Scriptwriting? Why bother. Page 6

I wasn't wearing one at that time!

Utter filth!

Aaa ah yes :)

My experience of aspiring comedy writers over the years is that many of them feel they have a God given right to succeed. Sure, you need some confidence in your talents or there's no point putting pen to paper.

However, much like the rejected acts on The X Factor, they can't accept it when they don't make it. This is when accusations of Oxbridge et al are flung around aimlessly.

I had a go at writing comedy for about five years and got nowhere. Maybe I'm being deluded, but I felt a few things I wrote were fantastic. I also accept that I wrote a load of twaddle. My main problems were consistency and not being able to work to briefs. I certainly don't blame anyone but myself.

Quote: Ben @ 23rd August 2014, 11:06 PM BST

My main problems were consistency and not being able to work to briefs.

I've been thinking about this whilst out at a gig tonight. I was thinking of how TV & radio shows are short term, intense professional relationships. I was thinking about how if I was asked to book a gig with relatively high stakes, I would use a venue, engineers and probably performers I had worked with before - not because they're necessarily better than anyone else in the world, but because I knew I could trust them t deliver consistently. I think every professional books people for short terms contracts like this.

And, you know, I'd imagine that young producers and commissioners or whatever maybe think of people they've worked with in Footlights or whatever. SO to solve the problem of a preponderance of Oxbridge writers and performers in comedy, you'd have to ask why a lot of executives, producers and commissioners come from Oxbridge. And that's not quite the same issue.

More important a this moment, though, is whether Yazz, fine though she might be, belongs on this TOTP2 disco special I'm watching...

Quote: Marc P @ 23rd August 2014, 5:58 PM BST

I see your Manchester and raise you a Ricky Gervais.

Mornington Crescent!

I don't think anyone suggested they would just see who went to Oxbridge without going through the comedy societies.

But I fail to see why you think that isn't Oxb influence. Of course it is, the Bullingdon Club provides members of the Tory party, Footlights provides comedians for TV and radio. If the elite system didn't work, there wouldn't be these clubs and unis.

Quote: gappy @ 23rd August 2014, 5:44 PM BST

I might be simple-minded, but I doubt producers think "God, I can't be arsed to read this big pile, let's see whether any of them went to Balliol and give them the gig".

Now, they might think "God, I can't be arsed to read this big pile, let's see whether Robert Webb or Chris Moyle want to do a show, it'll be much quicker and easier to sell", but that's a different case.

Just how is that a different case with regard to Oxb influence? I'm curious.

Quote: billwill @ 24th August 2014, 2:49 AM BST

Mornington Crescent!

Another dead end! :D

Quote: gappy @ 23rd August 2014, 11:42 PM BST

I've been thinking about this whilst out at a gig tonight. I was thinking of how TV & radio shows are short term, intense professional relationships. I was thinking about how if I was asked to book a gig with relatively high stakes, I would use a venue, engineers and probably performers I had worked with before - not because they're necessarily better than anyone else in the world, but because I knew I could trust them t deliver consistently. I think every professional books people for short terms contracts like this.

And, you know, I'd imagine that young producers and commissioners or whatever maybe think of people they've worked with in Footlights or whatever. SO to solve the problem of a preponderance of Oxbridge writers and performers in comedy, you'd have to ask why a lot of executives, producers and commissioners come from Oxbridge. And that's not quite the same issue.

More important a this moment, though, is whether Yazz, fine though she might be, belongs on this TOTP2 disco special I'm watching...

The only way is up Gappy

Quote: gappy @ 23rd August 2014, 11:42 PM BST

Sorry Gappy, not picking on you, but that IS the same issue. That's the whole elitist ed. system at work, grads come out of top unis to be hired by alumni who wanted to do the management and technical side of things at the big broadcasting company and of course enjoy nice corporate lunches.

They hire the grads who chose to be the performers. Do you not see the simple logic in that or did it pass you by that's what many students go to Oxbridge for? (if not yourself). Same rule applies to industry, banking, law, politics etc. Morning BTW.

There's plenty of none grads, never mind not only none Oxbridge types.

Some started in local radio, some at Edinburgh or on the open mic circuit.

They all worked hard and were driven.

Statistically it just doesn't add up.

Nice Corporate lunches. Lmfao.. You have clearly never been anywhere near a TV company Kipper. Mind you...you wouldn't believe the pipe smoking and waitress fondling that goes on in the green rooms. And that's just the lesbians. Pingo Patterson once took me down to the snooker rooms with the boy Smythe and I haven't been able to chalk my tip since without a nostalgic wince. And oh my! Past the preprandial stiffeners - Aunties Club Sandwich!! Ouch Matron please may I have more?!

Quote: Marc P @ 24th August 2014, 9:50 AM BST

Nice Corporate lunches. Lmfao.. You have clearly never been anywhere near a TV company Kipper. Mind you...you wouldn't believe the pipe smoking and waitress fondling that goes on in the green rooms. And that's just the lesbians. Pingo Patterson once took me down to the snooker rooms with the boy Smythe and I haven't been able to chalk my tip since without a nostalgic wince. And oh my! Past the preprandial stiffeners - Aunties Club Sandwich!! Ouch Matron please may I have more?!

At last, marc's dialogue matches his avatar!

:)

Quote: Marc P @ 24th August 2014, 9:50 AM BST

Marc, I have a young relative who works for a TV co. His job is basically taking clients to The Ivy at 500 quid a go. It may not be your world but for some others in the industry it is.

Another relative worked in banking, her job was booking clients into the Dorchester then going to lunch with them. If all this has passed you by then perhaps you chose the wrong career. Morning.