Lab Rats Page 30

Lab Rats: Cruel and painful.

Quote: Griff @ January 7 2009, 1:31 PM GMT

OK everybody. Thinking caps on for the best Lab Rats heckle.

(A more cynical version of my views of the programme could say)

And why should we put effort into a creative line, when none of the writers did?

Ba bum bum tsch, I'm here all week...

(Not) Dan

And his radio stuff is pretty good, I reckon. Though he is better at that "talking at you, voice-over style" rather than his acting in this, which seemed a bit stilted. Though, yes, he was excellent in The Thick Of It.

Again, I have no real point...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 7 2009, 1:40 PM GMT

Again, I have no real point...

Glad you can finally admit it. ;)

Never understood the venom that Lab Rats attracts. It did not come off, but the premise was solid and the talent of those involved and the hard work that had gone to scripts were plain to see. As an aspiring writer I found the show fascinating – there is much more to be learnt from the failure of a show like this, than one such as Clone which simply should never have been commissioned. I would love to see the show given a second series to see if they could fix it.

Quote: Timbo @ January 7 2009, 2:04 PM GMT

Never understood the venom that Lab Rats attracts. It did not come off, but the premise was solid and the talent of those involved and the hard work that had gone to scripts were plain to see. As an aspiring writer I found the show fascinating – there is much more to be learnt from the failure of a show like this, than one such as Clone which simply should never have been commissioned. I would love to see the show given a second series to see if they could fix it.

I didn't mind it too much to be honest. It certainly wasn't great, but it kept me watching, and at times tittering. At least two of the characters could have been dropped though. Or made funny.

I think there was an uneveness of tone, Addison's character was too sane and the performance too naturalsitic given the cartoon nature of the other characters and the silliness of the plots and some of the gags. Some of the gags were probably too silly to work on television anyway - it is a rather literal medium that does not cope well with flights of fancy. Agree that not all the characters worked - Selina Cadell is a good comic actress, but I thought she was miscast, and the lad playing Addison's sidekick could not seem to get a handle on the role.

Oi Addison! Was the comedy in Lab Rats experimental?

Quote: chipolata @ January 7 2009, 1:43 PM GMT

Glad you can finally admit it. ;)

Damn you, and your witty retorts <shakes fist smiley, (a bit Alan Rickman)>

Dan

Harsh, but fair (?):

"Has the BBC had a lobotomy, or have we seen the last of Lab Rats?

Might I ask why we've suddenly started on Lab Rats again? Has there been nothing worse to slag off since? I think you'll find there has.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 7 2009, 3:17 PM GMT

Has there been nothing worse to slag off since? I think you'll find there has.

But we're trying desperately to forget Peter Kay.

Quote: Griff @ January 7 2009, 3:20 PM GMT

Bullies always like to pick on past victims as well as finding new ones. I know I do.

And I thought you were so sophisticated!

Griff, Winner, Most Sophisticated Bully 2005-2007. Runner-Up 2008

Dan

I think the reason Lab Rats attracted such ire was a case of expectations. Armando Ianucci (legend) was producing and Chris Addison (likeable up and coming comedian with some great radio work to his name) was writing and starring in it. Add to that it was touted as a move away from dour naturalism back towards "big, silly" comedy... Expectations were so high, that when it failed the only fun to be had was tearing it to shreds.