One Foot In The Grave Page 4

One of the best comedies of all time. I liked Victor's on-going feud with Patrick Trench.

Quote: John M @ August 17 2009, 6:07 PM BST

One of the best comedies of all time. I liked Victor's on-going feud with Patrick Trench.

I liked everything about it!

Just found out John Cater died in March, who was in episode [i]Return Of The Speckled Band] as Mr Berenger, the gentleman Victor wheels around garden centre in wheelchair without realising he is able-bodied. Also featured in Lorraine Chase comedy The Other 'Arf according to IMDb, and a few episodes of 2point4 Children I think.

Bought the complete DVD collection of this the other week and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't think it's possible to praise David Renwick's writing and plotting high enough - it's a genius comedy of misunderstandings.

One interesting point I noted was that I felt series one was very different to the series that followed - it seemed much more like a traditional sitcom. The darker and more surreal elements gave it an identity of its own and made it much more enjoyable for me.

Not sure if I have a favourite series as they all have moments which make me laugh out loud, but any scene featuring Patrick and Victor is heaven for me.

My one complaint about the series is that the set for Patrick and Pippa's second house looks terrible. That's small criticism though.

Richard Wilson only reads non-fiction (Frank Skinner 9/4/2011).

Quote: Ben @ April 11 2011, 7:53 PM BST

Bought the complete DVD collection of this the other week and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't think it's possible to praise David Renwick's writing and plotting high enough - it's a genius comedy of misunderstandings.

One interesting point I noted was that I felt series one was very different to the series that followed - it seemed much more like a traditional sitcom. The darker and more surreal elements gave it an identity of its own and made it much more enjoyable for me.

Not sure if I have a favourite series as they all have moments which make me laugh out loud, but any scene featuring Patrick and Victor is heaven for me.

My one complaint about the series is that the set for Patrick and Pippa's second house looks terrible. That's small criticism though.

Victor finding the dead cat in his freezer was hardly traditional and that was series one. The show was surreal from the outset :)

Quote: peter gazzard @ April 12 2011, 11:50 AM BST

Victor finding the dead cat in his freezer was hardly traditional and that was series one. The show was surreal from the outset :)

I guess you're right, Peter, but there's definitely something different about the first series. Can't put my finger on it though.

Quote: Ben @ April 13 2011, 10:52 PM BST

I guess you're right, Peter, but there's definitely something different about the first series. Can't put my finger on it though.

It may have been the Meldrews living in a different house

I am sure I am not the only one that bought all of the series but did not get the Christmas specials for 1996 & 1997 (Christmas specials for other years were included).

I only found out these existed when reading a OFITG book - luckily I can buy a DVD with the Christmas specials for 1996 & 1997 very cheaply from Amazon.

I always felt the character of, Margaret, was too impatient and bad-tempered with Victor. She seemed to have little tolerance for his shenanigans, which made me feel sorry for him.

Love the interaction he has with his neighbours and random people who manage to infuriate him.

2nd best sitcom for me after Fawlty T.

Curiously, In Only When I Laugh, Richard Wilson plays a Doctor who has a dog called Victor.

I do think this is an excellent sitcom and deserves to be remembered as a classic but, for whatever reason, I think there is a lack of warmth to the show which stops me from really loving it. There are probably much less funny sitcoms that I actually prefer simply due to the affection that I have for the characters.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ May 16 2011, 10:47 AM BST

2nd best sitcom for me after Fawlty T.

Curiously, In Only When I Laugh, Richard Wilson plays a Doctor who has a dog called Victor.

Yeah I made that point in Only When I Laugh thread that Dr. Thorpe's dog is called Victor. Quite a coincidence.

Quote: Nick @ May 17 2011, 1:26 PM BST

I do think this is an excellent sitcom and deserves to be remembered as a classic but, for whatever reason, I think there is a lack of warmth to the show which stops me from really loving it. There are probably much less funny sitcoms that I actually prefer simply due to the affection that I have for the characters.

I've got great affection for Victor and Margaret. There's a lot of warmth between those two. And how can you not feel for Mr Swainey?

The episode with Jimmy Jewel when he spends his money on the dinosaurs is a terrific example of how tragicomic (made up word) it really was. Brilliantly handled by writer and cast.