Things that piss you off Page 1,713

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd April 2017, 5:00 PM

I've often wondered about the UK's toilets with cisterns set up high on the wall. Why not just use the typical compact toilet like we have in the States and most of the rest of the world? Is it just an old timey thing?

We have 3 toilets here (a bugger for cleaning) and not one of them is set high on the wall - that's really antique! In fact you can't even see one of the cisterns as it's set through into the garage to save space in a small toilet. Even when we moved in here 40 odd years ago, though it was an old house (1907) there were no such high cisterns remaining.

Quote: keewik @ 22nd April 2017, 6:31 PM

We have 3 toilets here (a bugger for cleaning) and not one of them is set high on the wall - that's really antique! In fact you can't even see one of the cisterns as it's set through into the garage to save space in a small toilet. Even when we moved in here 40 odd years ago, though it was an old house (1907) there were no such high cisterns remaining.

Because I was born in a soft water area, I didn't even know cleaning the inside of a cistern was a thing (I've also had no need to clean inside of kettle) . . . but now, I have checked my tank for goblins and it's cleaner and free-er of crud than a crud free clean thing - wish I could do the same with my own inner gubbins.

More shite on TV about how wonderful the queen (won't dignify with a capital) is for her age. She bloody should be. Bet there's nobody else in the country who's been pandered to and mollycoddled for most of her life. No doubt if she sneezed there would be ten top notch doctors analysing it. Who gave the go-ahead for the 2 wee boys to be paraded in public at church when they'd just been told their mother had been killed? Child cruelty. She hasn't a clue about normal humanity. Bloody alien.

Quote: keewik @ 22nd April 2017, 11:04 PM

She hasn't a clue about normal humanity. Bloody alien.

She seems nice enough to me. Can't say that I've ever seen her post angry rants on a comedy message board...

Quote: DaButt @ 22nd April 2017, 11:22 PM

She seems nice enough to me. Can't say that I've ever seen her post angry rants on a comedy message board...

That's because she isn't human.

Ilie Nastase - podgy, repulsive, old man. Some of these women should have given him a good, hard kick in the bollocks.

Two times instead of twice.
Not big in the scheme of things but it really annoys me.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 23rd April 2017, 3:06 AM

Two times instead of twice.
Not big in the scheme of things but it really annoys me.

When I worked in a factory in Israel, my boss was a charming Yemenite Jew who used to tell me: "Every day, you have to check these chemical levels two times, or at least twice." Happy days.

Folk who say "'a.m.' in the morning." Any time from 12.01am to 11.59am IS the morning.

Later in the day has afternoon, evening and night, but 'a.m.' is always the morning so you don't need to say it. It's like people who refer to the codes to their cash cards as 'P.I.N. numbers' . . . everyone knows that P.I.N. stands for 'personal identification number', so why refer to it as a 'personal identification number number'?!

Teary

Quote: fopdoodle @ 23rd April 2017, 6:48 AM

, so why refer to it as a 'personal identification number number'?!

I often hear that sort of needless tautology at the ATM machine.

However, occasional redundancy in spoken English ought not be frowned upon too sternly:
"I'd forgotten my pin, so my trousers fell down outside the bank, but at least I could remember my PIN number."
In that spoken example, the redundancy eliminates potential ambiguity.

Nevertheless, I respectfully admire the honest truth of your cognizant awareness of RAS Syndrome. You win a free gift of a reindeer, a tuna fish and a bouquet of flowers (all foreign imports).

This is spooky . . . just on subject of ATMs . . . one just round corner from me just took my card because I couldn't grip it adequately to get it back out, on a SUNDAY!

It did say machine was out of use afterwards so I hope it won't spit it back out for someone else, but have noticed that some ATMs recently only allow you less than a centimetre to grab the thing so you have to have sticky fingers.

Note to self for future . . . never use an ATM on a Sunday, and I will still never use an ATM at any time without a bank attached.

If an ATM in a public zone (not attached to the wall of a bank) seems to be offering less card, it might have had a skimmer and a micro-camera attached. Before using any ATM, give a good tug on the insert point, the number pad, the number pad cover and any other fitting. I've pulled off a few skimmers and damaged a few legit ATMs.

Fortunately, this is attached to a major bank branch. There must have been loads of people with same issue as I have tiny fingers, but still couldn't get it out! It's a mechanical problem, so hopefully they can resolve when I turn up first thing in morning, even if protocol means they need to destroy so I have to order new one.

I got wise to a few skimmers in London, and even advised people behind me not to use as were quite crude and obvious.

I never thought about that before. With some you do have to get a good grip with only a little bit showing.
And it would be timed to take them back in, in case you forgot the card and walked off. (Which I imagine happens a lot)

Extreme religion and people who go on television to talk about it. Seeing cows as sacred/not eating pork is a personal choice for whatever reason (embedded in historic tradition etc.) as far as I'm concerned, but denying the holocaust?

Even atheism is okay because these sceptics just need proof (my Father was one, but I would describe myself as agnostic, as I just believe in being a decent human being and 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you') provided they don't bang on about it, but believing in nonsense is scary so should be kept to oneself as one's beliefs generally should always be a personal thing without feeling the need to impose onto others.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 30th April 2017, 11:01 AM

... provided they don't bang on about it ... as one's beliefs generally should always be a personal thing without feeling the need to impose onto others.

How about your belief that Trump is bad news?

Check and mate. And now let's play Connect 4.