General Election 2015 Page 15

Quote: RUGBY @ 1st May 2015, 9:29 PM BST

The campaign is a massive cringe bus. I thought I was watching a re-run of Fifteen to One at one point... or waiting for phone a friend . I like Ballot Monkeys but The Thick Of It was original political satire at its best. :)

Welcome.

A very good post.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 1st May 2015, 8:51 PM BST

That, my friend, was my way of inviting you to elaborate on your point. :)

You seemed to have skipped a page and jumped from obesity and trendy 'addictions' to carrot & stick and benefits, etc without their being an immediately apparent link.

Hence I smiled warmly, had another sip of tea and gestured for you to expand a little... Biscuit?

I don't know why you are saying that I've missed a page. The carrot and stick are being used on the addicted and people who are overweight for the purposes of cutting benefits. Think what ATOS was like and also the New Labour ideas about taxpayers footing the bill for gym membership. What I'm saying is that it isn't those who have more sympathy with the disadvantaged who play the victim card. Bennett and Wood have both had personal tragedy and they say nothing about it. Hence, those "witches" are no more foul than fair. But Cameron keeps mentioning his son in a political context and Farage - who I quite like as a bloke - goes on about his plane crash. Perhaps we shouldn't be that surprised. It's the rich - lawyers, media etc - who invented the victim culture to make money from it.

Quote: RUGBY @ 1st May 2015, 9:29 PM BST

I like Ballot Monkeys but The Thick Of It was original political satire at its best. :)

No, it wasn't. :)

Cameron:

'This election is all about my career... sorry, I mean country':

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/david-cameron-makes-another-gaffe-this-election-is-all-about-my-career-sorry-i-mean-country-10218341.html

'I wanted to be the good-looking one with the beautiful girl, but it didn't work out that way':

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/david-cameron-on-peter-perfect-i-wanted-to-be-the-goodlooking-one-with-the-beautiful-girl-but-it-didnt-work-out-that-way-10159575.html

'I had what Natalie Bennett described as a brain fade. I'm a Villa fan ... I must have been overcome by something ... this morning.':

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-david-cameron-forgets-if-hes-an-aston-villa-or-west-ham-fan-10203685.html

Dillinger - Cocaine In My Brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVp1mauGnU Angry

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd May 2015, 5:27 PM BST

Cameron:

'This election is all about my career... sorry, I mean country':

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/david-cameron-makes-another-gaffe-this-election-is-all-about-my-career-sorry-i-mean-country-10218341.html

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd May 2015, 7:06 PM BST

I could think of other words for it.

"Nigel Who?"

Russia Today goes to Ramsgate to find out more about Farage:

http://rt.com/uk/254921-farage-ukip-thanet-opinion/

The video is a minor classic. Laughing out loud

Quote: A Horseradish @ 2nd May 2015, 7:14 PM BST

http://rt.com/uk/254921-farage-ukip-thanet-opinion/

The video is a minor classic. Laughing out loud

Thank you.
The most pertinent comment was, regarding Farage: "I can't see past him. There's Nigel Farage and then there's nothing." That sums up UKIP, it has a monumentally charismatic (and despite what people say, intelligent) leader, but very few credible members, and with policies which are either absurd, unworkable, or unpalatable.

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd May 2015, 7:30 PM BST

Thank you.
The most pertinent comment was, regarding Farage: "I can't see past him. There's Nigel Farage and then there's nothing." That sums up UKIP, it has a monumentally charismatic (and despite what people say, intelligent) leader, but very few credible members, and with policies which are either absurd, unworkable, or unpalatable.

Yes. I feel in some ways it would be a pity if he wasn't elected as I recognise the efforts he has put in. But I am not sure I would want to see many more of them in Parliament - if indeed any of the others.

Sorry, but you'd travel far to find more thickos than exist in UKIP. We have (unfortunately and shamefully) one Euro MP. In spite of his education at a fancy private school, he seems to have problems understanding the simplest of concepts. Thick as 2 short planks. Flunked out of Leeds Uni without a degree.

I'm convinced that some of UKIP's main appeal is in fact that they are not a slick machine.
People find much of their incompetence strangely attractive.
Because incompetence and buffoonery are at least genuine.

Whereas the slick, 'flawless' presentation of the established parties has long since been seen through by the populace and is despised as utter fakery.
In that regard, every time the press report on some UKIP politico tripping over his own tongue, the people only feel reinforced in their belief that this are at least real people and not a soulless legion of daleks endlessly repeating 'I agree with Dave/Ed/Nick.'

Personally, I see UKIP as a collection of well meaning little Englanders who possess all the good intentions needed to wreck the nation perminently.

But I agree with those people who say that they are at least not the fake, micro-managed, image-conscious monstrosities the other parties have become.

One suspects that UKipers at least know which football team they support, or how to eat a bacon sandwich. :)

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 2nd May 2015, 10:36 PM BST

I'm convinced that some of UKIP's main appeal is in fact that they are not a slick machine.

Whereas the slick, 'flawless' presentation of the established parties has long since been seen through by the populace and is despised as utter fakery.
In that regard, every time the press report on some UKIP politico tripping over his own tongue, the people only feel reinforced in their belief that this are at least real people and not a soulless legion of daleks endlessly repeating 'I agree with Dave/Ed/Nick.'

Personally, I see UKIP as a collection of well meaning little Englanders who possess all the good intentions needed to wreck the nation perminently.

But I agree with those people who say that they are at least not the fake, micro-managed, image-conscious monstrosities the other parties have become.

One suspects that UKipers at least know which football team they support, or how to eat a bacon sandwich. :)

There is some truth in what you say. A few months ago, I spotted the old boy in flat cap who was wheeling round a shopping trolley full of UKIP leaflets. I said "excuse me but do you realise you are delivering information about Surrey when we are officially London here. Most of what is in your leaflet is about a different area.". He replied "yes, so what, it doesn't matter" and then marched onwards.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 2nd May 2015, 10:36 PM BST

You are 100% spot on here. I was talking to someone about it just this evening. This is where the vast majority of their appeal comes from, and how they otherwise manage to get away with some pretty bonkers and objectionable policies and beliefs.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd May 2015, 10:47 PM BST

You are 100% spot on here. I was talking to someone about it just this evening. This is where the vast majority of their appeal comes from, and how they otherwise manage to get away with some pretty bonkers and objectionable policies and beliefs.

We'll have to stop agreeing like this, Aaron.
People will start talking.

Quick! Quick! Follow my lead...
Bluestone 42 is cr*p! Up the Taliban!

Things Can Only Get Better Part 2 -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/watch-teenage-busker-belt-out-5629427

Teenage busker, Matthew Gibb, 14 explained: "I'd just finished my set when I saw a group of people gathering and walked over to take a look. I was shoved into the circle by the crowd basically who said 'Oh you're the busker'. They asked me to pick a song and I just thought 'Why not, it'll be funny' so I used that song (Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution). They were all singing along but not realising what I was singing about. Jim Murphy was trying to sing along and Gordon Brown had his usual fake smile on."

Was I dreaming earlier? Or did Eddie Miliband really unveil a stone monument with his party's policies engraved on it?
And he wants to put it in the garden of Number 10 if he wins.

Is it me, or does this just come across as a little surreal?
It's sort of parallel dimension stuff.

Yes, I know the key phrase to look for is 'set in stone'.
But subtlety isn't his strong suit, is it?

To me it looks like one of those concrete segments of the Berlin wall.
Some say it rather resembles an over-sized gravestone.

Who knows, perhaps we've finally solved the riddle of Stonehenge.
The stones are previous manifesto stones with the writing worn away.

Anyhow, I shall now lean back and wait for Nigel Farage to launch a ship named after his five main policies...

He's taking the Jew thing a bit too far, IMO.