DIY Page 13

Quote: Nogget @ 28th May 2015, 12:40 PM BST

If I have a modern fuse box with circuit breakers, do I still need a plug-in circuit breaker for safety when using an electrical power tool?

Not necessarily, but you can use one with a lower trip current in the hope that it will trip first and so hopefully the mains trip won't activate which would/might turn off all your computers & TV sets etc abruptly with a risk of scrambling hard disk data.

Bah. Humbug.

Went to cut about a quarter inch off the bottom of a hollow door to give clearance when a new wooden floor will be done and found that the builders back in the 70's had already shortened the door so much that there was already no bottom beam left.

It was fragile and a wonder that it had not broken over the intervening years.

They must have bought a job lot of doors that were too tall!

Slot and glue a new bit in?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th March 2016, 4:06 PM GMT

Slot and glue a new bit in?

Yep, waiting now for the glue to set. Then I can use my trusty router to perform the chop that I was gonna do this morning.

Dunno how long "No More Nails" glue takes to set though, it doesn't say on the tube.

This is the second one of these that I've had to repair this way and there's one more that will have to be done in a day or so,

Fairly quickly, but I like to be patient and give it 24 hours to go rock solid.

Quote: billwill @ 7th March 2016, 4:10 PM GMT

Yep, waiting now for the glue to set. Then I can use my trusty router to perform the chop that I was gonna do this morning.

Dunno how long "No More Nails" glue takes to set though, it doesn't say on the tube.

This is the second one of these that I've had to repair this way and there's one more that will have to be done in a day or so,

Dunnit ! Rolling eyes

Laying wooden floor in the dining room; don't seem to have as much energy as when I did the bedrooms about a year ago. Then I was able to do 4 rows of 'planks' per day; currently only managing 2 rows per day.

Quite tiring because these boards don't lie down properly in their as purchased state (engineered boards with a thin Oak top layer) so the interlock grooves of each board have to be sandpapered extensively to loosen them up; takes about 15 mins to sand each board and takes three and a half (appx) boards per row.

Also found to my annoyance that when I shortened the door earlier this month (see above) I didn't take enough off and will need to get the router out again.

And so the saga of "The Door" goes on. Rolling eyes

Wooden Flooring

Inserting new bottom in door

Cutting the bottom of door with a router.

Quote: billwill @ 28th March 2016, 2:00 AM BST

Inserting new bottom in door

Nice selection of clamps Bill, 'smatter couldn't make up your mind which was best when you bought each one of them. ;)

Apart from that, why are you not using a strip of protective timber between said clamps and the door, which also gives a more even pressure?

I don't do much DIY, but later on I will be disassembling some cupboards!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th March 2016, 9:22 AM BST

Nice selection of clamps Bill, 'smatter couldn't make up your mind which was best when you bought each one of them. ;)

Apart from that, why are you not using a strip of protective timber between said clamps and the door, which also gives a more even pressure?

1. Bought at different times for different purposes.

2. I didnt have anything to hand rigid enough
Rolling eyes

I wouldn't have thought of using a router, wouldn't a circular saw be better for a straight edge?

If you use your router won't you lose your email?

Quote: sootyj @ 29th March 2016, 8:49 AM BST

If you use your router won't you lose your email?

You're thinking of the English router, here we a talking about the American router..........you know, that country where they don't know how to pronounce words.