Swearing in sitcoms before 1990s Page 4

Swearing is often made funnier by a background noise bleeding right over the words as they say them. It's then left to your own imagination as to what they said.

Quote: george roper @ 27th May 2014, 6:05 PM BST

In Only Fools And Horses there was the word 'Paki' in a couple of episodes but I wouldn't class that as a swear word.

Depends what you classify as a swearword . . . it's certainly now seen as a racial slur on the level with "the N word" . . . although I seem to recall it being used in The Office, although that was used to illustrate Brent not wanting to appear racist but deep down he slightly was . . . Although I'd hazard a guess that any repeats of those episodes of OFAH the word is bleeped or cut out like they did with Fawlty Towers . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 5th June 2014, 8:13 AM BST

Depends what you classify as a swearword . . . it's certainly now seen as a racial slur on the level with "the N word" . . . although I seem to recall it being used in The Office, although that was used to illustrate Brent not wanting to appear racist but deep down he slightly was . . . Although I'd hazard a guess that any repeats of those episodes of OFAH the word is bleeped or cut out like they did with Fawlty Towers . . .

Well to be honest it doesn't really bother me, because they are still funny and amazing to watch and times have changed so much since the 70s and 80s & 90s. :)

Quote: george roper @ 5th June 2014, 1:18 PM BST

Well to be honest it doesn't really bother me, because they are still funny and amazing to watch and times have changed so much since the 70s and 80s & 90s. :)

I don't think it bothers any of us on here because we are, by and large, sensible people. However there are certain people - usuallly white middle class people - who take offence by proxy.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th June 2014, 7:14 PM BST

I don't think it bothers any of us on here because we are, by and large, sensible people. However there are certain people - usuallly white middle class people - who take offence by proxy.

I don't take any offence by this, I love sitcoms and many more stuff like films etc which aren't, like nowdays not with today's standards.