Swearing in sitcoms before 1990s Page 3

Quote: Chappers @ 11th February 2014, 9:45 PM GMT

Of course Arse is a swear word. He wasn't talking about a f****ing Donkey!

Yes but "posh" people can say arse and make it not sound like swearing.

So Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster could say "you really are an arse" and it WON'T sound like swearing.

But a "working class" person may say "I'm going to kick you in the arse" and it WILL sound like swearing.

It drives me mad in American films when someone says: "Get your ass over here!" or: "I'll bust your sorry ass!" I always shout:"What about the rest of his body? You just want a disembodied bottom? You're only going to bust his buttocks?" I mean, honestly.

Quote: beaky @ 12th February 2014, 1:59 PM GMT

It drives me mad in American films when someone says: "Get your ass over here!" or: "I'll bust your sorry ass!" I always shout:"What about the rest of his body? You just want a disembodied bottom? You're only going to bust his buttocks?" I mean, honestly.

Or do they mean their fanny?

In the Steptoe And Son episode Men Of Letters when Albert and Harold are playing Scrabble, the camera pans in on the board and these are some of the words that Albert had come up with.

Cock
Vibrators
Tit
Rape
Nipple
Spunk
Bum

In Only Fools And Horses there was the word 'Paki' in a couple of episodes but I wouldn't class that as a swear word.

Quite a few swear words in Last Of The Summer Wine.

Has everyone forgotten that school yard favourite 'bloody Nora' from Love Thy Neighbour?

That must be it. :)

Quote: george roper @ 27th May 2014, 6:05 PM BST

In Only Fools And Horses there was the word 'Paki' in a couple of episodes but I wouldn't class that as a swear word.

Quite a few swear words in Last Of The Summer Wine.

Last of the Summer Wine does indeed have some interesting language in its early episodes.

Some people would probably be surprised to see them using phrases like 'Shag off' for example.

Not to mention the episode where Foggy called Wally Batty a c*nt

To which Wally replied "I'll go to top of the mithering mothersucking stairs!"

Then things got ugly. Thora Hird had to step in...

Laughing out loud

Quote: Peej @ 31st May 2014, 8:48 AM BST

Has everyone forgotten that school yard favourite 'bloody Nora' from Love Thy Neighbour?

I use it regularly.

Not really a swearword but in On The Buses, Blakey used the word jibbering jackarse.

Jackass, George. It's where we get the word 'ass' for a donkey from.

Porridge had stuff like naff off and you nerk, and my favourite line is scrote, which Fletcher used.