Sitcom recommendations Page 7

I thought the first few episodes of That Mitchell And Webb Look were the funniest personally.

Three Australian recommendations for you:

1. Lano and Woodley - Sort of like Mr Bean but with Young Ones dialogue. Was massive here back 1996-7

2. Double the Fist - This show is completely unique. I believe it's a must watch but unfortunately no-one here has heard of it either. It got lost on the multicultural channel (SBS) that no-one here watches. Both seasons are good, 2nd is best. There's no laugh track and they don't pause for laughs, but it's completely silly, and you've got to try it.

3. Problems - Came out this year. No laugh track. Same style as Snuff Box, nowhere near as good.

Oh and a New Zealand recommendation:

Flight of the Concords - First season is a pisser. It's a sitcom about two terrible musicians living in New York trying to get by and having to deal with failure and Americans.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ July 21 2013, 1:43 PM BST

Flight of the Concords - First season is a pisser. It's a sitcom about two terrible musicians living in New York trying to get by and having to deal with failure and Americans.

Loosely based on their 2005 BBC Radio 2 sitcom of the same name.

Flight of the Concords - First season is a pisser.

Does that mean it's good or bad?
Sounds a bit negative but I shall assume it translates as flipping awesome.

Oh and a New Zealand recommendation:

Flight of the Concords - First season is a pisser.

Quote: zooo @ July 22 2013, 2:12 PM BST

Does that mean it's good or bad?
Sounds a bit negative but I shall assume it translates as flipping awesome.

I should imagine it relates to the escalation of a laughter response reaching such a tumultuous level so as to cause the involuntary passage of urine in a such a way as to be a source of merriment rather than distress. :P

Quote: Aaron @ July 22 2013, 2:03 PM BST

Loosely based on their 2005 BBC Radio 2 sitcom of the same name.

*cough*

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 25 2013, 1:54 PM BST

Also, what about "Flight of the Conchords"? I love its laid-back pace and tone, but it can be hilarious at times too.

Quote: George Kaplan @ June 26 2013, 2:04 AM BST

And Flight of the Conchords are from New Zealand and did a radio show for the BBC before they made their TV series for HBO.

Taken from the What are the best funny sitcoms from 2000 - now? thread.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/18246/

I interpreted Maurice's lack of response at the time as either: a/ a silent pass, or b/ on his list, but not got around to it yet. :)

Okay sorry 'bout that fellas. :) Thanks for the Aussie recommendation Chops, but I didn't really love Lano and Woodley for some reason. Far less dialogue oriented I'd say. I had watched Summer Heights High (entire series), which I found enjoyable at the time, and one episode of Danger 5, which I didn't like much.

Flight of the Conchords, I'll try it out TY :)

Quote: Maurice Moss @ July 22 2013, 7:39 PM BST

Flight of the Conchords, I'll try it out TY :)

Based on my experience, I'd say that ideally you need to give it a few episodes. It's not something you can make a snap judgement about as it has quite a unique pace and tone. It took a while to totally win me over, but once it did, I was hooked.

Some of the songs/music video pastiches are very funny.

You're right. It's not completely hilarious, but it's got some great moments. It's the sort of show that's best once you know the characters, so maybe it's like OFAH :-p

A lot of the jokes are about cultural cringe, so you guys may not laugh. For instance, in one of the episodes the PM travels to New York, but all he cares about is trying to get The Matrix on DVD. It's funny to us because everything comes out so late over this side of the world.

There's another great episode where he gets an Australian girlfriend so all his friends shun him because they think all Aussies are racist and bullies towards Kiwis. He spends the rest of the episode trying to figure out how she's belittling him...

Have you ever tried to describe a show only to realise they ripped off a Seinfield episode? Seriously Maurice! I generally don't like American humour either. Watch Seinfield. As difficult as it is to compare a show with about 240 episodes to a British sitcom, I'd put it in my top 4 sitcoms, equally as good as Fawlty Towers and Black Adder, and Black Books.

Graham Linehan says Seinfeld is a big inspiration of his. It gets good around the 3rd season onwards.

@George thanks, I hope it clicks though, because I generally don't prefer slow sitcoms. 15 Storeys High, Arrested Development and maybe Nathan Barley (well not exactly slow) is probably the exception.

@Chop - I know, it's just me! I've given Seinfeld a shot and really wanted to like it, but I just can't seem to enjoy it for some reason. I also know that Linehan loves Seinfeld (and makes a lot of Seinfeld references too IIRC). It's sort of like Monty Python TV show - I can appreciate it, but not really find it myself very funny.

I know the feeling.

Can I suggest 'Look Around You'?

I haven't read the whole thread, so if these are already suggested my apologies.

For laugh out loud I was obsessed a little with:

Mongrels

'Allo 'Allo! - dated but still absolutely hilarious.

The Smoking Room, it's subtle but gave me some real belly laughs.

Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom of all time.

If you like goofy, silly, sitcom, then it'll be hard for you not to love Seinfeld from season 3 and on wards.

Kramer fits the goofy, silly, sitcom character role perfectly. His over the top reactions to most things is was one of the highlights of the show along with most George Constanza interactions with pretty much everybody.

Seinfeld has so many classic moments. The Jerkstore, my father's gay, we were face to face like a catcher and an umpire, etc. etc. etc.

I highly recommend you give it another try going from halfway of season 3 or just begin from season 4 and move on forward from there.

When Seinfeld first aired I didn't care for it either. But when they started repeating it constantly on a few cable stations I wound up catching it now and again. It does grow on you. I own the complete run on DVD.

The Magic Loogie episode was great!