Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 13

I would hope that Granville is given a bit of Granville back. It seemed like he was a mishmash of himself and Arkwright and it didn't feel right for some reason. I did wonder whether they tried to cram as much of the old show in as they could at Christmas because they didn't know if it would get a chance of doing a full series.

There is definitely a place for a series because you have to try and cater for everyone. There's no Last of the Summer Wine anymore so this will appeal a large number of people...of a certain age. :)

A little surprising, I felt if nothing else it proved that Ronnie Barker was the element that made he original watchable. Over 9 million tuned in at Christmas but I wonder how many did out of curiosity, and how many will want to watch more.

Personally, I would rather have seen them resurrect The Good Life, as I would have loved to find out what happened to Tom and Barbara, but I guess that's never going to happen now.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 3rd February 2014, 8:13 PM GMT

It's utterly awful news! Haven't we moved on from Ronnie Barker style humour?

Tim Azure,

c/o Ivor Biggun,
2, The Titties,
Cock Fosters,
Berks.

Nice

I sincerely hope not.

There was a strong movement to change it, yes. It gave us a Blackadder and a Young Ones and Bottom, AbFab probably, but look where it's now led us: Selling sitcom's soul to standups just to fill in air time. No, let OAH back, let OFAH back, get the lot back in if it saves us from this modern shite. Cos it ain't that hot mum. :(

The first time I watched Still Open All Hours, I didn't fully like it, but now I've watched it a few times on my Freeview+ box, I really, really like it!

It just seemed to grow on me. I'd love it if it turned in to a full series. :)

Quote: Fazza @ 23rd February 2014, 7:01 PM GMT

I'd love it if it turned in to a full series. :)

It is!

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd February 2014, 7:16 PM GMT

It is!

Really?! That's great news! I can't believe I didn't know that! I guess I should hang around here a bit more often.

That's made my day, can't wait to see it.

:D

Quote: Fazza @ 23rd February 2014, 7:34 PM GMT

That's made my day, can't wait to see it.

Whereas I can't wait to see the back of it!

I'll surely watch it.

Well last night I was lucky enough to have tickets to be in the studio audience of Still Open All Hours. Had a very entertaining evening watching the third episode of the sitcom being recorded. The new series, like the Christmas special, still has much of the charm we all would expect and promises to be a very warm and charming sitcom. Mrs Featherstone (Stephanie Cole) had a bit of a slip up when she called Leroy Granville by mistake! Felt like I was being transported back to the golden age of 70s sitcoms, Ronnie Barker was definitely there in spirit. Not sure when it is due to air, but guess after Christmas and in the New Year?

Yes, that's when we're expecting it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

Quote: Aaron @ 25th October 2014, 10:10 PM BST

Yes, that's when we're expecting it. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

I lost the order of events on this one. Didn't David Jason say shortly after the Christmas show that a new series wasn't going to happen after all? Now it is happening and all to the good but I am a bit surprised.

I like him enormously but there always seems to be a mystery with him. It still isn't clear to me what the position is now with A Sharp Intake of Breath. My understanding was that he didn't want it to be repeated.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th October 2014, 12:47 AM BST

I lost the order of events on this one. Didn't David Jason say shortly after the Christmas show that a new series wasn't going to happen after all? Now it is happening and all to the good but I am a bit surprised.

They said there wouldn't be a new series of OFAH, but the series commission of Still Open All Hours was publicly confirmed on 30th January.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 26th October 2014, 12:47 AM BST

I like him enormously but there always seems to be a mystery with him. It still isn't clear to me what the position is now with A Sharp Intake of Breath. My understanding was that he didn't want it to be repeated.

That was indeed reported to be the case of all of his early series. However, they've started coming out on DVD now, so it's evidently not the case at the present time.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th October 2014, 9:46 AM GMT

They said there wouldn't be a new series of OFAH, but the series commission of Still Open All Hours was publicly confirmed on 30th January.

That was indeed reported to be the case of all of his early series. However, they've started coming out on DVD now, so it's evidently not the case at the present time.

Thanks, Aaron, for that clarification. :)