One Foot In The Grave Page 8

Quote: EDER @ 8th December 2016, 6:43 PM

One Foot In The Grave is in my top five of sitcoms... it was consistently brilliant throughout the entire series and the standard didn't drop with the Christmas specials either.
It is a masterpiece of a sitcom... about five years ago I bought the box set and when I was ill with flu and I watched it all the way through over a period of 3 days. It's a series that I could never get bored of and I have watched it countless times.
I could not name a favourite episode as there are so so many classics. It is a work of genius in my opinion...

Very true.

Watching this on Gold. What a great show. The plot lines are so intricate and the payoffs very funny.

Quote: Will Cam @ 15th February 2017, 10:46 AM

Watching this on Gold. What a great show. The plot lines are so intricate and the payoffs very funny.

Such similarities with Jonathan Creek.

Nothing is irrelevant. It comes back to matter later on.

I think David Renwick is the cleverest writer to have written for British television.

Quote: Jack Massey @ 6th February 2008, 2:58 AM

Just surprised nobody has started a thread on this brilliant sitcom. For me the best sitcom since the 1970's. Favourite episodes:
1. Love and Death
2. Hearts of Darkness
3. The Beast in the Cage

Just a brilliant sitcom.

Here, here.

This sitcom is right up there with Only Fools, Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army for me.

This comedy holds a special place in my heart as my grandparents brought me up on this wonderful and creative programme. I can hear my old Nan giggling to almost insanity at literally anything Victor Meldrew said or did right now.

Even though they killed him off, they could still get away with a come-back (I know there was the comic relief one-off they did).

Love it.

Some people have been discussing one or two mystery plots in the show and one for me has always been their immidiate family.

We met Victor's brother. Heard, but not seen Margaret's mother. Also saw a sort of foster child Margaret had in one episode, who turned out to be a fraudster.

There was one fairly poignant moment in the show where a door-to-door salesman was trying to sell toy dinosaurs to Victor. The salesman made the assumption Victor would perhaps buy them for his grandchildren. Victor said something like "How do you know I even have grandchildren? I might be completely sterile." - not verbatim.

So perhaps it was established Victor was infertile perhaps? I don't know. Would be typical of Renwick to put in a hidden easter egg like that if so.

One of the best supporting characters has to be Mrs. Warboys. Up there with your Trigger's of Only Fools etc.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 3rd June 2018, 1:27 PM

Some people have been discussing one or two mystery plots in the show and one for me has always been their immidiate family.

So perhaps it was established Victor was infertile perhaps? I don't know. Would be typical of Renwick to put in a hidden easter egg like that if so.

In one episode, I think it's 'Timeless Time' from series 2, it is briefly hinted that Victor and Margaret had lost a son when he was young.

Quote: whatkindoffoolami @ 14th December 2016, 6:02 AM

Very true.

I can not add to that summary. It was a sad day when Victor was knocked over and killed.. killing off at the same time one of the all time great Brit sitcoms.
Angry

I would love to see a modern adaptation of One Foot.

Imagine all the shit to moan about for a modern-day Victor.

Who would play Victor's equivalent?

The fellow who was in Beaky's sitcom.

Remember when ITV aired the first millionaire win at same time poor Victor passed.

Dirty tactics there. Thankfully we all remember fondly the final episode vs some randomer who won some money on a TV show.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 10th June 2018, 8:16 AM

Remember when ITV aired the first millionaire win at same time poor Victor passed.

Dirty tactics there. Thankfully we all remember fondly the final episode vs some randomer who won some money on a TV show.

I'm afraid not. I've no idea when someone won £1,000,000 or even cared.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th June 2018, 9:45 PM

The fellow who was in Beaky's sitcom.

What was that?

Simon Callow.

Quote: beaky @ 23rd June 2018, 12:47 AM

Simon Callow.

Ah - the geezer from Four Weddings?

What was beakey's sitcom?