One Foot In The Grave Page 7

Watched the Trial episode for the first time in a while the other day and the Yukka plant in the toilet had me in tears.

Does it need more set up than the Del clips-the bar or the chandelier?

Can actually relate to the character as the older I get the more I find myself turning into a Victor Meldrew type. Teary

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd August 2014, 6:10 PM BST

Can actually relate to the character as the older I get the more I find myself turning into a Victor Meldrew type. Teary

It's not us that's changing. It's the world.

I wonder what's wrong about this Yukka joke is we don't see the person who put the tree in the loo. Do they have special needs? Maybe they are evil and this is their revenge? We just don't know.

Least with the chandelier and the bar it's Del's/Grandad's fault.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd August 2014, 6:10 PM BST

I'm saying nothing! ;) :). Seriously though a brilliant comedy and definitely in my top list.

Quote: Marc P @ 23rd August 2014, 3:12 PM BST

I'm saying nothing! ;) :). Seriously though a brilliant comedy and definitely in my top list.

I know what you were thinking though:-

Curmudgeonly old fart. Laughing out loud

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 23rd August 2014, 7:08 AM BST

I wonder what's wrong about this Yukka joke is we don't see the person who put the tree in the loo. Do they have special needs? Maybe they are evil and this is their revenge? We just don't know.

Haven't seen this episode for a while but there was a reason for it being there.

Didn't Victor say something like "Just put it in the loo" expecting something else?

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd August 2014, 7:37 PM BST

Haven't seen this episode for a while but there was a reason for it being there.

Didn't Victor say something like "Just put it in the loo" expecting something else?

Well I was under the impression that Yucca was delivered (as would be norm.) in some sort of planter and when he said put it in the loo he meant stand it in there (in that room) but the delivery person thought he meant re-pot it IN the loo, hence it being in the pan.

Definitely.

Just saw one on Yesterday which I'd never seen before.

The Chinese brothel below the Restaurant and the Bird Shit painting.

Poor Dachsund.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd August 2014, 7:37 PM BST

It's explainable, but not instantly. The dachshund joke is funnier!

I discovered this yesterday and it's a great listen - it's only available for the next 21 hours: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068hyw4

Doreen Mantle (who portrayed Margaret's friend, Mrs Warboys) narrates a celebration of OFITG. It's well worth a listen and there's loads of insight included in there including quite a bit about how David Renwick wrote it.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 23rd August 2014, 7:08 AM BST

That's the mystery with a lot of the elements of the show that I love, which David Renwick does on purpose. This goes on right until the very end with Margaret possibly doing something rather dark to her friend who ran Victor over.

As I remember they called out to the delivery man to put it in the toilet which you would say but that person just took things too literally - which is how a lot of Renwick's gags work.

One Foot In The Grave is in my top five of sitcoms... it was consistently brilliant throughout the entire series and the standard didn't drop with the Christmas specials either.
It is a masterpiece of a sitcom... about five years ago I bought the box set and when I was ill with flu and I watched it all the way through over a period of 3 days. It's a series that I could never get bored of and I have watched it countless times.
I could not name a favourite episode as there are so so many classics. It is a work of genius in my opinion...