiary.

I check the BCG forum using my iPhone. Is that okay. :-)

I'm not criticising your clues (although Tarbs wondered whether "Phone" was a typo) and no, "and you do know that some people use them to tap their screens to open apps" I didn't.

What I was pointing out (not at you. I daren't - I'm still simmering over you calling me a sexist bastard) was the assumption these days that EVERYONE has a mobile phone. I've even had a web site that would not let me proceed without I gave them my mobile number (non - optional, and a land line number does not work) so had to make one up!

Insane!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th May 2019, 10:04 AM

I'm not criticising your clues (although Tarbs wondered whether "Phone" was a typo) and no, "and you do know that some people use them to tap their screens to open apps" I didn't.

What I was pointing out (not at you. I daren't - I'm still simmering over you calling me a sexist bastard) was the assumption these days that EVERYONE has a mobile phone. I've even had a web site that would not let me proceed without I gave them my mobile number (non - optional, and a land line number does not work) so had to make one up!

Insane!!

The sexist bastard comment was tongue in cheek. It ran on from other similar posts that were floating about at the time. I know plenty of people who don't own a mobile phone. My elderly neighbour's son bought her one. He set it up for her...and it has sat in her kitchen drawer ever since...over a year. "If anyone wants me, they can ring my proper phone," she says. Also..."I want real buttons to press, not pretend ones."

I never put my phone numbers in. I do what you do...put a made up one in. Usually, the site only checks for the right number of digits. Same with postcode, where they just want your general location. I use one near me, but not mine. Or...I just click off the site and mutter...nah...ya stalky bastards.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 8th May 2019, 10:27 AM

The sexist bastard comment was tongue in cheek.

That's where emoticons come into their own - should be used to avoid confusion. A PM from me to "someone else" confirmed the possibility of a reproof

Also..."I want real buttons to press, not pretend ones."

Surprised she didn't want one with a dial.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th May 2019, 11:22 AM

To confirm, I don't think you're sexist or a bastard. I don't always use emoticons where others might find them useful, that's true...and feel free to call me out on all future insults you're not sure about. I'm really not that horrible. :-)

With regard to the buttons...I know exactly how my neighbour feels. I'm always tapping the wrong thing and not knowing if I've selected the right button and ended up phoning people I don't want to phone...and the odd stranger I don't even know. I had buttons on my phones for years before I finally gave in and got a piddly little iPhone. I gave in. I am weak.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 7th May 2019, 11:10 PM

Stylus
Motor

Poking a screen with a stick sound positively stone aged. Calling a stick a stylus, is that for those folk too posh to poke ? I'm off to Cheshire to sell overprices tooth picks down pret a manger. We had a long poky stick, I means stylus, before they invented remote control TV's. Stylus would be a good name for a bond villain. I guess what I'm saying is, we need another question (pokes Herc with a stylus).

Quote: Firkin @ 8th May 2019, 2:30 PM

Poking a screen with a stick sound positively stone aged. Calling a stick a stylus, is that for those folk too posh to poke ? I'm off to Cheshire to sell overprices tooth picks down pret a manger. We had a long poky stick, I means stylus, before they invented remote control TV's. Stylus would be a good name for a bond villain. I guess what I'm saying is, we need another question (pokes Herc with a stylus).

Yes, before remote controls we had a long stick to change TV channels, but it broke in half so I then used the sharp end to poke my wife into getting up to change the channel, which was good really as nothing was lost in my quest for couch potatoery.

Anyway, before I too get one up the bum, here's one I never pitched to the OC editors as I felt it didn't quite come up to scratch and I think it cannot be Googled....................

2½p

I think it's probably impossible to come up with the correct connection immediately after seeing the first clue - unless of course one makes an exceedingly lucky guess.

Having said that, immediately upon seeing the first clue I thought "Coronation Street" but it would be something of a turn up for the book if I were right.

On that basis, may we have a second clue?

OK, but have now got to get din-dins for my wife...........

2½p

5p

Yes, Corrie would be a good guess, considering the alternative name for a sixpence. It can't be Tommy Steele, because his film was Half a Sixpence, which would be 1.25p. If it's Sixpence None the Richer...well...I don't know.

Off topic...'cos I have that sort of brain...my fave old coin has always been the florin/two shillings, which we continued to use as ten pences for ages after the decimal changeover...along with the old shillings for five pences. I was born at the time of the changeover, so never used them as the coins they were minted as. Fave florin is the one with the Tudor Rose in the middle and flowers growing out to the edge...if that makes sense.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th May 2019, 4:25 PM

2½p

5p

That doesn't help, I'm afraid. :(