General Election 2015 Page 18

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 1:20 AM BST

The last I heard of her, she also wanted to be a Lib Dem candidate although sources who used to be close to me - God knows why - suggested she hovers alluringly between them and the wealthy Blairites.

Wow. Really?
Boadicea wants to be an MP?

Well, if you can be an MP on 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' then I guess anything's possible.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 1:20 AM BST

Have you noticed how Nick Clegg now says "swivel eyed loons" in every speech that he makes?

That may be true. But then one of the people he's talking about has unveiled a list of his commandments on a stone tablet. Maybe Nick's onto something here....

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 1:28 AM BST

Wow. Really?
Boadicea wants to be an MP?

Well, if you can be an MP on 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' then I guess anything's possible.

You do realise that she was arguably the Queen of Economics in Whitehall when the crash occurred?

Yep.......that good.

(Deputy Head of the UK Government Economic Service - 2004-2007 and Joint Head - 2007-2010).

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 1:33 AM BST

You do realise that she was arguably the Queen of Economics in Whitehall when the crash occurred?

Yep.......that good.

No. I did not know that.
But it sort of fits.

After all, the Queen of the Iceni comes across as such an utterly reasonable person.

And all through the economic meltdown I had the feeling that there was a steady hand on the tiller.

I suspect I was not alone in having that impression. :P

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 1:40 AM BST

No. I did not know that.
But it sort of fits.

After all, the Queen of the Iceni comes across as such an utterly reasonable person.

And all through the economic meltdown I had the feeling that there was a steady hand on the tiller.

I suspect I was not alone in having that impression. :P

Yes.

A steady hand.

It's of Greek origin I believe. Whistling nnocently

Cornish Nationalists -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ap8deU-6c

Talk about slick.

I can remember when they were just five daft loons sitting in bath chairs. :S

Any news of Labour's conduit to God today?
After yesterday's revelation of the stone tablet I was wondering if today he may have been seen walking on water or maybe feeding the multitude with a bacon sarnie.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 2:37 PM BST

Any news of Labour's conduit to God today?
After yesterday's revelation of the stone tablet I was wondering if today he may have been seen walking on water or maybe feeding the multitude with a bacon sarnie.

It's just a rebalancing of the scales.

His father was a kitten murderer,

(Allegedly)

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/content/sunday-sport-accuses-ralph-miliband-killing-kitten

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 2:48 PM BST

It's just a rebalancing of the scales.

His father was a kitten murderer,

(Allegedly)

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/content/sunday-sport-accuses-ralph-miliband-killing-kitten

Was it his father who placed him in a reed basket as a baby to float down the Thames? :)

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 2:52 PM BST

Was it his father who placed him in a reed basket as a baby to float down the Thames? :)

Laughing out loud

I love the bit where she says he was, quote, "singing in a language I now know to be Belgian".

What do you think of our chances In Eurovision later in the week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgS7p40ERg

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 2:55 PM BST

Laughing out loud

I love the bit where she says he was, quote, "singing in a language I now know to be Belgian".

What do you think of our chances In Eurovision later in the week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgS7p40ERg

Hmmm.
It's perhaps what the true calling of our political leaders ought to be.
Britain's Eurovision entry!
Each one in a sequin blazer of their party' colour.

Cameron on lead vocals with Miliband as the nerdy keyboard man.
Farage would need to be the drummer, of course.
Sturgeon on guitar, that Plaid Cymru woman on base and Bennett with the tambourine.
And Clegg? He'd be the Boney M style gogo dancer.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 3:29 PM BST

Hmmm.
It's perhaps what the true calling of our political leaders ought to be.
Britain's Eurovision entry!
Each one in a sequin blazer of their party' colour.

Cameron on lead vocals with Miliband as the nerdy keyboard man.
Farage would need to be the drummer, of course.
Sturgeon on guitar, that Plaid Cymru woman on base and Bennett with the tambourine.
And Clegg? He'd be the Boney M style gogo dancer.

Nicola hasn't been on guitar since "Addicted to Love".

She was great in that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE Cool

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 3:50 PM BST

Nicola hasn't been on guitar since "Addicted to Love".

She was great in that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE Cool

Well, one problem we have of course is that our current generation of politicians
is not made up of Robert Palmer fans.
They would gladly ban that video 'for sending out the wrong body image'.

The censorship intentions of the two main parties sound pretty worrying.
Just where in the great firewall they appear determined to create they will draw the line is anyone's guess.
But once it's in operation a great many things may fall foul of it.
If the introduction of Cameron's web filters taught us anything it's that they do much more than it says on the tin.

Cause for concern.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 4th May 2015, 4:48 PM BST

Well, one problem we have of course is that our current generation of politicians
is not made up of Robert Palmer fans.
They would gladly ban that video 'for sending out the wrong body image'.

The censorship intentions of the two main parties sound pretty worrying.
Just where in the great firewall they appear determined to create they will draw the line is anyone's guess.
But once it's in operation a great many things may fall foul of it.
If the introduction of Cameron's web filters taught us anything it's that they do much more than it says on the tin.

Cause for concern.

I read a lot of this sort of thing from the David Davis brigade and wonder if there isn't a bit too much fretting. Perhaps for a change we could have some concrete examples, eg is the problem with cameras everywhere you turn that they get in the way of dogging? I'm being half serious on this policy point.

I saw the Liberal Democrat bus today. True story.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 5:07 PM BST

Perhaps for a change we could have some concrete examples

China.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th May 2015, 5:07 PM BST

I read a lot of this sort of thing from the David Davis brigade and wonder if there isn't a bit too much fretting. Perhaps for a change we could have some concrete examples, eg is the problem with cameras everywhere you turn that they get in the way of dogging? I'm being half serious on this policy point.

Well, we've had the filters. That's very concrete.
The Tory manifesto now contains a promise on adult websites. Labour concurs.
And with those two in cahoots, a majority is guaranteed either way.

If we see how the filters were designed to catch much more material than was claimed as the initial intention and if we see what is being put in place (ATVOD using BBFC rulings, BBFC now also being placed in charge of music or sports videos, etc) you can see where we're heading.

Now look at the various prevailing agendas in this sphere of current politics and it sends shivers down your spine.

As for cameras everywhere, it's hardly a matter of dogging. It's about the steady creep of the state.

Whereas one once might have been granted parliamentary permission to install cameras on motorways to oversee traffic, no one later bothered ever to ask for permission to link them with number plate recognising software. One simply did it.

The exponential increase of powers which derives from this is self-evident.
A traffic management measure suddenly becomes a tool by which to track and log movement of individual cars.

Hell, in Middlesbrough they even installed speakers to bark out orders at people from the camera operations room.
I think it might also have been Middlesbrough where they installed microphones in the supposed belief that they might pick up conversations of terrorists in public spaces. One can't really make it up.

Do not dismiss the David Davis agenda too lightly.
It took a great deal to get a hardliner like Davis to break with the easy 'law and order' rhetoric.

Blair readily locked suspects up without trial, or without even disclosing to them their supposed crime. Magna Carta is not worth that much anymore. (Yep, she died in vain.)

What is clear is that we should not trust the motives of the political elite on civil liberties. Their recent track record is more than dubious.