Things that piss you off Page 1,489

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 10:15 PM BST

Sacrificing your independence, giving up your career, being a baby factory, carrying out the domestic chores as hubby works - I'm pretty sure those aren't feminist ideals.

Unless feminism has changed to mean just about anything, in which case, it's a meaningless platitude at best.

Of course they are. My feminism (which is a fairly mainstream one) is about have the freedom to make those choices. Being forced to do any of those things is anti-feminist.

Feminism hasn't changed, you've just misunderstood it.

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 10:15 PM BST

Sexy and frump are not the only two choices. Well, I don't think the three pics I posted on the last page are frumpy. Maybe you do.

Now here's the funny thing, Black Widow's skin tight outfit showing off her boobs and arse is considered to be non-sexist, but Wonder Woman's outfit that shows off her boobs and arse is sexist?

It's a very thin and somewhat contradictory line you are drawing. What is the tipping point? Is Wonder Woman's cleavage more or less sexist than Black Widow's camel toe?

Do I have to explain my opinion a third time?
Okay, Wonderwoman = tacky, lame, Abba-fied and apparently sexy, but not to me.
The others I posted = cool and sexy.

Feminism, sexism,racism all needless really. Just treat everyone on an equal standing whatever sex, colour or inside leg measurement. Problem is humans seem to be drawn to prejudice and I'm not sure where it all originates from. It's not evident in the animal kingdom that I know of.

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 10:18 PM BST

http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/who_goes_to_the_movies_moviegoers_stats_from_2010

Always with the facts. Tsk tsk.

Quote: Jennie @ 6th May 2014, 10:19 PM BST

Feminism hasn't changed, you've just misunderstood it.

Feminism has changed. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95874

'Gloria Steinem, the feminist icon who once dismissed marriage as an institution that destroys relationships, is a first-time bride at the age of 66.'

It has morphed from it's original ideals into a wishy washy, centre ground, liberal, middle class, anything goes, past time. In days gone by, a woman like Katie Price, who shagged her way to fame and fortune, would never be considered a feminist icon - but she is now, for some weird reason.

Feminism isn't about equality, it's about picking and choosing 'slights'. Yeah, they'll campaign against Blurred Lines and then put the most misogynistic rap song on their iPhone without missing a beat. That's not a choice, that's wilful ignorance.

Hell, most of the time, women won't even know something is sexist until someone tells them it's sexist. To use one of sootyj's favourite quotes 'it's tilting at windmills'.

Quote: roscoff @ 6th May 2014, 10:29 PM BST

Just treat everyone on an equal standing whatever sex, colour or inside leg measurement.

But treating everyone equally does not mean treating them the same. That is where we run into difficulties.

Quote: roscoff @ 6th May 2014, 10:29 PM BST

It's not evident in the animal kingdom that I know of.

The animal kingdom is non-stop rape.

True, we are thick as shit. Lucky we've got you to help us!

Quote: Marc P @ 6th May 2014, 10:31 PM BST

;)

Quote: Marc P @ 6th May 2014, 10:31 PM BST

She's such a spoilsport. Angry

Everyone knows when arguing with RCP you are only allowed to quote from blogs/ and or little read American news articles.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 10:33 PM BST

Feminism has changed. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95874

'Gloria Steinem, the feminist icon who once dismissed marriage as an institution that destroys relationships, is a first-time bride at the age of 66.'

No, a woman has changed her mind.

That happens sometimes.

In days gone by, a woman like Katie Price, who shagged her way to fame and fortune,

She didn't actually.

would never be considered a feminist icon - but she is now, for some weird reason.

No she isn't.

Feminism isn't about equality, it's about picking and choosing 'slights'.

No, it's about equality. But we are moving a pile of stones, not a mountain.

Yeah, they'll campaign against Blurred Lines and then put the most misogynistic rap song on their iPhone without missing a beat. That's not a choice, that's wilful ignorance.

I love it when you make shit up.

Hell, most of the time, women won't even know something is sexist until someone tells them it's sexist. To use one of sootyj's favourite quotes 'it's tilting at windmills'.

Thank goodness we have someone as knowledgeable as you to point out all the sexism.

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 10:18 PM BST

http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/who_goes_to_the_movies_moviegoers_stats_from_2010

https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/hollywood-demographics-2.html

'According to the MPAA, females purchased much fewer movie tickets in 2011 and 2010 in the U.S. and Canada compared to 2009, going from 55% of movie tickets sold to 50% of tickets sold. Males purchased more tickets in 2011 and 2010 compared to 2009, from 45% of the tickets sold to about 50%.'

That's the funny thing about 'facts'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 10:12 PM BST

The number one demographic for box office success is teenage boys, they buy more cinema tickets than any other group.

As one who was passed over for a promotion for being a young married woman (there were 3 of us plus a nun ... Guess who got the promotion, though she'd less experience? And she turned out to be useless) I was about to join in this rammy, but zooo and Jenny are fighting the corner well. Gawn yersels, hens!

Quote: Jennie @ 6th May 2014, 10:41 PM BST

No, a woman has changed her mind.

A subdued way of saying she betrayed her ideals and contravened the very tenets of her movement.

Well these facts you present contradict the statement made re films target audience or whatever it was about males buying 'more tickets:)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 10:52 PM BST

A subdued way of saying she betrayed her ideals and contravened the very tenets of her movement.

Has she seen a proctologist?