Newsjack 2016 Page 11

Congrats to Wifington and Andy!

Nothing for us this week, onwards to next week! :)

"Tried writing here (newsjack) a few times on the odd chance and always got the 'cut before air' email"

You are doing very well to get that. Genuinely.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 18th February 2016, 11:42 PM GMT

I too got the "you are not quite funny enough to be on late night radio 4 extra" e-mail. Edited before broadcast. I wish they'd tell you what they almost used rather than just a "Better luck next week" letter

The production team are usually very nice and if you ask them they'll usually tell you what got cut. Might take a while as they're usually snowed under but worth following up.

Quote: Dodoa64 @ 19th February 2016, 1:47 AM GMT

Hello to all, new here.
Tried writing here (newsjack) a few times on the odd chance and always got the 'cut before air' email. If that isn't a sign of - not good enough - I don't know.
My question - if I have one (shh,I do)or more ideas, should I send them in or kill everyone who finds them unfunny?

I only ask because my knife is getting blunt.

sad one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

David

As said before getting the cut e-mail means you're in a very small % at the top, that's a good sign, keep going. It can often be something really minor that stops you going that final step.

Oh and if one of the two options is 'kill everyone' I recommend going for the other one.

Quote: Dodoa64 @ 19th February 2016, 1:47 AM GMT

Hello to all, new here.
Tried writing here (newsjack) a few times on the odd chance and always got the 'cut before air' email. If that isn't a sign of - not good enough - I don't know.
My question - if I have one (shh,I do)or more ideas, should I send them in or kill everyone who finds them unfunny?

I only ask because my knife is getting blunt.

sad one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

David

How will you be accepted without the Newsjack producers?

Great episode.Well done everyone.
I didn't realise Fidel Castro still ran Cuba. What happened to Raul?!

Hi all

New to the forum and sketch/comedy writing; but I'm going to have a go at submitting something this week. Errr

Can I ask, as some people mentioned they have been to the recordings: what are the audience like?

Young/old? Mostly men or mostly women? Professionals, office worker types? Students? How diverse are they? I'm guessing they are a 'London'type crowd...?

Do you, for example, think they've been to the pub first? What's their mood like before the show starts?

I managed to get tickets to the previous two weeks and the upcoming show. It's a big mix actually - there's a moderately-sized chunk of people who are clearly retired that turn up because tickets are free - they arrive hours before and sit at the front; then it's mostly young professional types with a few older (40-50) people. Male/female is 50/50 I'd say, 55/45 at worst. There's not much time to go to the pub between getting your ticket validated and them closing the admissions, though there is a bar within the BBC cafe from which to sup a drink or two.

Like a few on here I only found about this show at the beginning of the last season and managed to get a something in successive shows... nothing this season though, evidently instant success is not representative of what's actually like as a purveyor of lols.

I'd recommend going though, it's very good research!

Nothing for me this week. Well done those who got on or got the nearly email.

Quote: Eustace H Plimsoll @ 19th February 2016, 3:07 PM GMT

I managed to get tickets to the previous two weeks and the upcoming show. It's a big mix actually - there's a moderately-sized chunk of people who are clearly retired that turn up because tickets are free - they arrive hours before and sit at the front; then it's mostly young professional types with a few older (40-50) people. Male/female is 50/50 I'd say, 55/45 at worst. There's not much time to go to the pub between getting your ticket validated and them closing the admissions, though there is a bar within the BBC cafe from which to sup a drink or two.

Like a few on here I only found about this show at the beginning of the last season and managed to get a something in successive shows... nothing this season though, evidently instant success is not representative of what's actually like as a purveyor of lols.

I'd recommend going though, it's very good research!

Thanks so much Hug all good info. I only heard of the show this week, went to get tickets to check it out, but it was fully booked right the way to the end of the series.

As I say, this is my first attempt at writing comedy, but it's helpful to know the sort of people your trying to make laugh... I think...!

Thanks again

Quote: Bluemeany @ 19th February 2016, 5:41 PM GMT

As I say, this is my first attempt at writing comedy, but it's helpful to know the sort of people your trying to make laugh... I think...!

Thanks again

Forty, fifty and sixty somethings who write comedy, I'm afraid. Welcome to the site, Blue.

Just sent off 2 sketches and 1 advert!

Good luck everyone!

J x

Good luck everyone! Wonder how many EU-related sketches they'll get this week...

Sent off 2 sketches Sony using a fax machines & Volvo recall.

Good luck all

Wasn't going to get a sketch in then had a last minute idea so rushed it out this morning. Hopefully will have a few oneliners for tomorrow. Good luck everyone. It's nice to think one of us might get something in!

Sent one on the Bond car sale and one on Shia LaBeouf's art installation. I'm guessing a lot of people have written on the same subjects as me.