Hancock Page 4

Hancock died while I was in the womb which was unfortunate - for both of us.

I started listening to Hancock via an LP recording of the Blood Donor and Radio Ham in the mid-70s and collected the LPs avidly after that.

At Christmas I got a 2CD set of 2 missing episodes plus some interviews with Galton & Simpson.

Oh, I nearly forgot. I 'interviewed' G&S at Ray's house four years ago - a truly awesome experience and just shows what can happen (and who you can meet) if you ask the right questions of the right people.

Thinking back I can't quite believe it happened. I was invited in by Ray before Alan arrived and we chatted in this miniscule kitchen while he made tea. The house is really grand but a bit rough round the edges these days but I'll never forget that kitchen because it was so out of proportion with the house.

Interesting that there were disagreements between the two over 'facts' and details in Freddie Hancock's biog.

I asked them about the results for the Best British Sitcom on the BBC. Consensus was that 30 for Hancock was pretty good considering its age, black and white and that it doesn't get shown that often. Ray was horrified that Vicar of Dibley was No.3.

Steptoe was 15 and it was felt that the subject matter meant that it wasn't repeated as often as it might be but it was fascinating to go over their career like that.

I recorded the interview and edited it onto a single CD so it was a nice memento plus I got a book of Hancock photos autographed.

I had planned to publish an article to commemorate what would've been Hancock's 80th birthday and 50th anniversary of the first show but the opportunity was missed. May revisit that CD to write an article now I've read this.

You .... Christ. I am consumed with jealousy right now.

*goes and sits in the corner*

Wow, and this you nearly forgot!

What do you remember then?

:)

Quote: Aaron @ January 22, 2008, 9:49 PM

You .... Christ. I am consumed with jealousy right now.

*goes and sits in the corner*

Like I said, I just asked. I was surprised as anyone when they said yes.

Oh, and I'm a LOUSY interviewer - it's cringe-making to say the least! Rolling eyes

Here OldRocker. Let's discuss it here.

I remember him from sunday lunchtimes and my dad had an EP (I'll explain if I must) including I think the Test Pilot.

I really only remember that and the Blood Donor which I'm sure everyone knows.

Maybe I should try to discover some of them. I remember the TV show better though with the Bowmans.

And of course East Cheam is just down the road.

I strongly advise any comedy fan to buy the complete Hancock box set. It has every episode and some TV specials such as his excellent Face to Face programme with Alan Freeman.

I've got a pretty rare Hancock Annual must date back to the sixties, it's in mint condition and contains 4 of the scripts.

Two of my favourite episodes of HHH was The Missing Page and also The Economy Drive.

I loved them all, guy was a genius and so were the writers Galton and Simpson.

Geek

Quote: Chappers @ November 25 2009, 12:22 AM GMT

Here OldRocker. Let's discuss it here.

I remember him from sunday lunchtimes and my dad had an EP (i'll explain if I must)including I think the Test Pilot.

I really only remember that and the Blood Donor which I'm sure everyone knows.

Maybe I should try to discover some of them. I remember the TV show better though with the Bowmans.

And of course East Cheam is just down the road.

The Test Pilot . .

KW (a mechanic who has got on the plane accidentally) 'Do you know, the stars said that today was my lucky day!.'

TH 'Well if we keep going up at this rate you'll be able to tell them they were wrong!'

Discover them? You must you must. To my mind HHH was one of the seminal sitcoms of this country.

:P

See Amazon product listing

Less than £25 ? Ridiculous !

Although, I have to say I incline more (that's because I'm pissed!) towards the radio programmes.

Aaron! Edit link for a couple of bob towards a foot spa.

I've been a fan for a while now, got a few radio shows on tape, and TV shows on video, also got that remake of the missing page and the reunion party he did for LP, which was the last thing he did with Sid, not as bad as everyone says IMO. Anyway my fave TV episode is The East Cheam Centenary, and favourite radio show, The Christmas Club or the ome where Hancook loses his radio show job to an impressionist

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 25 2009, 1:03 AM GMT

KW (a mechanic who has got on the plane accidentally) 'Do you know, the stars said that today was my lucky day!.'

TH 'Well if we keep going up at this rate you'll be able to tell them they were wrong!'

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 25 2009, 1:03 AM GMT

See Amazon product listing

Less than £25 ? Ridiculous !

Although, I have to say I incline more (that's because I'm pissed!) towards the radio programmes.

Aaron! Edit link for a couple of bob towards a foot spa.

Done! Cool

OK, I'm really not trolling here or deliberately trying to be different, but I don't reckon him much. Sorry.

I think the shows are quite good, I think Sid James and Kenneth Williams are excellent, as was G&S's writing, but Hancock himself was either a master at playing the straight man and allowing others to shine...

Or not, since he was known to be extremely insecure with delusions of grandure, and sacked his writers who went on to 'invent' sitcoms proper now that that pesky Hancock bloke wasn't trying to hog the limelight, and did very well at it too.

No wonder he used to get so jealous of Sid and Kenneth getting more laughs than him, they were actually funnier!

Quote: joebloggs69 @ December 9 2009, 3:41 PM GMT

OK, I'm really not trolling here or deliberately trying to be different, but I don't reckon him much. Sorry.

I think the shows are quite good, I think Sid James and Kenneth Williams are excellent, as was G&S's writing, but Hancock himself was either a master at playing the straight man and allowing others to shine...

Or not, since he was known to be extremely insecure with delusions of grandure, and sacked his writers who went on to 'invent' sitcoms proper now that that pesky Hancock bloke wasn't trying to hog the limelight, and did very well at it too.

No wonder he used to get so jealous of Sid and Kenneth getting more laughs than him, they were actually funnier!

I'd say Sid was just as funny (in Hancock's Half Hour and the early Carry On films - I'm not a lover of the later ones) and Kenneth Williams was only good in HHH, Carry On Nurse and that children's show Galloping Galaxies where he did the voice of the ship's computer. Just my opinion.

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 9 2009, 8:53 PM GMT

I'd say Sid was just as funny (in Hancock's Half Hour and the early Carry On films - I'm not a lover of the later ones) and Kenneth Williams was only good in HHH, Carry On Nurse and that children's show Galloping Galaxies where he did the voice of the ship's computer. Just my opinion.

Only good in HHH. Bit harsh on things like Beyond Our Ken and Round the Horne. Not forgetting Willo The Wisp as well. That Mavis Cruet was a looker.

I'm saying absolutely nothing.

A true test is to see if the performer can transcend their era. He died before I was born and I'm a massive fan. I can name five people straight off (not BCGers) who are under 50 who'd never have seen the original shows and own copies of HHH in some format or other.

OK, we all have our preferences but the general view is that the show still stands up and is enjoyed by people of pretty much any age.

How many other 50s sitcoms are still talked about?

Recently caught a 60s caper comedy called the Oblong Box which contains possibly one of Hancock's last film appearances. He has a cameo playing a policeman who forgets all his words and is very tragic and sad to watch.
The onset of his depression and alcoholism is also evident in Punch and Judy Man which shows him appearing so melancholic he looks oddly like Gordon Brown.