One Foot In The Grave Page 5

Was watching Two Ronnies musical bit where they were dressed as miners and sang the Victor Meldrew mechanics song (with different lyrics obviously). Didn't realise it was a Welsh song, and David Renwick wrote for the Ronnies too.

It's a good sitcom, has elements of 2point4 Children scattered throughout, or 2point4 has elements of One Foot In The Grave.

All the silly situations and mental things.

One Foot is tops in my book! Only Fawlty Towers is 'topper'.

I sort of thought maybe they could have kept 'One Foot' going, turning Patrick and Pippa into the main charaters. Of course it would never have happened and would be like re-inventing the wheel I suppose. But it would probably still have been funny.

Only seen one series of 2.4 Children before - and that was recently. (I'm in NZ and wondered if it was never shown here - or maybe I was just doing something else at the time.) I thought it was quite good, but it had a bit much of an 'American sitcom' feel about it. Especially the end of the series. The traditional British sitcom has always been great without having to copy the American style, in my view.

Has David Renwick retired or is he still writing for TV? Does anyone know if he has written stage plays?

Quote: Steve Charlie @ July 7 2011, 8:22 AM BST

Has David Renwick retired or is he still writing for TV? Does anyone know if he has written stage plays?

No he hasn't retired. I don't think his Love Soup is returning, but Jonathan Creek probably will. According to the Wikipedia page they take a long time to produce.

When JC came back, he said in a Radio Times interview that he had two options as he saw it: retire or write Creek again. First one was good. Pity they made the second one - it was terrible.

What I like is the darkness of some of the subject matter is given this kind of English middle class twee-ness. But it does twee in a way that makes you feel as there is something a bit unpleasant underneath. YET the characters of Victor, Margaret are still very human in the end. I think I like the dead hedgehog bit the best in the whole thing.

Quote: Dave @ July 22 2011, 7:42 PM BST

When JC came back, he said in a Radio Times interview that he had two options as he saw it: retire or write Creek again. First one was good. Pity they made the second one - it was terrible.

What do you mean by 'second one'? I like all the Creek I've seen.

My favourite episode is One Foot in the Algarve.

Sorry for such an age old bump but . . .

Don't know if this has been remarked upon before.

I was watching We Have Put Her Living In The Tomb tonight on Gold when I noticed something.

When Margaret suspects that the tortoise is in the incinerator as she starts poking about she calls 'Richard!'

I've just checked the DVD and it's on there as well.

:)

Get out of town ....?!

Quote: lofthouse @ January 23 2012, 10:56 PM GMT

Get out of town ....?!

Eh?

I found ouT that there was an American remake of this called "Cosby" - starring (obviously) Bill Cosby.

Here is some stuff from Wikipedia...

Cosby is a situation comedy television series broadcast on CBS from September 16, 1996 to April 28, 2000, loosely based on the British sitcom "One Foot in the Grave". The program starred Bill Cosby, Phylicia Rashād (who previously worked with Cosby in the 1984-1992 sitcom The Cosby Show). Madeline Kahn portrayed their neighbor, Pauline, until her death in 1999.

David Renwick, creator and writer of "One foot in the Grave" was a consultant on the programme.

Quote: ToddB @ January 24 2012, 1:25 AM GMT

David Renwick, creator and writer of "One foot in the Grave" was a consultant on the programme.

I think 'a consultant' is a euphemism for 'originator who no longer writes the show'.

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 23 2012, 11:41 PM GMT

Eh?

What!!?

Ok let me translate, basically I meant iiiiiiiiii don't beleeeeeeeeeive it!

Laughing out loud Wave

Oh, right !

:D

But, 'tis true. I thought I'd misheard it but no.